Wasso

My story with RT Performance

157 posts in this topic

Wasso    2,218

This post is to make other members aware of the issues I’ve encountered during my travels with RT Performance. There have been communications over the last 5 weeks in order to try and resolve the paint issues inherited by RT Performance, but to no avail. This post will of course come to a surprise for some, but known by a majority of the heartache I’ve endured since originally visiting RT Performance back in 2011.

Some may say why I should be airing my laundry of a trader on the forum, because we are all too keen to provide positive commentary. Some of us have endured bad or very poor service, but everybody keeps hush about it. For the record I’ve made every attempt to cooperate with RT Performance, but it seems their perspective on this matter does not meet my requirements as a happy customer.

I shall begin.

Here is my car prior to any work undertaken by RT Performance

01_zpsf3d0b121.jpg

The agreement made by myself and RT Performance was in exchange of copying my bodykit the following:

Paint and Fit the body kit to my car. (Front and Rear Bumper, Skirts)

Repair the resin crack within the Carbon Diffuser

Fit Eibach Lowering Springs

In May 2011 I went to RT Performance for the parts to be fitted, only to find the paint match was horrendously out of touch with OEM. At the time I knew nothing about paint and asked if it would tone better with age. Well, there was no chance of that.

(Note the front bumper mouth is black)

02_zpsec59cd13.jpg

03_zpse999afc1.jpg

04_zps55b2d862.jpg

05_zps4b92fdfc.jpg

06_zps56833482.jpg

07_zps0ac4fd96.jpg

08_zps1d631c4f.jpg

So via contact during 2011 Taras agreed to fix the car, and suggested blending the paint. So in November 2011 the car was left for a number of weeks. Delays ensued leaving me without a car and footing the cost with car hire. During this event I’d paid out the travel costs in fuel and train tickets. I received a call from Taras to say the car would be ready, so I booked my train ticket with excitement. The next morning an hour before I was setting out I received a call from Taras to say my car was not ready. So the train ticket cost of £50 was lost. Over a week later and the car is now ready, so another train ticket booked.

I arrived to find my car being cleaned with a chamois leather, which I pointed out to Taras wasn’t a good idea. So I left RT Performance to travel home. Whilst picking up some fuel I noticed some swirl marks on the roof of my car (a panel that hadn’t been painted). Now, just prior to sending my car to RT, I had previously polished the car ensuring there were no marks. In the evening whilst filling with fuel I looked round the car, still with petrol hose hanging out the back of my car. I was distraught to see the ENTIRE car was covered in swirl marks, it had just been painted, so why were there swirl marks across the entire body car? On returning to Birmingham I discussed via PM the issues I am now facing after my 2nd visit to RT.

Swirl Marks

Paint dust plastered throughout the interior of my car

Window rubber seal not replace properly

Drivers door switchgear not put back correctly stopping me from using it

The mouth of the front bumper isn’t black, it’s now blue.

Lacquer inconsistencies across the front bumper

Lacquer and tape marks across door and boot shuts

Paint drips

And guess what, we now have miss matched paint, which wasn’t blended, but only applied to the top of the wings. I now have a bonnet, A-pillars and roof not matching the new colour. Subsequently around 3 weeks after the 2nd visit the front lip starts flaking??

Here’s the result of visit two, starting with swirl marks, across painted and un-painted surfaces.

Bonnet

Bonnet5_zps18252bae.jpg

Bonnet4_zps76375fe9.jpg

Bonnet3_zps8c7f5d39.jpg

Bonnet2_zpsf7fe79f8.jpg

Bumper

Bumper5_zps004c251c.jpg

Door

Door1_zps394ba9ed.jpg

Roof

SwirlMarks_zps1dbf9b1e.jpg

A-Pillar

APillar_zpsa513d8da.jpg

Paint (Bonnet shut to wing – camera doesn’t pick this up very well)

IMG_9091_zpsda64d799.jpg

Bumper against bonnet

09_zps86ccd833.jpg

Peeling Lacquer

IMG_9063_zps95679a2f.jpg

IMG_9061_zpsf75df7ea.jpg

IMG_9060_zpscde9aaf8.jpg

IMG_9062_zps11bfebab.jpg

I discuss the issues in length with Taras but without any offer to correct the issues. I discussed the fact I have made great outlay at the cost of their poor workmanship, but in reply from Taras “I have costs too you knowâ€.

From this I was rather put back, feeling angry and devastated about how my car has ended up. With Christmas looming I had to put this to the back of my mind. I would re-visit these issues and potentially fire up a legal battle. I weighed up the pro’s and cons’ do I go back, is this going to get worse, at further expense to myself?

Time passed and many people at meets or shows would discuss the issues I faced and to confront RT once more. I was also approached by another member on the forum to see if something could be worked out. I received a message from Taras, and he said “Send me your bumper and I’ll fix itâ€. From visit number 1, there’s no way I’m just going to send my bumper in the post, drive around without a bumper!! Visit 2, will my bumper come back the right colour, or even damaged? This I wouldn’t see fit as a suitable solution from any paint shop, no matter how large or small.

Further time passed and the same member would keep saying to me Taras has a new place, things are better, he now has an oven! So I plucked up the courage to contact Taras despite my seriously bitter feelings towards this whole saga. So during the last 5 weeks we have passed emails trying to get something arranged. If I include those to this content, you’ll be reading a novel.

To cut a very long story short, Taras had agreed to paint my car and fix the issues identified and paint the oem panels which have never been painted but do not match the replacement paint tone. Agreed to paint a spoiler, some eyelids and correcting a small rust spot on the roof of the car.

Because of the previous costs incurred as a result of poor supply I was not prepared to foot the next lot of travel costs. Secondly I’d warrant a hire vehicle during the time in which it was with RT Performance. This vehicle would be budget spec so not to take the p*ss. I felt this was fair considering I’m revisiting a problem created by RT and should take ownership and responsibility.

I had previously specified over 5 weeks ago that I wanted the car ready for Wales. In order to get the vehicle to RT, I was asked to take the car down during the week, as a result I would lose £XXX in salary, which I’m prepared to swallow as my loss.

So to conclude…

The final message received from Taras was “I’m not paying for your expenses Ianâ€. I shall also quote “It is your belief RT underperformed on your car two years ago, my belief is different. I’m offering you to do work on your car free of charge, which is a rarity as is. I cannot pay for anything else but labour and materials costs and this will be pushing £1k borders. I’m sorry this is not up to your expectations but this is my final offerâ€.

This is not taking ownership of poor workmanship!

Here comes the backlash….

Everyone has and is entitled to an opinion, whether people wish to judge me or RT, so be it. I’ve had to endure this whole process and try and make the ‘right’ decisions. I have felt sorely let down by a company that has failed on two occasions and was unwilling to accommodate an unsatisfied customer. I personally feel this is closure by posting here, and to let others know of the issues I have faced as a customer of RT Performance.

Since my mail to Taras explaining that I will no longer require any further work from him, I’ve visited two bodyshops, to my amazement they have both said how shocking the paint finish is, even before looking at the flaking lacquer. It’s a shame RT couldn’t step up to the mark and take ownership of their problem and now further cost to myself to correct this mess. Anyone who wishes to see exactly the issues can see my car at the impending Wales event.

• Like 12

helimeddaz    16

I obviously don't know all the in's and out', but wait to hear the reply you get.

The thing is Mate, a blind man could see how bad that match is. If you put a paint scanner on it, it'd have a heart track.

I hope you get some resolution and feel happy about your car again soon.

raduv66    35

That must of been a hard decision to make bringing it to an open forum mate but was the right one. Hope you get it all sorted soon .

Edited by raduv66

BulletMagnet    1,561

I know of other people from this and other clubs that share your view Ian after having their cars worked on by RT Performance.

Good for you for speaking out :thumbs:

• Like 1

Pete87    113

It's such a shame apart from the off matched paint and peeling lacquer she is a lovely car, hope you get it sorted bud :)

Will370z    1,706

I hope you get this sorted in the end Wasso as i know how much hassle you have had with the mismatch colour and poor quality. Not good enough, really isnt.

Hope that paintshop in Hereford can help you out.

Personally i'd like to say well done for passing your experience on, difficult thing to do but the right decision for the sake of others.

Edited by Will370z
  • Like 2

Sarnie    326

I remember seeing your 'new car pics' ages ago and posting, probably insensitvely but honestly, that the paint match was a joke.

Saying that, I own a few businesses myself, a couple based on eBay. Sometimes people aren't happy with the item so I allow them to return the item for a full refund. But I'd never pay them for the cost of their 'lost' time to return the item back to me and nor would I be legally obliged to. I'm not sure why you have bitten your nose off to spite your face? Rather than lose a days pay you'd rather start from scratch with someone else, and I assume, in the process pay them to repaint your car? Why not take the car to Taras and take advantage of what he was offering for free? It's not like your car could end up much worse.......

Edited by Sarnie

Will370z    1,706

I remember seeing your 'new car pics' ages ago and posting, probably insensitvely but honestly, that the paint match was a joke.

Saying that, I own a few businesses myself, a couple based on eBay. Sometimes people aren't happy with the item so I allow them to return the item for a full refund. But I'd never pay them for the cost of their 'lost' time to return the item back to me and nor would I be legally obliged to. I'm not sure why you have bitten your nose off to spite your face? Rather than lose a days pay you'd rather start from scratch with someone else, and I assume, in the process pay them to repaint your car? Why not take the car to Taras and take advantage of what he was offering for free? It's not like your car could end up much worse.......

Given the past attempts i wouldn't be taking my car back there if i was him

veilside z    981

oh dear this is bad... how can you turn, a black grill opening, that previously matched a black lower lip..... blue, and to think this, would be acceptable the customer.. thats why, he wanted it black to start with. the various laquer peel especially the lip, is unacceptable. im glad you brought this to peoples attention, as I was due a visit in the forthcoming future. im sure a lot of people have been happy but clearly, this occasion has been unsuccessful. the best of luck in getting this rectified to a standard you can again be happy with.

smudgedon    164

Not the 1st instance I've heard of poor workmanship from these guys I'm afraid

Hope you manage to get something sorted Ian :thumbs:

Wasso    2,218

Thanks all for the comments. It's not been easy in any respect.

Liam, I respect what you're saying but I've already outplayed in excess of £500 for travel, fuel, train tickets and my time. A 3rd visit would cost me near on £800 for loss of earnings 2 day, fuel, and car hire for 1 week. This would take my total cost over £1,300.

Please refer to the agreement, copy my bodykit in return for a painted (in the same colour) car. This hasn't happened and further to this as quoted "I will not be offering a warranty on the paint".

I have decided through poor service and lack of ownership by RT not to pursue this headache and to write of previous and impending costs in order to fix the screw up.

The lack of professionalism has left me not trusting their business, and would much prefer seeking alternative routes to get the car how it should have looked 2 years ago. I was very much prepared to let bitterness go beneath the bridge, but why should I pay for corrective work generated by a company in the first place.

As noted above a large number of people have seen my car and the poor quality. For a company to say its my belief that RT did not perform outrages me. I should not be paying for corrective work, which includes subsequent costs subjected to me.

Sarnie    326

As a paying customer nor would I. But if Taras was offering to redo it for free then whats the harm?

How much does a respray cost? £2k?

What not let Taras try and rectify for free?

If he ****ed it up then, nothing lost apart from a days pay, a few hundred quid may be. If you gets it right the £2k saved....

Don't get me wrong, Taras has done a shitty job, twice! But, in my opinion, to reject his offer to rectify the situation because he won't pay Ian's wages for the day isn't the right thing to do either....

Adrian@TORQEN    3,309

I tried... really hard.... to mediate the conflict and get the car sorted, but somewhere in the middle you stopped chasing the burgers and bus fares while the car is being done, Wasso... Fighting the wrong war, wasting energy, time and money as I said in our chats.

Sarnie, don't read this!

Wasso, Sarnie is damn right!

P.S.

I'll make more comments after Wales, don't want to ruin the friendly atmosphere :lol:

Edited by octet

Sarnie    326

Thanks all for the comments. It's not been easy in any respect.

Liam, I respect what you're saying but I've already outplayed in excess of £500 for travel, fuel, train tickets and my time. A 3rd visit would cost me near on £800 for loss of earnings 2 day, fuel, and car hire for 1 week. This would take my total cost over £1,300.

Please refer to the agreement, copy my bodykit in return for a painted (in the same colour) car. This hasn't happened and further to this as quoted "I will not be offering a warranty on the paint".

I have decided through poor service and lack of ownership by RT not to pursue this headache and to write of previous and impending costs in order to fix the screw up.

The lack of professionalism has left me not trusting their business, and would much prefer seeking alternative routes to get the car how it should have looked 2 years ago. I was very much prepared to let bitterness go beneath the bridge, but why should I pay for corrective work generated by a company in the first place.

As noted above a large number of people have seen my car and the poor quality. For a company to say its my belief that RT did not perform outrages me. I should not be paying for corrective work, which includes subsequent costs subjected to me.

I agree with you that you have been wronged. I don't even need to see your car to know that it didn't look right.

I just feel that you are letting emotion override your senses. Maybe my thinking is different, but I would NEVER weigh out for a second company to respray the car when the original company was offering to do it (even for a third time) for free, even if it cost a few hundred quid in costs to do so.

After all your extensive dialogue, and at the third attempt for free, if it was still awful then both parties have done all they can.

Edited by Sarnie

downhuman    79

My day job is being responsible for the customer journey, nationally, for a large insurance company and since starting it I can't walk past bad service.

Just because the English traditionally keep schtum, I can assure you our US cousins or European neighbours don't and vote with their wallets.

I will never give a company my business if their service is poor, nor will I shy away from talking about it - this is a free country and we're all customers.

So well done Wasso ...

I'm positive loads of good feedback exists for RT too, but any company with confidence in their work would welcome feedback from a paying customer and strive to sort it out

From that perspective, Taras appears to be attempting to resolve something.

