Dropping to 40 profile on standard Rays

EvansJD2112

Didn't Kyle compare the weights from 19" rota grid drifts and rays, and confirm that the rotas were only minimally heavier?

In either case, rays plus spacers (to get the wider stance) must be similar weights to those rotas and would therefore cause the same extra strain on wheel bearings.

Considering how awesome rota grid drifts look, they're definitely worth it in my opinion!

Anyway back on topic for more pictures of 40 profiles??

I recall this too but couldn't find the thread :)

The Z is getting cheaper so people are bound to start cutting corners....you can see it with the for sale ad's as well.

How is it cutting corners? Do you not understand there is more choice, less weight, better turn in due to less sidewall etc etc. I'm running Pilot super sports I don't see how that is cutting corners? What tyres do you run?

Because you are not buying the correct tyre size which was designed for the car?

So the speedometer, mileage, traction control, torque and gearing settings are all based on the distance that the tyre travels over one complete revolution. A tyre with a different outside diameter will travel a different distance over that one revolution with a different amount of torque.

For an extra £30 a corner why not put the correct size tyres on? It doesn't matter if they are bloody F1 tyres....if they are the wrong size its a waste of time....

I agree that it might not make 'that' much difference dropping the profile down by 5 but it is cutting corners ;)

What about buying wheels who pump out replicas? I personally don't have a problem with it but isn't it cutting corners? Surely you should stick to Oem wheels.

Can't say much else the posts above are spot on. It makes such little difference to alot of thr stuff but makes a big difference to weight. Pick up a wheel with 45'd compared to 40's. Heavier which is unsparing weight. Less sidewall distortion so a more positive turn in. The also look way way way better.

Now your just being silly....these 'replica' wheels are a perfect fit for the car. They match all the right tolerances/specs needed, exactly the same as OEM wheels.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for 40 to 45 profile. If the wheels had wobbly bolts then I get your point but they don't....

Just admit you cut a corner to save £120?! Go on it isn't that hard to say! I will go first if it helps....'I couldn't justify spending £2k+ on Volks so I bought Rotas instead'. :teeth:

You are pretty much arguing my point and couldnt of said it better than StevoD.

Didn't Kyle compare the weights from 19" rota grid drifts and rays, and confirm that the rotas were only minimally heavier?

In either case, rays plus spacers (to get the wider stance) must be similar weights to those rotas and would therefore cause the same extra strain on wheel bearings.

Considering how awesome rota grid drifts look, they're definitely worth it in my opinion!

I recall this too but couldn't find the thread :)

Rota fronts: 20kg

Rota rears: 21.5kg

OEM fronts:19kg

OEM rears: 20kg

Weights taken with tyres fitted. Brand new on the 19's, 4.5mm tread on the OEM's. So about 500g - 1kg heavier than OEM 18's, putting on 10mm thinner tyres all round (235/265) would probably be about the same weight.

Back on topic - I don't think it's cutting corners. If the car is lowered it looks so much better and in theory handling should be better. Speedo etc will of course be out bay. Few %, but it'll read higher than what you're actually doing, so you could think of it as a cushion before getting done for speeding :)

• Like 1

Lower profile tyres don't equal better handling. You lose weight and gain turn-in response but lose feedback, and you also end up with a harder ride that can cause the car to move around unexpectedly on poor roads. Whether those downsides are offset by being able to run better tyres (in terms of grip, feedback and cost) is up to the individual.

Lower profile tyres don't equal better handling. You lose weight and gain turn-in response but lose feedback, and you also end up with a harder ride that can cause the car to move around unexpectedly on poor roads. Whether those downsides are offset by being able to run better tyres (in terms of grip, feedback and cost) is up to the individual.

Nailed it. I wouldn't say you lose feedback personally but your car is lower but since in lowered anyways the harder ride isn't Eden noticed.