Rockingham track day - come have some fun

Will370z

Andy and I have had a lot of fun recently on track days with the BMW. Awesome way to spend a day.

But it is even better if you go with your mates. Castle Coombe recently was the best day yet with Darren, Chris, Ken, Karrah, Graham and Ian.

Since then a number of people have mentioned about wanting to start taking their zeds to track days, well here is your chance.

Darren, Andy, Phil and I have all booked on to go to Rockingham on Sunday 18th August. It's a cracking circuit and should be a lot of fun. Price is £195 for the whole day.

Here is the link:

http://www.trackdays...rtrackday/6915/

As long as you are sensible and don't drive beyond your skill level It is a perfectly safe way to enjoy your zed r any other car you fancy. I thoroughly recommend it.

I am not going to organise anything as a group but recommend that if you fancy coming along book yourself on via the link above and post on here so we know who can make it.

Go on - you know you want to

1) Will370z and Brillomaster: BMW 328

2) Darren-b: Superdooper charged 350z

3) Philipouk: Toyota MR2

4) Ken: Passenger and spectator

Edited by Will370z
  • Like 1

I'm at Donington on the 16th so this will be a bit too close to that for me but I've just booked 11th September at Blyton, 2nd October at Cadwell and 16th November at Oulton Park, if anyone wants to join me for any of those that'd be great. I'll be in a mk1 mx5.

It should be a great day, I've had a few problems with the MR2 recently, gearbox went after I'd only had it a month, so it will be nice to use it again. Also I've not yet taken it on a proper race track so should be interesting... think I'll take it easy, at least for the first few laps.

Edited by philipouk

Never done it but I'm getting curious as I'd like to get more from her in a relatively controlled environment. I'm not mental so I wouldn't dream of pushing hard, just would like to give it a spin. As a noob is there anything massively important I need to know/have to give it a whirl?

It should be a great day, I've had a few problems with the MR2 recently, gearbox went after I'd only had it a month, so it will be nice to use it again. Also I've not yet taken it on a proper race track so should be interesting... think I'll take it easy, at least for the first few laps.

Which '2 is it? We have a Mk2 Tubby for track use which sadly is much quicker than my Z on track.

my few tips:

preparation:

You'll need a long sleeve top and trousers, and a helmet (this can be hired on the day for ~£10)

check tyre tread and pressures

Check coolant level and oil level

Check brake pads and discs for good function

Whilst on track:

be curteous to other drivers - follow overtaking rules

use mirrors, and let the faster cars past

Accept that you arent as fast as the slick shod caterham - focus on cars of a similar specification

Keep an eye on the temperature gauge - normall only do 3-4 hot laps, and then do a full cool down lap using the brakes as little as possible.

Driving:

Brake in a straight line, get all the braking done before you turn in.

Use the marker cones for turn in and clipping points

be smooth with both steering and throttle inputs.

Drive within your limits!

Other than that, it's pretty straightforward! you'll be grinning like a loon all day :D

• Like 2

The international circuit is great fun, it's a slower paced circuit but it great for learning how you car handles, it's also very heavy on the brakes, you'll all come away wanting uprated fluid and lines at least !!!

I'd have been well up for this but I'm at an airfield day on the Friday the 16th at North Weild, so my monthly car blat is taken :dry: .

If this is a regular event though, I'll keep my eyes open for the next one.

**Luuurrrvvvvvv Castle Combe, nice and fast !!!!

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Pity you guys cant make it, ah well there will be others.

Gudzy looks like you have quite a full calendar there :)

Stu - honestly its perfectly safe and a good opportunity to see what your car can do. No time like the present

• Like 1

Which '2 is it? We have a Mk2 Tubby for track use which sadly is much quicker than my Z on track.

Mine is a standard mk3. Only thing I have done is fitted some yellowstuff brake pads. It's not the quickest but handles well, I went on an airfield day at Hullavington with Will370z and Brillomaster and their 328 was really rolling through the corners (which I found particularly entertaining to watch...) but had good power on the straights. Should be an interesting day, I think now the BMW has its new suspension I will be lagging behind a little more. One thing I learned was the importance of being smooth when turning in, braking and changing gear, particularly when it's damp!

• Like 1

Pity you guys cant make it, ah well there will be others.

Gudzy looks like you have quite a full calendar there :)

Stu - honestly its perfectly safe and a good opportunity to see what your car can do. No time like the present

I've just seen where the circuit is, miles away!

Move to madrid?

Go on you know you want to have a play on track?

Oh yes, I can't deny that I want to but I have promised Mr Two Bears that I will be good for the rest of this month as I've already had my 'driving fun' for August in the form of a 4x4 day with the Evoque. Got to say I did enjoy it but it doesn't even come close to a track day which is the BEST FUN EVER (well avec clothing of course, no offence Mr Two Bears ;) )!

re the Madrid thing, Tony has been head-hunted for a job in Madrid so we are off to live there early next year. He's on 6 months garden leave at the moment so our garden is looking quite splendid .... or it would be if he actually knew which ones were weeds and which were my prize dahlias :scare: