More exhaust problems.....

DRP08

After problems with my Y-pipe a few months back, I found this forum the best place to come for advice. The initial problem was solved (Cobra Y-pipe from CS - should point out again that the garage commented on how impressed they were, and also great service - thatnks CS!!), but now my exhaust has started blowing again.

I'm far from being a mechanic, but looking under the car it's quite obvious that the join between the centre pipe (?) and the back box has corroded and the 2 parts are now completely separate! A mate of mine has suggested I need to replace 'everything down from the Y-pipe (again, emphasizing there's nothing wrong with the Y-pipe I previously purchased!!) - anybody have any recommendations?

Unfortunately I've just I've just committed money towards a holiday (taking the 3 of us - me, my daughter and the 350Z! - to France), so suggestions at the lower end of the price range will probably be closer to the mark....

Get the cobra from CS, or if you really are a bit stuck after paying for a holiday, get it welded up for about £40 then get the cobra when you're back and have a few quid :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thanks again for all of the responses - really appreciate it!!

Cobra definitely looks like the longer-term way forward. How noticable is the difference between the resonated and non-resonated?

Also, I had been wondering if welding was an option - it seems a lot to replace for what is essentially a split (albeit a big one!!). Would welding be a stop-gap to keep me going for a few weeks, or would it likely to last for a bit longer than that?

Welding is going to last for ages, if done properly. One of my flexis on the y-pipe was replaced with a welded-in pipe and it lasted for at least 11k miles so far (it was already there when I bought the car, but I only found out about it when I had to weld the back bit).

I had this problem and Abbey cut out the bad bits and welded in a tube over both bits to joint them together. It looked like it would last for ages. As it happens I subsequently bought a Milltek system but I think welding is a good solution for someone on a very tight budget.

I'm still deciding what to go for as well...resonated or none resonated...currently got K1 with y pipe and de-cats...love that sound but need something not as loud :D I guess none resonated with decats and y pipe still will be quieter than same setup but with K1?

Edited by Vlad

I'm still deciding what to go for as well...resonated or none resonated...currently got K1 with y pipe and de-cats...love that sound but need something not as loud :D I guess none resonated with decats and y pipe still will be quieter than same setup but with K1?

Vlad, as you're used to the noise, I would suggest the non resonated, as you may find the resonated too quiet... :) Ed has bought the non resonated from us as he had a K1 noise exhaust, and the resonated would have been too quiet... :)