'Too prepared' for an interview

RSP

Hi Guys,

I would have a rant but i haveactually been doing that for the last 2 hours so i thought i'd be a bit more rational.

After four interviews i got turned down for a job at the final stage for being 'too prepared'. This despite always being interviewed first and having the role changed half way through.

Does anybody know what the hell 'too prepared' means :wacko: ?

What rubbish reasons have you had for not getting a job?

Hi Guys,

I would have a rant but i haveactually been doing that for the last 2 hours so i thought i'd be a bit more rational.

After four interviews i got turned down for a job at the final stage for being 'too prepared'. This despite always being interviewed first and having the role changed half way through.

Does anybody know what the hell 'too prepared' means :wacko: ?

What rubbish reasons have you had for not getting a job?

What a crock of %$&*W.

Did the interview involve tests, specifically psychometric tests? I think that sometimes you can be over prepared for them, but I've never heard of being over prepared for anything else :scare:

What a lame reason! Did the job go internally by any chance? If that was the only reason they could give you then you probably did well and they'd already decided who they wanted before the interview!

No tests, just four interviews with Line managers (x2), HR and the Group CFO. Onwards and upwards and all that but its still disapointing when you don't get constructive crticism.

Maybe by too prepared they mean that you answered all they're questions just a little too well, maybe like you had the questions before the interview, meaning you were able to roll out text book answers making you sound a little contrived.

Or maybe they are just a shitty company that couldn't find any other reason to not employ you :thumbdown:

That is actually very helpful, thanks. I always want to take something away from these kind of circumstances. Just wish they would phrase it as such.

Too prepaired means that you answered the questions right, but failed to put your own personality into it, so you didnt show them who you were at all.

Thats my theory anyway

I have to agree with the above.. Sounds like you know your stuff, you just need to sound a little less staged.. Have a little more charisma come into it.

Having said that, it may just be that you have been unlucky and someone a little better qualified pipped you to it?

Too prepaired means that you answered the questions right, but failed to put your own personality into it, so you didnt show them who you were at all.

Thats my theory anyway

Agree, it's more important to an employer that you can demonstrate initiative and the ability to think on your feet. It's sounds like they thought you had rehearsed your answers and just repeated stuff verbatim.

You genereally don't get given a reason why you were not chosen, so this may be their idea of "constructive criticism".

Good luck with the job hunting.

'too prepared'

Means you are able to demonstrate that you can be a threat to those above, this is a known problem in a hieratical organization.

yeh ive heard of this too, sometimes the interviewer is not always a director of the company and as such sees you as a threat and could show themselves up asbig companies get people in that particular field to do the interviews.

or "too prepared" is that you can cover the job role offered very well, and from the company perspective you are a risk as you are likely to

a. get bored with it within a year or so and move on...

b. as soon as you prove you can do the job over and above expectation... that you will aspire for a promotion they cannot afford/provide.. therefore in a year or so you'll leave

leaving them with another 10k in recruitment fees to get another guy... next year or so... maybe you are a not a cost effective risk... :thumbdown:

Thats my theory anyway

+1

+1 - I've had to give feedback recently to a few saying they were 'too polished' - slick people thinking they can roll out a perfect answer, but shows a lack of initiative and personal thinking and character, which is important for the rest of the team. Practice some personal input on your answers. ;):)

I once didn't get a job as I was too ambitious!

I'd asked the question on a walk around the offices and labs about chances of promotion and the next step. The interviewer said 'my job!'

In a year I was living abroad with one of the largest worldwide oilfield sevice companies.

I took from the interview the fact I had to raise the bar and aim higher!