Handling upgrades

garygttdi

Hi Gang having taken the car as far as we can without forced induction on the engine side, been thinking about some mods and discussing with Mark at Abbey, a change to coil overs. Is this the best way to start improving the handling or should I be looking at poly bushes etc . I gather a lot can be done under the car with bracing and the diff benefits greatly from better mounts etc. Just trying to figure out what to do first and how far to go, I absolutely do not want a bone jarring ride in the car just for it to feel more planted when I throw it at a nice bend on an A road down in sunny Devon.

Thanks in anticipation guys. :)

Going from what you say you fancy, steer clear of coilies then, unless you get a super expensive set and spend a lot getting them right !! My last car had a set of Bilistiens which were good, but got on nerves after a while, even though the damping was perfect. Smashing on track mind you.

If you just want a firmer more planted ride have you thought about some thicker ARB's and a new Geo setting ??

Bushes might give you too much vibration, or make too hard, where doing the above should just firm things up and give the car a better footprint with the geo.

Id agree with the uprated ARB's. Cant believe how much they improved the car through the corners, and as long as they are not on their hardest setting, the ride feels totally standard. If on the hardest setting, they jiggle the car abit, which is a little anoying on the motorway, and long trips, but on a track is awesome. Thought id have to go to coilovers to get good cornering, but very happy with it now. Coilovers maybe on the cards at some point soon, at which point, Alex will be my first port of call.

I have the Eibach ARB's which are adjustable, 2 point on the fronr, 3 on the back. These come with ARB bushes anyway, but I think Alex is talking about the Banana arm bushes. I have these, and have to say there was an improvement over stock. I changed the ARB's myself on the drive, which was fun. lol

The front one was easy, rear one less so, but it is a DIY job if your up for it. Id say remove the back box of the exhaust though, as its pretty impossible without doing it. Believe me, i spent an hour trying. The adjustment can be done with the car stationary if you dont mine laying on the ground, and once you have done it a couple of times, is 5 minutes per corner.

OP, Alex is a great guy to get stuff off, but might be worth you having another chat with Mark @ Abbey too - when I spoke with him a while back about coilovers he was saying the damping/spring rates they run on the BC units actually give a more compliant ride over bumps that the sometimes choppy ride on the OEM shocks. I'm intending to get some of them fitted at service time in a few months. Can recommend the superpro bushes too - they sharpen things up nicely :thumbs:

Personally I would have gone for bracing and ARBS before I went for coilovers - suppose it depends if you want to track the car or not...

Id do it the other way round myself, always found coilovers stiffen a car up a lot, you can then tweak with braces and ARB's if you so desire :)

Theres no correct answer, Id be careful not to go too stiff though as the compliance on the Zed makes it a really nice drive :)