Tyre pressure for 18's

NaturallyBuilt

Pressure is pressure, even if the rears are wider.

Consider this, if you submerged a a 10 litre ballon and a 100 litre ballon under water although they displace different amounts of water they can both use the same amount of pressure to reach their maximum displacement.

Provided they are both at the same depth and in the same fluid

Edited by BulletMagnet
  • Like 1

Pressure is pressure, even if the rears are wider.

Consider this, if you submerged a a 10 litre ballon and a 100 litre ballon under water although they displace different amounts of water they can both use the same amount of pressure to reach their maximum displacement.

Provided they are both at the same depth and in the same fluid

So is that just for wet tyres? :teeth:

on the tyre it should say max pressure. Just make sure you dont exceed it. General rule is the lower the profile the greater the pressure should be.

NO NO NO NO NO

Do NOT go anywhere near the max tyre pressure! It will be around 55-60 psi, which if you inflate to that will leave you with a tiny grip patch with all the hazards that entails, along with wearing through the centre of the tread in no time!

Profile is not related to pressure. Sidewall flex is, as that's where you exert the loads on the tyre under cornering. Yes, lower profile tyre often have stiffer sidewalls and as such may require higher pressures, but tyre construction is far more important than profile size in determining pressure.

[

Do NOT go anywhere near the max tyre pressure! It will be around 55-60 psi, which if you inflate to that will leave you with a tiny grip patch with all the hazards that entails, along with wearing through the centre of the tread in no time!

Yeah, I checked out an old set of the dreaded NK's that I have, 81 psi max :scare: .

Pete

Sorry I think you've misunderstood me. Im not saying it needs to be max pressure just dont exceed it.

Ive alwasy been told that the wider and lower profile, the pressure should be a bit more.

Of course its dependant on the type of car and load it has.

See this chart of BMW cars which vary from 15" narrow to wide 19".

http://www.puretyre.co.uk/bmw-tyre-pressures

But if you have stock rims its best to go by the figures written in the door shut or enter your reg here

http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-pressure.asp

Edited by RT-Performance