how to leave a contract mid way through?

ddcboyle

Hey guys, im with BT for my internet in milirary accomodation. We can only get 3mb as they havent upgraded the wires. But speed tests im getting half a mb and cant even watch a youtube video without it buffering for 3minutes.

Spoke to BT (paying 45quid a month for 3mb that is only 0.5mb, when the block wifi is 3mb and is 15quid), I complained and they said id need to pay like 180quid to leave ccontract.then they sent out a new hub box etc, but it still doesnt work.

What can I say to get out the contract? Surely they cant let me accept 0.5mb for 43quid...

Good luck is all I'll say.

Why did you not just pay £15 for the block wifi?

At the time the system always crashed for 2years, I bought bt and they fixed it a month later

Some1 at work mentioned "not fit for use" or something like that. Is there certain quotes I need to use? Instead of saying "bt sux and block wifi is cheaper"

Heh, sod's law.

I don't think you've got much cause to complain. They'll say that 0.5Mb out of a 3Mb max isn't that bad, and to be fair it's not (I used to get the same half meg from an 8Mb line, 'tis why i switched to Infinity the second it came out). It will all come down to the contract, and what it says about fair speed. What ISP and connection is the block WiFi using? Surely it's the same copper from BT, so you might just need a new master socket wiring in and a reset of the router and line, and away you go.

Are they providing the service that you are paying for?

If they are not, have they tried to rectify the problem or offered a solution?

If not then call them in a calm manner and point those things out to them and say that you would like to contact trading standards and have a chat with them.

Read the docs carefully, is it 3MB or is it "Upto 3MB"? I'd bet my house its the latter. In which case you are stuffed. Why on earth did you sign up for £45/mo for Upto 3MB though? Thats woeful. I pay £11.50/mo for Infinity via PlusNet, which is a hell of a deal, but their standard offerings arent that much. Probably about a tenna a month for Upto 3Mb.

Bt uses a hub in your room that you plug into that wall telephone line thing

Block wifi, you just open wifi and type in your password.

Im presuming they use the same system but there must be something different. My wifi is constantly diconnecting me, even on a second hub

Not much you can do really.... 0.5mb is the same as some people get in rural areas, its woeful but as said above it will be in the small print and nothing you can do I expect.... as advised speak to them in a calm manner and explain the situation, you never know you might get a good response :shrug:

You can get a whole 0.5mb?? we were living in the dark ages up here until recently BT installed fibre-optic we can now receive speeds exceeding 1mb

EDIT: and good luck getting out of your contract, it will probably require you buying your way out of it but has got to be worth a try if you have the time to try avoid paying

Edited by atkin666

I think you might have a case if the connection is constantly being dropped, you've not go much hope on purely slow speed argument. Regular drops in service is much more like BT breaking the contract for services. If you point this out and offer to settle for a reasonable amount they may go for it.

Is your line crackly at all? Doesn't matter what speed your getting it shouldnt drop out.

You could ask them for a broadband boost to see if an engineer could boost it but that may cost you. Also remember your block wifi may have 3mb but how many use it.