A rubbish few days

CaptainSensible

Just having a bit of a whinge really to make myself feel better, as I've had two car related nightmares in less than a week.

Firstly, last Friday my g/f wrote off our Focus while we were in it. It was just a lapse of concentration on her part but it was a pretty nasty crash. Luckily no one was hurt but both our car, and the car she hit, were written off.

Then, this morning, the Zed wouldn't start. It had all the symptoms of a flat battery, so I called the AA. Even with a power pack it wouldn't start (crank was turning fine, but it just wouldn't fire). Initially we suppsed the engine was flooded but he looked at the spark plugs and there was very little fuel on them. So I'm guesing that something to do with the immobiliser has triggered which is stopping it from firing.

It's now at my local Nissan garage, but they can't look at it until next Wednesday, so we're now carless until either the 350Z is fixed or we can buy another car.

As you can tell, I'm really not having a good week! I'm really hoping my car-related luck starts to improve soon!

What kind of issue, do you have a link? My clutch is on its way out... probably... (43k / 6.5 years) and these are the usual replacement.

I took this from here - http://g35driver.com...wont-start.html

although my car just won't start at all:

Most aftermarket flywheels for the VQ35 models have a FWD and RWD crank dowel index. There should be two holes on the back of the flywheel and you have to make sure you have the dowel in the correct one. If you have it indexed incorrectly it can cause the car to stall, stumble and run like crap in general! Check this out and let me know what you find.

As a side note, I have seen some aftermarket flywheels that have the timing trigger miss-aligned or backwards. You can check this as well to insure that the orientation is correct. Comparing it to the stock flywheel would be the easiest way to assess this. There was a change in the timing trigger as well that occured in 2007. If you had the wrong flywheel for your model year it could cause issues like this too. What model year is your car? Let me know and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!

A little update for anyone who is interested. Apprently the NATS has died and they need to replace the chip and reprogram all the keys. It also needs a new battery and with all the diagnostic work they've done its going to cost £860 to fix. Ouch.

Still, with any luck I should be on the road again buy the weekend, so I can start looking for a replacement car for the Mrs's write off!

Sounds like something a donor car could contribute for you. Alex could probably supply all the parts cheaper, although it wouldn't help you with the time to repair.

These things don't go wrong very often and if you are a diy man it's usually sorted with a soldering iron on a dry joint, or even a good hairdryer (common trick for faulty graphics cards in computer).

It sucks when this sort of thing happens, but I usually find things always seem to all happen at once!

A few years back, my girlfriend left me, I got made redundant from my job, my icelandic bank went bust taking all my life savings (did get them back in the end) and my car broke down - all within the space of 2 weeks!!!!!! argh!