Radiator fans not working properly/overheating

julieh

Hi. Thanks for you help.

I thought Mishimoto had sorted this wiring out since the posts you mention.

After all, they advertise "Direct plug-n-play for 2003-2006 Nissan 350Z" and "Includes factory plugs for easy installation" which is a bit rich if they are only single speed and you have to cut, splice and solder the loom to make them work!

Also, their plugs have all 4 pins connected (two blue and two black, though they are spliced into two to go into the motors) which I thought indicated 2 speed.... otherwise they might as well have just connected pins one and three to get the same effect....

And finally, surely they would have mentioned this somewhere in their fitting instructions!! :rant:

Another also, I thought that the fact that when I turn the AC on, BOTH fans come on, when they are plugged separately into the main 350z loom (and not connected to each other at all) would mean that the controller must be (wrongly) telling them both to come on?

It is a bit suspicious that the controller failed just at the moment I changed the fans, but....

If so, where IS the "controller"? Is it the IPDM behind the battery? Can i fix it? Do I need to get one from Nissan (£££!!) or a scrapyard / ebay?

Cheers

Edited by johnnyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your post.

I apologize if anyone is having issues with their fans. Please contact us directly with any questions, comments, or concerns at Support@Mishimoto.com and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,

Jarret

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your post.

I apologize if anyone is having issues with their fans. Please contact us directly with any questions, comments, or concerns at Support@Mishimoto.com and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,

Jarret

Thanks for you reply. I have emailed them today.

Cheers

John

Edited by johnnyboy

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your post.

Best Regards,

Jarret

Thanks for you reply. I have emailed them today.

Cheers

John

They got back to me to say the fans are single speed (not two speed as Stock)..

They explain that the "Direct plug-n-play for 2003-2006 Nissan 350Z Includes factory plugs for easy installation" refers to the shroud using the same mountings as stock and the fact that the plugs fit.

The fact that they operate differently (and cross connect the 4 pins in the plug to "correct" the wiring) notwithstanding.

No comment made on my "both fans or none" issue (though unless they have caused a relay to play up I can't see that this is their fault)

Not happy.

Edited by johnnyboy

Hi johnnyboy,

I have a spare IPDM and a few other bits from the electrical system if you need some replacement parts (cheap) I also have one of the wiring guides up and have done the mod on a couple of cars so if I can help just let me know.

Keyser

Keyser, is the best result we can achieve with Mishimoto that the fans can work independently (either one on or both on) but when on they are on they are always at full power?

Thats what I had mate, 1 or both but if on always full on - never had an issue with it though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your post.

Best Regards,

Jarret

Response from Mishimoto support:

On 8 August 2016 at 17:44, Mishimoto Customer Service <support@mishimoto.com> wrote:

Hey John,

Thank you for illustrating your concerns; it is appreciated!

Mishimoto's fans at the current time are universal parts that have a single speed function to them. In order to make them work in a "plug and play" setup such as the direct fitting fan shroud, our single speed fans need to be have a connector adapted to allow for the fans to plug into the factory harness. We do this by essentially grouping all of the "signal" wires into the power side of the fan, and then matching up the ground side. The Engine's fan controller system is designed to only run the fans when necessary, and while working in conjunction with the thermostat within the vehicle to prevent the vehicle from dropping to an unsafe temperature for operation. What is the difference in temperatures that you're seeing from your OE setup and the Mishimoto setup? Please keep in mind that the Mishimoto kit is a performance cooling option meant to help lower operating temperatures.

As for the noise, we are sorry to hear about this. This could be in part due to the type of blade used on the fan. Your fan shroud kit features a fan setup with straight blades. In our testing of the universal fans, we have found the straight blades used to be an optimal blend of cooling while maintaining as slim of a profile as possible. unfortunately, this may cause a little more noise than stock, but it is a proven, efficient design. It sounds as if the fan and shroud kit is functioning as it should be.

We completely understand if this is not ideal, and would be happy to work with you. If you are willing to keep the fan shroud setup that you currently have, we would be happy to send out a Mishimoto Care Package for your troubles. However, if the product displeases you to the point of not wanting to run it, I would have to recommend returning it to your original point of purchase.

Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with.

Thanks,

Nick Weiss

Mishimoto Automotive

Please contact us at support@mishimoto.com!

Ticket Details

Ticket ID: MRD-684-14044

Department: Customer Service

Type: Issue

Support Center: http://mishihd.com/index.php?

Late arrival to this thread. My car boiled up on Sunday crawling into the Helmingham Hall classic car show. Check at home and fans not working. Direct feed to fan motors and drivers side worked on both terminals but passenger side on only one of terminals worked.. Luckily sourced second hand fan locally put back together and passenger side fan works correctly, starts slow speed then up to full speed but drivers side does nothing. As a mentioned in Julie's earlier post what stops fan working if it works when connected to battery? Could it be the relay ?