Headlight cleanup

frenshy

After reading a few threads about misty/cloudy headlights I decided to have a go at cleaning them up.

Spent about an hour per headlight using fine wet n dry 2000, then 1500, then 1000, then polished up with T-cut. It has made a big difference already...

http://i176.photobuc...zps267eab0a.jpg

I'm sure you were meant to write those grit grades in reverse ;)

Id hope so... lol

Its something I need to do, but I imagine me just ending up with a even worse job than before!

Ive tried using Autosol and Plast-rx or whatever the megs stuff is called but I guess its too bad. Maybe one day!

After reading a few threads about misty/cloudy headlights I decided to have a go at cleaning them up.

Spent about an hour per headlight using fine wet n dry 2000, then 1500, then 1000, then polished up with T-cut. It has made a big difference already...

sh*t yeah sorry to anyone planning to try it - its 1000 then 1500 then 2000 !! lolol

I havent used any kit just the wet n dry, the T-cut and plenty elbow grease.

Planning to machine polish next.

May give this a go in a few weeks. So is it literally start on the lowest grade, 1000, sand till evenly sanded, clean, move up a grade, clean, move up a grade, clean then polish with something like autosol or megs headlight restorer?

sh*t yeah sorry to anyone planning to try it - its 1000 then 1500 then 2000 !! lolol

I've a large roll of 12000, yes 12000, you should see the finish you can get with that as a final touch ;) Mind you 6000 and then 8000 gives really good results in a shorter time span. If anyone needs a sample of 12000 to do this then drop me a pm, first 6 only :p

May give this a go in a few weeks. So is it literally start on the lowest grade, 1000, sand till evenly sanded, clean, move up a grade, clean, move up a grade, clean then polish with something like autosol or megs headlight restorer?

Yeah thats exactly what I done - spent about 15 mins on each wet n dry then 15 mins with T-cut but lots of people saying the MAGS stuff or metal polish is better - I didnt remove the lights but I masked off around the edge of the lights - although when the masking tape got wet it was a b*tch to get off so next time I would remove headlights or use rags in the gaps around the edge instead of masking tape.

I've a large roll of 12000, yes 12000, you should see the finish you can get with that as a final touch ;) Mind you 6000 and then 8000 gives really good results in a shorter time span. If anyone needs a sample of 12000 to do this then drop me a pm, first 6 only :p

I reckon some military issue toilet roll paper is the same grade :lol: infact no, its probably 2000

• Like 1

I reckon some military issue toilet roll paper is the same grade :lol: infact no, its probably 2000

Not wrong! Being ex-military I always wondered why the stuff we had back in the 80's appeared to be waterproof :dry:

Ive just ordered the paper from eBay, easier for me! Got a pack with 400,600,800,1000,1200,1500,2000 grit paper and another that has 2500 & 3000. Also ordered some of that blue tape stuff you can use when detailing to mask the area off :)

The light in the photo does have some scratches that I can see, perhaps it needs a bit more time with the 2000 grit, or maybe some 4000. Did you keep the paper wet, or just use it dry?

12,000 grit, that's surely just like regular A4 paper! Il send you a PM! lol could probably polish the car with that!

EDIT: rob has kindly offered to send me some of that 12,000 grit paper, looks interesting.

Edited by cs2000

I did mine on the skyline with 600,1200, 2000 followed by tcut by hand which worked well then I finished it with plastx by rotary and the final bit makes the biggest difference

My cousin got a polishing/buffing kit from eBay which just goes into an electric drill so no need to buy a rotary polisher if you don't have one. Wouldn't use it for paintwork but for plastic it's great

Here's the pics from using a Meguiars restore kit. It's basically PlastX with a rotary buffer that fits into a standard drill. Also comes with some sheets of fine grit sand paper for headlights that are is worse condition, I didn't need to use these so can't comment on how good they are.

They were pretty cloudy, especially at the top:

N5SSvZz.jpg?2

RQxJr3l.jpg?2

Buffer on drill:

ELMhtEw.jpg?2

Before and after:

eFEkkdt.jpg?1

Bit difficult to see in pics.

Really pleased with the results :)

Edited by Jp606

I spoke to my local detailer who I also get on with aside from his work, and he said that he uses Peek to restore headlights... he gave me some, and it worked a treat! Think its only about £3 as well, well worth a try if anyones thinking of doing this :thumbs: