My knob rattles...why?

Dicky

Fitted a new gear knob a while ago but got tired of it and refitted the original. BUT it now seems to rattle when accelerating in 3rd and 5th ?

I've ran with the knob off just using the gear shaft and no rattle so its got to be the knob itself. Ive had it off and back on several times and nothing I do seems to make it better.

I've tightened it down as far as I dare but no Joy. Anyone experienced this one before???

There should be a round washer or collet that goes on the lever before the knob screws on, this is what is probably rattling. Take the knob off and wrap a bit of insulation tape round it. hopefully that should stop it.

• Like 1

Its a sleeve that goes over the thread and sits on the ridge where the thread ends. This is to stop you winding the gear knob down to far.

However if your putting an aftermarket one on you take the sleeve off. As these knobs have there own stop. I suggest its this that is rattling around inside your new one.

:)

Edited by 4RE Leather

Thanks for your input. The "collet" ring was in place and there's a rubber grommet that sits inside the knob right at the top that gets squashed onto the collet as the knob is screwed down. You can see by the impression on the rubber which gets pressed against the collet so should stop it from rattling. I've also check the thread on the gear nob shaft following figment of the new knob and its perfectly ok. Sounds to me as if the rattle is inside the knob itself?

I had hoped someone might have had the same problem and discovered the cause.

Just try taking the knob off and wrap some insulation tape round the collet taping it to the shaft and then put the knob back on. The only reason I say this is mine did exactly what you are describing . Worth ruling out?

Just try taking the knob off and wrap some insulation tape round the collet taping it to the shaft and then put the knob back on. The only reason I say this is mine did exactly what you are describing . Worth ruling out?

I'll certainly give it a go. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help :)

• 1 year later...

Old thread I know but I just swapped my gearknob out for a new OEM one and I spent hours trying to find what was rattling. I was certain that it was one of the dash dials.

This morning I realised it was coming from the gear knob grrrrr

Will try some tape over the collet ring.

Old thread I know but I just swapped my gearknob out for a new OEM one and I spent hours trying to find what was rattling. I was certain that it was one of the dash dials.

I read somewhere that the gear lever is prone to rattle under acceleration but I can't remember hearing it prior to fitting a new knob. I've since fitted a cheap eBay jobby (the plain round alluminium ones) and love it. It's better but s

till get a bit of rattle but can live with it.

I read somewhere that the gear lever is prone to rattle under acceleration but I can't remember hearing it prior to fitting a new knob. I've since fitted a cheap eBay jobby (the plain round alluminium ones) and love it. It's better but s

till get a bit of rattle but can live with it.

Did you try the tape around the collet ring?

My old knob didnt rattle. The new one is an OEM one which I prefer so I need to make it quiet!