Engine Oil Temp - Oil Coolers

Suits

So, the engine oil tends to get warm quick and stay hot in the 370Z I've noticed.

And that's just spirited road driving.

Does/has anyone fitted an oil cooler to improve the cooling or have any suggestions about this ??

I'll be tracking the car regularly you see and this is something that has caught my eye.

Similar to that to be fair, but as soon as I saw it hit or get close to 100, I backed off.

It seemed to rise quick after not much of a press on, it seems normal so I'm not concerned about the general running of the motor to be honest, but after 4 laps of Spa, I'd expect it to be a lot hotter.

Have you ever heard of oil cooling issues before ??

Is a oil cooler a waste of time ??

An oil cooler is an essential if taking off road, i saw temps of 130 at the track last summer and that was with an oil cooler !

Yeah, this is what I'm worried/concerned about.

What cooler are you running ??

Out of curiosity, what temperature do you think your oil should be? Or to rephrase it, what temperature would make you stop and cool down if you saw it?

I'd be happy running to 110c, maybe the odd burst up to 120c if the car was otherwise looked after. Dependant on oil type, of course.

I'd be happy running to 110c, maybe the odd burst up to 120c if the car was otherwise looked after. Dependant on oil type, of course.

Well this is it, I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Anything up too 110c I'd be comfortable with I suppose, but not pressing on after that.

Unless told otherwise by other's who have experience.

I've only just got the car, 5 days ago, so I'm trying to ascertain what people are running to and what is considered, normal, or safe.

Oil wise I'm currently on the OEM stuff filled by Motorline Nissan on the P3 service, which was done a week before I collected the car, so I didn't have much choice.

Curious to what others are running.

Gotcha. I'd leave the system alone for now, certainly unless you're going FI or a serious NA build the stock oil system will cope just fine, and you can spend your pennies on other bits instead. :)

• Like 1

Alright, fantastic, cheers guys.

I'll be staying NA, if I want boosted, I'll get a boosted motor.

I'm going to Spa and the Ring again in a few weeks, I'll keep my eye on the temps and see what's what, only normally do 4/5 laps at a time at Spa anyway before coming in for a rest, the Ring is the Ring.

It is essential to fit a proper engine oil cooler to the 370Z for track use.

If you require any more guidance or help on this then just drop me a PM.

Alex. :)

Alright Alex great.

Why don't you post the info here, it's better for all and the forum that way.

What oil cooler did you fit and what sort if efficiencies are you seeing ??

Out if interest also what black blood are you running for track use, as I said, I've currently got the Motorline OEM stuff in, 5-30 IIRC, could be different though.

Unfortunately I do not have the time to go open forum on stuff like this and answer all the questions that would follow.

It is common knowledge about the 370 coolers and the forum search function or Google would be your best friend, if you prefer not to PM

Alex. :)

As Alex and Kev T has said, if you are going to track a 370z you should fit an oil cooler. High oil temps are a know issue with them when pushing along.

I don't know the spec of the OEM oil in your 370, but I would suggest putting something in that is track proven and can handle higher temps. I use Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 can be found here - http://www.opieoils....engine-oil.aspx It is fine for daily use as well.

You would need a thermostatic valve to ensure your oil got up to temperature for normal use as oil thats too cool is as bad as too hot in the long run.

I have a supercharged 350z. On the road I was happy with my oil temps that were between 85C up to 115C which was fine because I'm using a good oil. On the track I saw 138C after just 3-4 laps of Snetterton 300 ! so decided a cooler was necessary.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I do not have the time to go open forum on stuff like this and answer all the questions that would follow.

Errr, ok, lol.

I'll go take a look on google, I did a search but didn't find what I was after.

:)

As Alex and Kev T has said, if you are going to track a 370z you should fit an oil cooler. High oil temps are a know issue with them when pushing along.

I don't know the spec of the OEM oil in your 370, but I would suggest putting something in that is track proven and can handle higher temps. I use Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 can be found here - http://www.opieoils....engine-oil.aspx It is fine for daily use as well.

You would need a thermostatic valve to ensure your oil got up to temperature for normal use as oil thats too cool is as bad as too hot in the long run.

I have a supercharged 350z. On the road I was happy with my oil temps that were between 85C up to 115C which was fine because I'm using a good oil. On the track I saw 138C after just 3-4 laps of Snetterton 300 ! so decided a cooler was necessary.

Good info.

I'll more than likely look at swapping out my oil to something more tolerant to higher temps and look at getting a cooler fitted.

Peace of mind and better control over what's going on is a comfort I'd like to have.

We do a good kit for the 370Z comes with a nice duct so the oil cooler fits up behind the crash bar so it doesn't stop any air flow to the radiator and AC rad.

Our kit includes and oil and filter change and uses a high flow thermostatic control oil take off plate;

drive in and drive out price is £880-00 inc vat (parts/labour)

Removing the front bumper will also require the bonnet lifter ECU to be reset as well.

Any track work will require an oil cooler on a 370Z we also say a larger sump is a good upgrade as well , the sump is then baffled for oil surge and carries another litre of oil which is also a good thing.

The stock ECU will put the car on limp home if it sees over 130 deg C oil temp and when the car is in the pits after a run it will heat soak to over 130 degree C.

Edited by Mark@Abbey m/s
  • Like 2

Mark - Many thanks.

I've been nudged in Abbey Motorsports general direction a few times, by friends and others in the industry.

I've got a few questions about my 370 that I believe you will be able to help with.

I'll make time to contact you properly and come down for a chat.

On the advice of ZMANALEX, I made sure the oil temp did not exceed 120 deg C when I gave a mine a treat on Knockhill - an average temperature day. That gave me 7/8 laps at full tilt and then a slowing down one (for oil and brakes). Needed at least 40 minutes before I could go out again.

On the road 90 deg C is common. In traffic or spirited road driving it often hits 110-115 deg C , but then my understanding is that the Mobil 1 I'm using is quite capable at those temps. But over 125/130 dec C I believe the oil could start breaking down...... Seeing it was Motorline Nissan where you got your 370, the branch in Tunbridge Wells who have looked after mine for 3 years have been using Mobil 1, but I got mine and the filter from the Zman at a better price.

As it sounds as though you have some regular tracking in mind, and noting what our cousins have found over the pond, an oil cooler (with temp valve to prevent over-cooling) would be a must for me. :)

• Like 1