How to - Wiper Removal / Delete

Mack

This is my first guide. If I have missed something or you know a better way please post and I will update the guide.

As always do this at your own risk, this guide shows what I have done and theres no guarantee I'm correct.

Whats the benefit?

mack wiper del 1.jpg

1) It makes the rear end look very sleek.

2) Small weight reduction which has helped my "double tap boot" problem. (While your at it you can also remove the boot weight)

3) Can be just as easily reversed.

Whats the downside?

1) You loose use of the rear wiper and if you wish, the spray nozzle. Personally I haven't missed it. The rear window can also be treated with Rainex to repel water.

2) If your car is not black you will end up with a small black spot on the boot lid from the grommet. Because the grommet is rubber I don't think it can be sprayed. If you must have the same colour you will need to find an alternative.

What parts do it need? Whats the cost?

This mod is about as cheap as it gets. You will need a 25mm grommet and if you wish to also remove the spray nozzle a a 22mm grommet.

Halfords Blanking Grommet 25mm (Code HFX321) £1.79

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_255229

Halfords Aerial Grommets 19, 22 and 24mm (Code HFX215) £1.79

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_255229

I haven't been able to find the 22mm seperately.

Total Cost: £3.58

Optional:

If the wiper grommet leaks it will leak into the boot, it seams water tight on its own but just to be sure I put some black silicone sealant on it.

Granville Black Silicone Sealant 40g £4.99

http://www.halfords....catalogId=10151

The spray nozzle is not a problem if it leaks, it is on the wet side of the boot seal where rain water drains away. It is also set into the glass so its not going to rust.

What tools do I need?

1) Spanners to remove the wiper and motor.

2) Possibly a flat bladed screw driver and old bit of shammy to get the trim off.

3) Some gaffer tape to secure the resulting loose plug and stop it rattling.

3) If removing the spray nozzle a pair of self grip pliers (mole grips) and an old piece of shammy.

What do i do?

1) Pop open the cap covering the nut on the rear wiper and undo the nut.

2) Remove the wiper.

I found trying to pull the wiper straight off didn't work. Instead I rotated the wiper with the threads all the way round and kind of unscrewed it.

3) Open the boot

4) Remove the plastic boot trim.

Its held on my plastic poppers so it just needs to be pulled off. Start here:

mack wiper del 2.png

Get your fingers under the plastic and give it a pull. Once you have unpopped the first popper move down and unpop the next. If you can't get enough leverage use you screw driver with the shammy to protect you paint work and lever it off.

WARNING: Keep moving your hands close to the next popper otherwise you risk damaging the boot trim.

Remove the boot trim and put it somewhere safe. Some of the poppers may break like this:

mack wiper del 3.jpg

Using the screw driver and shammy gently leaver them out being careful not to damage them further. On refitting they can be rotated slight so the undamaged part holds fine. If you badly break them probably PM ZMANALEX for replacements.

If you are removing the spray nozzle use the same method for the upper trim.

5) Unplug the wiper cable

mack wiper del 4.jpg

You may need to gently snip the cable tie holding on the wiper wire.

6) Undo the bolts holding on the wiper motor and remove from the car. At this stage you may also want to remove the boot weight.

7) Fit the 25mm Grommit into the hole.

Just push it on from the outside with some sealant if desired. Make sure its fitting snugly. Should look like this:

mack wiper del 5.jpg

8) Remove the spray nozzle if desired.

mack wiper del 6.jpg

Pull the sprayer flexible pipe off. It just pops off. The white section is a one way valve. You can refit it the other way around to stop screen wash leaving the car. I haven't personally tried it but in theory it should work. If you accidentally spray anyway it won't get into the car. I then taped the loose end to the boot to stop it rattling.

Use the grips with the shammy to protect the sprayer grip if from the outside. You want just enough force to hold it firmly. Give it a pull and wiggle and it will pop out.

9) Fit the 19mm Grommit to the hold in the same way as the 25mm one.

Should look like this:

mack wiper del 7.jpg

10) Refit the boot trims:

Remove any of the poppers stuck in the tailgate metal and fit them into the boot trim. Then just line them up and push them back on. Once I had a few of them on I just used the bottom of my fist to bang them in.

Job done, Like the new look?

Changes:

Updated with correct grommet size for spray nozzle hole

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! Done mine last year-looks much better! Got normal grommet from Halfords, sprayed it to match paint work! Not perfect match, but looks ok :) done that on my silver celica and there is a bloke who makes plastic, flat, grommets to fit exactly and you give him paint code and he sprays them exact color... When I had it on my celica it was hardly noticeable! Will email him him, to see if he can do same for 350s. What's the actual hole size? (By the way, that's hole from wiper delete I'm asking about...I know we have some dirty minds on here :lol:) is it 25mm?

Yea I seen that...just been wondering if that's a hole size or grommet size? As they are rubber so 1mm difference wouldn't matter, but with plastic grommet it will matter as you can't stretch/bend it :) hope that makes sense lol

Edited by Vlad

Looks great! Done mine last year-looks much better! Got normal grommet from Halfords, sprayed it to match paint work! Not perfect match, but looks ok :) done that on my silver celica and there is a bloke who makes plastic, flat, grommets to fit exactly and you give him paint code and he sprays them exact color... When I had it on my celica it was hardly noticeable! Will email him him, to see if he can do same for 350s. What's the actual hole size? (By the way, that's hole from wiper delete I'm asking about...I know we have some dirty minds on here :lol:) is it 25mm?

Ive just ordered a nice billet item to delete mine with, will spray it silver to match the car ;)

Let us know how you get on with the plugs. If it works out ill update the guide. I'm not 100% sure of the hole size but the 19mm grommit fits well.

Who runs the Flat Roofing Company?

No idea, just happened to be parked beside my car

Edited by Mack

• 1 month later...

This looks really good, the only problem I foresee is if you have a car of a colour that you couldn't grt a match for the bung and the boot would need respraying, although I just read Macks entry and hope that the bloke comes through for him. Great job though.

Done this yesterday, great guide cheers! had a bit of trouble pulling out the nozzle, just found that if you keep it the same way its pointing and not twist it, you'll be ok as the hole is shaped so it needs to be lined up if that makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reviving this thread but what happened in the end with the supplier as looking at doing this

Is that in regards of what I posted? If so...supplier flapped it lol I found some plastic clips/grommets on eBay which fit perfectly and sit pretty flush...just need painting! Will try to find a link later

First of all thanks for this guide Mack!

Took about 30 minutes in total, however I used one of these to blank. A bit over priced (in my opinion) and took me lots of trial and error with the paint but got there in the end! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-350Z-rear-wiper-delete-plug-/321160864442?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac6ade2ba

Second of all (as above) I found that the 22mm grommet was better for the washer jet.

I turned the one way valve around but would like to disconnect the washer motor. Does anyone know what washer bottle this is on before I start taking the front of the car apart?