I'm sure Taras will be along soon to provide some kind of solution :) which is more agreeable

Edited by downhuman

Wasso    2,218

As a paying customer nor would I. But if Taras was offering to redo it for free then whats the harm?

If he ****ed it up then, nothing lost apart from a days pay, a few hundred quid may be. If you gets it right the £2k saved....

Don't get me wrong, Taras has done a shitty job, twice! But, in my opinion, to reject his offer to rectify the situation because he won't pay Ian's wages for the day isn't the right thing to do either....

You've not read my thread correctly have you. A few hundred quid to you may seem ok. To me its a different story.

I already stated I'll take the hit on my salary, but to the fact of already forking out £500 plus another £400 for travel and vehicle hire we're already at £900. I was prepared to take the hit with my salary of two days. So the phrase 3rd time lucky may apply.

There's no warranty with the work, and from what I've seen of my own car and 4 others the odds are stacked against them. I shouldn't have to pay, principle.

To conclude, I was quoted £4,000 today for it to be fixed. The car will require a full respray.

Would you keep going back to a crappy women..... Nah I doubt it. This was my final attempt for them to rectify and as mentioned previously they are in denial of the issues, as well as tough @*!# Ian you can pay the costs for us to fix or feck it up even more.

Like I also said, the two paintshops I've visited today have both said the paint finish is crap, where its not been flat polished correctly. So can I see any developments to crap work, probably not. If my costs were paid I'd probably give them a chance. But I'm not paying to see idiots.

Edited by Wasso

4RE Leather    319

Thomas the sprayer who works there at the moment is excellent. If you were offered the chance to have it put right then why didn't you?

Wasso    2,218

Thomas the sprayer who works there at the moment is excellent. If you were offered the chance to have it put right then why didn't you?

:doh: read above Peter, principle and cost, trust, and no warranty. There are cars finished even with the new painter posted on the forum with miss-matched paint. I'd say the problem is still going on.

Either way, I've said my piece, make of it what you will. But remember do you go back to somewhere for good service or poor. At not cost to me I'll take that gamble. If it costs me, I'd rather put my cash towards a respected well established bodyshop. As such I'm booked in for minor corrective work next week, with a view to rectify the damage.

ioneabee    2,524

you are still within your rights to get it fixed and send them the bill - obviously it would end up in court, but...............you gave them opportunities to put it right, they failed - yes they've offered again, but even a court would decide (probably) that enough is enough

OsakaBen    52

really sorry to hear this mate

hope you get it sorted

with a bad bodyshop experience myself, i understand how annoying it is,

Sarnie    326

You've not read my thread correctly have you. A few hundred quid to you may seem ok. To me its a different story.

I already stated I'll take the hit on my salary, but to the fact of already forking out £500 plus another £400 for travel and vehicle hire we're already at £900. I was prepared to take the hit with my salary of two days. So the phrase 3rd time lucky may apply.

There's no warranty with the work, and from what I've seen of my own car and 4 others the odds are stacked against them. I shouldn't have to pay, principle.

To conclude, I was quoted £4,000 today for it to be fixed. The car will require a full respray.

Would you keep going back to a crappy women..... Nah I doubt it. This was my final attempt for them to rectify and as mentioned previously they are in denial of the issues, as well as tough @*!# Ian you can pay the costs for us to fix or feck it up even more.

Like I also said, the two paintshops I've visited today have both said the paint finish is crap, where its not been flat polished correctly. So can I see any developments to crap work, probably not. If my costs were paid I'd probably give them a chance. But I'm not paying to see idiots.

I've read your posts entirely correctly thanks. I never said a few hundred was OK to me did I? I said that

Based on your new quotes of £4k to respray your car, surely that just reinforces the view that giving Tara's a chance to redo it for free is worth the shot???

You really are biting your nose off to spite your face.

Your response is entirely emotion based, which I entirely understand. If someone ****ed my car up I'd be pi**ed too! But this is also clouding your judgement.

Couple of hundred quid Vs £4,000??? I know which I'd try first.

• Like 1

4RE Leather    319

Ian I read everthing you said but I know a lot more. However thats none of my buisness.

Can you show me a thread were there has been a paint miss match since December when I believe Thomas started?

Or am i blind!

Sarnie    326

:doh: read above Peter, principle and cost, trust, and no warranty. There are cars finished even with the new painter posted on the forum with miss-matched paint. I'd say the problem is still going on.

Either way, I've said my piece, make of it what you will. But remember do you go back to somewhere for good service or poor. At not cost to me I'll take that gamble. If it costs me, I'd rather put my cash towards a respected well established bodyshop. As such I'm booked in for minor corrective work next week, with a view to rectify the damage.

I assume you travelled to Tara's all the way from brum because he was "respected well established" so what if your new bodyshop screw your car up??