370 steering lock issue - recall - action

Will370z

• 4 months later...

You will find the answers on this thread at posts 37, 127 and 157, as regards those 370 models which were included in the recall and that was for those made up to the end of 2010. See: http://ww2.justanswer.co.uk/uploads/MU/05muranosl/2014-01-30_155727_steeringlock.pdf

2013+ 370 models do not have the steering lock fitted, so the 'issue'  should not apply....unless someone knows otherwise.  But it appears some 370's between 2011 and 2013 have also been affected but not covered by the original recall.....Whether a goodwill payments are still being paid, I suspect might be doubtful.

For the pre-2013 models the advice to avoid being stuck is remove the appropriate fuse - but make sure you follow the correct procedure. (There is guide somewhere on here)**. I'm sure I recall at least one owner saying their replacement lock had failed!  So doing the fuse trick is the safest way to avoid a very nasty bill and given Nissan decided in 2013 the locks were not necessary and has not affected the Thatcham security (for insurance purposes).

EDIT:  Guides here:

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IN BLUE IS LIFTED FROM OTHER FORUM POSTS SIMPLY TO HOPEFULLY HELP MEMBERS ON HERE.

A picture of the fuse that matters (the fuse box is next to the battery):

10d762f.jpg

You have to pull the fuse after you get the SLU to let the car go to ON or ACC. If the SLU is not making the microswitches properly, it does no good to pull the fuse.

If, like the OP, your lock try wiggle shaking and banging the crap out of it to jar it loose first. Blow a heat gun/hairdryer on it if its cold etc. You only need it to disengage one last time. Some have luck tapping it with a little hard object like a SMALL hammer or screwdriver. My understanding from reading various threads over the pond is that over-lube inside causes failure of some plastic bits and the little gear teeth fail then get hung up. Tapping might get it one last time, then once its unlocked you can pull the fuse and save a lot of money and a wasted day or two.

Edited by Ebized

• 5 months later...

Steelbeans - You are aware from this thread that replacement locks have been known to fail?

Best advice is to not have one (lock will not work) or if you are like some and worried about it missing (insurance issues - but that is really a red herring given later 370s do not have the locks fitted with no other security upgrades as far as I am aware), then use a blown fuse.......

6 minutes ago, Ebized said:

Steelbeans - You are aware from this thread that replacement locks have been known to fail?

Best advice is to not have one (lock will not work) or if you are like some and worried about it missing (insurance issues - but that is really a red herring given later 370s do not have the locks fitted with no other security upgrades as far as I am aware), then use a blown fuse.......

Yes realise that, but want to sell the car in fully working order (unlikely to go in the next few weeks surely) . Will advise the new buyer of it and advise to pull the fuse. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I Just had my steering lock go on me!
I went out on Friday night to get fish and chips and when I got back in the car..... nothing...dead car in Lock mode.
Called for recovery to take the car home...At least I had something to eat while I waited lol

Over the weekend I read this forum and tried hitting it etc but nope the car is not starting.

I sent email to Nissan quoting the recall number etc seeing where my luck was, but my luck was as dead as the car with basically a you must be joking from nissan support, we have no recalls on your car rest assured you can drive it with peace of mind.....LOL apart from the fact I can't start it yeah!

I called the local garage, "sorry we are not a Zed garage, have to go to another one 25 miles away".

I thought I would give it one more go with the bashing and read on here also that heating it up might help. So got home heat gun and bigger hammer in my grasp, after getting it nice and hot and thwacking the crap out of it it's still stuck in Lock mode. Now heres the funny part where my luck changed!

My battery had gone flat and the windows would go down when opening the door, but would not go back up again and I had found a video of how to put a pin in one of the connections in the Steering lock module to get the car to cycle through Lock, ACC and ON, which I had sucessfully done a few times already but the car would not start. After heating and beating the part in question and of course having to open the doors a few times my windows were down, so putting in my pin and cycliing to ON I drew up the windows, giving up and thinking I had a big bill coming, I was actually on the phone at this point also to recovery to take the car to Nissan, thinking while it was in the ON position I would try the starter one last time....HOLY CRAP it started!!!!
"Hold on to that recovery truck I said I got it started, I'll get back to you". I took the car to pieces and took out the £1000 fuse and now my car is all fixed, starts straight away again.,......PHEW!!!

Thanks to everyone that has posted on this issue, I got away with a hefty bill by skin of my Teeth!!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Zulu37Oscar said:

4 hours ago, Zulu37Oscar said:

I went out on Friday night to get fish and chips and when I got back in the car..... nothing...dead car in Lock mode.
Called for recovery to take the car home...At least I had something to eat while I waited lol

Over the weekend I read this forum and tried hitting it etc but nope the car is not starting.

I sent email to Nissan quoting the recall number etc seeing where my luck was, but my luck was as dead as the car with basically a you must be joking from nissan support, we have no recalls on your car rest assured you can drive it with peace of mind.....LOL apart from the fact I can't start it yeah!

I called the local garage, "sorry we are not a Zed garage, have to go to another one 25 miles away".

I thought I would give it one more go with the bashing and read on here also that heating it up might help. So got home heat gun and bigger hammer in my grasp, after getting it nice and hot and thwacking the crap out of it it's still stuck in Lock mode. Now heres the funny part where my luck changed!

My battery had gone flat and the windows would go down when opening the door, but would not go back up again and I had found a video of how to put a pin in one of the connections in the Steering lock module to get the car to cycle through Lock, ACC and ON, which I had sucessfully done a few times already but the car would not start. After heating and beating the part in question and of course having to open the doors a few times my windows were down, so putting in my pin and cycliing to ON I drew up the windows, giving up and thinking I had a big bill coming, I was actually on the phone at this point also to recovery to take the car to Nissan, thinking while it was in the ON position I would try the starter one last time....HOLY CRAP it started!!!!
"Hold on to that recovery truck I said I got it started, I'll get back to you". I took the car to pieces and took out the £1000 fuse and now my car is all fixed, starts straight away again.,......PHEW!!!

Thanks to everyone that has posted on this issue, I got away with a hefty bill by skin of my Teeth!!!

Now go out and buy a lottery ticket!

Nice to hear a good ending.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zulu37Oscar said:

I'd still contact Nissan and see if the lock should have been swapped on the recall and wasn't done.

• 1 year later...

Some updated info to help people coming here from search engines:

VSC / Recall issued by Nissan on 28th March 2013, campaign ref. P3208.

“On Thursday 28th March 2013 the campaign (ref. P3208) was loaded onto dealer computer systems.  Cars that qualify for the campaign are early 370Z and GT-R models which have steering locks 48700-JF00B and 48700-JF00C.  These would be replaced with the most recent item 48700-JF00D.”

There is no time limit on the campaign and there is no upper limit on the mileage of the car.

I've attached a photo with how mine was looking like before being replaced, that's on the 370z.

The part number you need is: D8700-JF00D, this supersedes, 48700-JF00A, 48700-JF00B, 48700-JF00C, and 48700-JF00D.

2013-11-20_22-10-23.jpeg

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 18.45.13.png

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 18.45.20.png

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 18.45.30.png

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 18.45.46.png

• Like 2