My Supra

Ian

I've looked at BGW so many times, just not taken the plunge yet

I think the car will probably end up being broken later this year TBH, Theres a few bits I want off it for my next project :ninja: & I'll get more money back

I've looked at BGW so many times, just not taken the plunge yet

I think the car will probably end up being broken later this year TBH, Theres a few bits I want off it for my next project :ninja: & I'll get more money back

Ahhh no! Well, sounds like you're like me. Don't keep any one car for too long, i used to changed every 6 months or so but now i'm an adult with a job, an income and a load of debt, i can't afford to...

How the hell does that work? What a silly idea "growing up" turned out to be :lol:

:lol:

I've had 7 cars in the last 18 months :lol:

My next one IS a long term keeper though :ninja:

That's what you said about the last 7!!!!!

Well maybe not the last 1 as you never actually took delivery :lol:

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update, not the good type though :(

With a week off work & nothing to fill my time with, It was finally time to get it dynoed & see what power its putting out. Booked it in for today at GotBoost in Bridgend. I've used his dyno quite a few times in the past & know its pretty accurate.

So, car loaded up

10463918_10152885790314746_49964544_zps978b1c9a.jpg

Only pic I took of it, after seeing the figures it was pulling I was too busy crying to take any more :(

And the dyno charts that everyone has been eagerly anticipating

10356328_10152886069754746_50374805_zps43d8f12a.jpg

10155210_10152886069684746_29292075_zpsb7d3249e.jpg

Yes, that is 319 RWHP :(

Disappointed would be a massive understatement of how I feel at the moment.

It seems that the car has a few running issues at the moment. Its not quite running on all 6 cylinders. There is a definite change in exhaust tone when the boost kicks in & there is a lot (and I mean a lot) of black smoke when boosting. It seems to be dropping a cylinder when the boost comes on. First thing I need to check is the coil packs & also the battery wiring seeing as that is in a right mess and unless i hold the cables at the right angles I cant even get the ignition on let alone start the car.

We checked for boost leaks & found none, it holds 1.3 bar until the redline & AFRs all seem pretty spot on

As it is, I'm gonna have to withdraw the for sale ad until I know what is wrong with the car & why its not performing as it should be.

nope, running fine & even today was/is running fine. I did notice the change in exhaust note last week though & thought it was a bit odd.

From listening to it you could never tell its running on 5 cylinders which is a bit baffling, it only seems to happen when it comes on boost :(

nope, running fine & even today was/is running fine. I did notice the change in exhaust note last week though & thought it was a bit odd.

From listening to it you could never tell its running on 5 cylinders which is a bit baffling, it only seems to happen when it comes on boost :(

Reckon it could be a coil? I don't know if supra's run one coil pack or those ones on each spark? Sounds on and off though so loose or a going connection? I'm not an expert as you can see lol

• 3 weeks later...

Update time :)

So the Supra has been with my friends at 360 Motorsport for a few days to find out where my missing power is.

Coils checked out OK, Plugs were black & wet. Next step was a compression test.

Cylinder 1: 155PSI

Cylinder 2: 150PSI

Cylinder 3: 160PSI

Cylinder 4: 120PSI

Cylinder 5: 150PSI

Cylinder 6: 155PSI

:(

Have been considering my options for the last few days but after spending a few hours up there yesterday discussing my options it has been decided - I'm going to rebuild the Supra.

Current Build Plan

Rebored block

Wiseco Pistons

Eagle Rods

Titan Oil Pump

ARP Bolts

ACL Bearings

OEM Water Pump

OEM Gasket kit

Headgasket ***Still to be decided****

Precision 61MM turbo

PHR single turbo manfiold

Tial wastegate

Clutch **** to be decided****

Oil cooler

Bosch fuel pumps With Swirl pot

Battery relocation

Electric fan kit

Tomei/TRD LSD ***If theres any money left in the pot****

Bigger brakes (Aslong as they will fit under the LM's)

Plus any other little bits & pieces I fancy along the way.

Target is 650-700BHP & hopefully a similar torque figure :scare:

• Like 1

Ian you have lost it in a nice way! I think the supra deserves it! I hope you keep it after the build as it's more and more difficult to see these cars that have been done right and in impeccable condition.

Oh BTW what was this mystery car you were going to chop the supra in for and be a longterm keeper😳?

Ian you have lost it in a nice way! I think the supra deserves it! I hope you keep it after the build as it's more and more difficult to see these cars that have been done right and in impeccable condition.

Oh BTW what was this mystery car you were going to chop the supra in for and be a longterm keeper😳?

I was getting another R34 GTR :)

TBH, the build is gonna take a while. I've set a deadline of March for it to be finished as I'm gonna have to do it bit by bit every month.

Update time :)

So the Supra has been with my friends at 360 Motorsport for a few days to find out where my missing power is.

Coils checked out OK, Plugs were black & wet. Next step was a compression test.

Cylinder 1: 155PSI

Cylinder 2: 150PSI

Cylinder 3: 160PSI

Cylinder 4: 120PSI

Cylinder 5: 150PSI

Cylinder 6: 155PSI

:(

Have been considering my options for the last few days but after spending a few hours up there yesterday discussing my options it has been decided - I'm going to rebuild the Supra.

Current Build Plan

Rebored block

Wiseco Pistons

Eagle Rods

Titan Oil Pump

ARP Bolts

ACL Bearings

OEM Water Pump

OEM Gasket kit

Headgasket ***Still to be decided****

Precision 61MM turbo

PHR single turbo manfiold

Tial wastegate

Clutch **** to be decided****

Oil cooler

Bosch fuel pumps With Swirl pot

Battery relocation

Electric fan kit

Tomei/TRD LSD ***If theres any money left in the pot****

Bigger brakes (Aslong as they will fit under the LM's)

Plus any other little bits & pieces I fancy along the way.

Target is 650-700BHP & hopefully a similar torque figure :scare:

Purely for the labour of love :)

I got bitten with the tuning bug and seeing this list brings back many a memory, i admire your dedication :)

Its kind of nice to have a big build going on again not had one since my Z :)

I will do it again one day but have learned many a lesson. The only way i would ever start a project again is if i had literally everything to complete it to exactly the spec i wanted first time, money no object etc

Supra ftw Ian, if you have a built sup then forget the r34 man, just enjoy the old skool power of the single sup and use it as a week end toy.

Thats the plan. I've got the 330 for the daily so the Supra will be a sunny day car :)

• Like 1