Is the Z's fuel economy really 'that' bad?

AJRFulton

I've only owned my Z for a week but I'm absolutely astonished that I'm getting 25mpg out of it!! (been driven hard)... I was expecting more like 15-18mpg. Put in to context my old Lexus is200 would only return 25mpg and the wife's 2.5 v6 touareg only gives 20mpg at best.... Needless to say I'm well happy :)

I keep records as the car is through the business. Have done for years.

I live in rural Scotland, and working in the nuclear industry, sites I work on tend to be out of the way too. I do very little city driving.

I bought the Z fully expecting to be paying a little more for fuel and what, but really the economy has surprised me. It's a stick the Z gets beaten with in the motoring press, and tbh, I don't really understand why. For what it is, basically a small GT Sports car, it really isn't that bad, and a lot better than expected.

Edited by Badgeronimous

It is really pretty good on fuel but it depends hugely on the type of driving you usually do. (Without stating the obvious) :D

Sat in city traffic and its awful. My commute is mainly quiet A roads and my zed has been arriving 27-28mpg all year which is very respectable.

Edited by S1 HNK

• 2 weeks later...

Mine normally sits around 19mpg, I rarely reset it and spend a lot of time in town. 700 mile mostly motorway round trip the other weekend: I didn't reset it on the way there and it went up to 26ish. Reset it for the return and got 33mpg. Wasn't driving to conserve fuel at any point. Well happy, in total used half a tank less that expected.

To add to this, I'm skint this month, so I've been driving not like a granny just smooth and jumpin' in the high gears quicker lol(below 3K), im on the last quarter of the tank, have been since the end of last week, will try and make it last til Monday... just to work and back each day lol. Seems to be doin ok so far ... all it takes tho is that right foot ...that little bit of howl you caught and want more... that German saloon that pestered you... :lol:

Edited by AMT

Some recent mileage calculations worked out by calculator not car computer -

Alpine Tour mileages

21.13 (Stelvio)

25.18 (Nimes)

30.63 (Evreux)

29.61 (Thurrock)

Average mileage over the 12 fillups above – 27.938m

Alpine Tour mileages

21.13 (Stelvio)

25.18 (Nimes)

30.63 (Evreux)

29.61 (Thurrock)

AM i reading this right you were getting 27 miles to a tank?

Alpine Tour mileages

21.13 (Stelvio)

25.18 (Nimes)

30.63 (Evreux)

29.61 (Thurrock)

Seems roughly right. How were u driving though? Not booting the car the whole way :p

Does the cold fresh air make better mpg and power? Or is there no difference between alps and london in a car sense?

Alpine Tour mileages

21.13 (Stelvio)

25.18 (Nimes)

30.63 (Evreux)

29.61 (Thurrock)

pg

Yeah i thought the zed engine fuel consumption would be an issue due to the bad press and was actually considering a new 3series coupe because of the comparison to fuel consumption and power... but i now average 32mpg on motorways at 70+ mph, and city rural 22mpg. Which all in all isnt too bad compared to my past cars like the Mister2 and the Soarer 2.5tt..