Car won't start after rebuild, HELP! :(

Seany boy

I suppose the reason why no. 1 cyl seems ok is that its the one you've timed the engine by, so it would have been at tdc compression and therefore when you ran the engine there would be no possibility of valve damage - unlike no.s 3 and 5 which may have suffered damage due to the sprocket being bolted back on wrongly?

Pulleys both matched exactly with timing marks / dowel pins.

Took the heads to be pressure tested and have the valves re ground and lapped. All done and back together aaaaand.....

It cranks/tries to fire but won't ? Totally lost, few people have said that because is a fresh build it will be tight and struggle to start, also that the fuel rail will be empty but I assumed after the 1st turn of the key , when it primes and pressurises it would fill it? Regardless it splutters like its going to start but just won't :(

Triple checked timing aswel and seems fine ?

So it's all back together, heads on, timed up etc.

car started and ran / idled lovely .... Then I drove it to the petrol station 1 mile away and it was Ok, kangaroo'd once it twice but pretty civilised. Driving back from the petrol station and the car was kangaroo'ing like mad. Pulled back into the garage , came up with a fault code on bank 2 Cam Sensor. Bought a new one. Replaced it, exactly the same ! Nissan advised me that my idea of bank 2 was there bank one (I say bank 2 is #2-4-6, they say bank 2 is #1-3-5?). Anyway, bought the sensor for bank 1 and still kangaroo'ing and would idle stable.

Stripped it apart and the retard who timed it after refitting the heads had got it 1 tooth out ?!?! Luckily nothing was damaged so it went back together with the correct timing aaaaand....

Cranks much smoother and more rhythmic... But lost spark AND fuel again ?!?! WTF :(

Checked every plug / earth and there fine, no fault codes so the Cam Sensor fault I was getting was down to bank 2 signal not reading what it should be in relation to the Crank and bank 1.

Took it to Nissan today, they have no idea. It's getting a ignition signal but won't try as fire, not imobiliser either. So iv left the car with them. Any advice will go a long way tho guys so feel free to jump in

I'd be very wary about leaving it with nissan - of the two dealers near me, neither of the parts depts them had even heard of a 350z!! It may as well have been ariel atom to them. Don't know where you are but there are a few places with z-expertise around - eg atkins in malton (nr york) is my closest and of course abbey down in surrey?

I assume you have a manual - there is a pretty comprehensive fault finding table in it which may help.

As another idea, have you considered checking/changing the crank sensor, as all ignition/fuelling/valve timing controls must rely on this working correctly.

Good luck

+1 On gareth29 above - Crank position sensor and 1 cam sensor do the ignition timing so could be worth checking - as well as the earth that Darren B mentioned - I was throwing a sensor fail, had fuel and spark but would not spark - Jez at horsham tracked it down to a poor earth - it was earthed just not well enough!

Good luck.

Cheers guys. I don't know any decent zed garages in the north east unfortunately so Nissan was my best bet.

Luckily my friend works there so I get a discounted hourly rate and he'll keep a eye on it. He text me this today , apologise for the bad English, copied and pasted lol

"Ecu not being earthed which is causing the ecm relay to not supply a live to coils so gonna have a look at possible ecm failure r completely bypassing it and putting an earth and ignition live after the relay but hopfully be monday latest mate"

Make sense ?

I live in the N. E. and use Vic Young in South Shields. There very helpfull. Don't use Benfieldscthough I've had nothing but trouble with them. Read your history with interest and hope u get it sorted. Would like to help but unfortunately Im not up on modern cars, to many sensors, computers and interdependent control systems. Good Luck