Nurburgring - April/May/June 2013?

Hi all,

I noticed threads relating to Nurburgring trips from April 2011 and April 2012... was wondering if anyone was planning something for this year as I'd be keen?

Cheers,

Ryan

Any other takers? I was thinking if we got a decent group together, could work out a day when it's open throughout the day. If you like, we could all rendezvous round by my place in Luxembourg and complete the remaining 1h30 drive there from my place....

I'm going over in June, also doing the stelvio pass :)

How many people in your group Arran? Really want to go down to Stelvio myself... but not sure I can afford fuel/accommodation costs. Will need to review the bank situation further towards to the date.

Right, so far we've got two interested and could possibly coordinate with Arran and his group of 20 for when they arrive. Suppose whether you continue the trip with Arran etc, would depend on the organisers of that particular tour.

1. Jaz 350z

2. D12BHP

Not sure I will be able to join on the whole trip, but would be interesting to see if any others might be up for tagging along?

Just FYI Arran, according to the calender, the ring is only open from 17h30 - 19h30 that day... I always find it best to go on a day it's open all day (closest being Sunday 30th June 2013 - open from 0900 - 1900).

You can, but you need many thousands of pounds and there's a waiting list that's a good few years long: BaT are doing only their second track day there in 13 years this year, their first one was in 2010!

Or you could just book up with BaT and do it as a proper trackday, which is a much better idea. :)

Ah I see.

I do, yes, based on the principle that I cannot afford to replace the car if I write it off. Well, I did on the Zed and the 911, but I don't with the MX5 'cos it's not worth a whole lot! :lol:

It's risk-based: If you're happy with your own driving AND feel lucky that no-one else will drive into you, or can afford to replace the car if you bin it, then don't bother. If you feel nervous about any of that, then get some insurance. You'll be better off getting a road policy that includes trackday coverage, but for the odd day here or there then just get single day cover.

Moris will quote you for the Ring, and they're quite reasonable too.

Ah I see.

I do, yes, based on the principle that I cannot afford to replace the car if I write it off. Well, I did on the Zed and the 911, but I don't with the MX5 'cos it's not worth a whole lot! :lol:

It's risk-based: If you're happy with your own driving AND feel lucky that no-one else will drive into you, or can afford to replace the car if you bin it, then don't bother. If you feel nervous about any of that, then get some insurance. You'll be better off getting a road policy that includes trackday coverage, but for the odd day here or there then just get single day cover.

Moris will quote you for the Ring, and they're quite reasonable too.

Strongly recommend that you DO take out insurance cover.

You need to factor in not only repair or write off costs to your car BUT if you have an accident and are held to blame you could be liable for circuit repair costs (ARMCO barrier replacement) PLUS if someone has an accident as a result of any indiscretion on your part you could be liable for their repair costs PLUS any personal injury caused!

I've driven and raced at the 'Ring for many years and for a newcomer it can be intimidatingly daunting. more of a worry is it can be beguilingly seductive to think you know the place after a few laps. There are many MANY parts of the circuit that at first sight are easily mistaken for others. I had a mahoosive accident at Wehrseifen one year through a moment's inattention as it looks so much like the entry point to Breidscheid - well trust me it ISNT! The entry speed and apex speed are very different!

Luckily I only damaged my car, and my pride, but had I taken someone else out then my wallet would have been much lighter!

I wouldn't dream of taking part in an open day there without insurance - thos accidents you see on YouTube are salutroy lessons for us all.

Having said that the adrenalin rush and fun factor are enormous and addictive!

David

Insurance doesn't cover damage to the armco at the Ring, nor does it cover damage to other cars. You would have to pay for the armco damage yourself, plus any track stoppage time. As long as your weren't negligent with your driving, then you wouldn't have to pay the costs of damage to other cars.

Insurance doesn't cover damage to the armco at the Ring, nor does it cover damage to other cars. You would have to pay for the armco damage yourself, plus any track stoppage time. As long as your weren't negligent with your driving, then you wouldn't have to pay the costs of damage to other cars.

Insurance can cover whatever you want it to cover if you are prepared to pay the premium. You can have cover for damages caused to 3rd party property and personal injury.

As for not being liable if not negligent - good luck in taking that approach and trying to defend any action taken against you should you eg drop oil or water and cause a following biker to crash on the fluid. Is that negligence? Doubt it - could just be a mechanical failure - but you would still be liable and into a wordl of financial pain.

Of course insurance is not obligatory all I was giving was my opinion and I defend to the death the right of others to give theirs too!

David