370 steering lock issue - recall - action

Will370z

They called me back and basically said as I bought mine privately and it is not within the manufacturing date etc they will not be able to contribute to the repair. Im taking it to the motor ombudsman as I'm well aware from this forum and others that this is an issue that is common place on a lot of the 370z models not just those prior to March 2010. Really negative experience so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask for the old lock back.

You will be able to see the part number.

I believe it is the B part number lock that is a problem, which yours probably is even with a later VIN.

Locks after recall were C and D part numbers.

Others feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but this should help you in your challenge with Nissan.

Yes mate, I will be ringing them tomorrow to let them know I want them to keep the lock back. Not going down without a fight

From a little research (found on US sites) the issue is by no means confined to the 370's - most Nissan/Infinity models made in the same period also suffered from the steering locks fault and it seems that whilst 'warranty' on the offending part was extended by 3 years on 1/4/2013, notwithstanding that it seems vehicles post 1/4/2013 (after 370 Chassis number 300691) were also affected! It also appears to not be confined to just Nissan/Infinity vehicles and seems to be a basic design fault by whoever made the items. Also, there is doubt that even the replacement locks are fail-safe, hence owners pulling the fuse. Later vehicles I gather no longer have the locks fitted so it begs the question as to their need given the other anti-theft protection that still attracts Thatcham1 endorsement.

Nissan have refused to acknowledge there is any safety issue that would have required them to do a full recall.......hmmmm, but the issue of 'goods not fit for purpose' raised by some does not appear to have been pursued that you would hope a Small Claims Court would support. Sadly it looks likely those few owners still affected might well have to fund the fix themselves although from some some posts on this thread - e.g. 80 & 93, contributions/ex-gratia payments towards the fix have been made in the past.

This link will take you to the US Bulletin showing the fix if that helps those trying toi minimise the hit on their pockets: http://ww2.justanswe...teeringlock.pdf

Nissan might think it is small beer, but with the nasty taste it leaves that will linger and make some think about having another one of their models..... :dry:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"insert expletives "

guess what happened my car on sunday night.

went to get petrol, put petrol in, went in paid for petrol,

came out, car wouldn't start,

key light showing on dash, plugged key into key holder, light on key holder flashes,

tried everything, car won't recognize key,

had to phone home for someone to take me in the spare key,

same problem,

neither key would start the car,

had to get car recovered,

left car with recovery company at their yard and they disconnected the battery and tried both keys again the following morning, still nothing.

recovery people left the car into local Nissan dealer on Monday,

today the dealer phones and tells me the bill is going to be over £1000.00, for new steering lock and labour

told them there was a recall on this for some Zeds, they did their best and could find no info on this,

so i then phoned nissan customer care and opened a case today,

i'll hear back within 3 days,

i told them all about the posts here and i could provide a link if they needed it.

my car is a 2011 - 370Z GT Edition,

Edited by MrMartinPGrant

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!

so here's where i am with this now,

4 weeks later, still no car,

phoned the dealer today and was told they were still waiting on Nissan,

so phoned Nissan and told me they were waiting on the dealer getting back to them,

i told Nissan that the dealer has already given them all the info, service history, date of purchase and so on,

i was then informed by Nissan that they'll not be giving me anything towards this as the last two services, one of which was done by the dealer i bought the car from were not a Nissan dealer,

ive now phoned the dealer back and told them to get me the bill ready,

i've now pretty much decided that the car will be sold and i will never again buy a Nissan,

i was looking at a 370Z nismo, not going to happen now.

and btw ive also been told by nissan that nothing posted here in this forum has any bearing on anything.

EDIT- Maybe it's time i go speak to my solicitor

Edited by MrMartinPGrant

As your car is a 2011 model, it doesn't fall into the recall section. It sucks, but really there's precious little you can do here apart from suck it up and get it sorted at your own cost. Legally, I don't see where you can go as your contract is with the supplying dealer not Nissan (when did you buy the car?).

I agree that I'd be mad as hell too and vow never to buy another, but that's the world we live in I'm afraid. Nissan really do not have a clue about customer service, especially on their sporty models unless it's a GT-R.

As your car is a 2011 model, it doesn't fall into the recall section. It sucks, but really there's precious little you can do here apart from suck it up and get it sorted at your own cost. Legally, I don't see where you can go as your contract is with the supplying dealer not Nissan (when did you buy the car?).

I agree that I'd be mad as hell too and vow never to buy another, but that's the world we live in I'm afraid. Nissan really do not have a clue about customer service, especially on their sporty models unless it's a GT-R.

i think my issues with nissan are that others seem to have had help from nissan on this issue, on cars after the effected date, also that it has taken 4 weeks to be told that the case is not closed as they are waiting on more info from the nissan dealer who has my car, when all info was already passed to nissan, and then be told there'll be no help.

Car was purchased on 14/02/2015, i'm also a bit pi**ed that now i don't know what other make of other car to go for, i really liked both the 350Zs ive owned and this 370Z. but this whole ordeal has left me really bothered.

i think my issues with nissan are that others seem to have had help from nissan on this issue, on cars after the effected date, also that it has taken 4 weeks to be told that the case is not closed as they are waiting on more info from the nissan dealer who has my car, when all info was already passed to nissan, and then be told there'll be no help.

Car was purchased on 14/02/2015, i'm also a bit pi**ed that now i don't know what other make of other car to go for, i really liked both the 350Zs ive owned and this 370Z. but this whole ordeal has left me really bothered.

I feel your pain mate I had exactly the same response as you. I took it to CEO and got the same response. I even questioned why if they don't think it's an issue did they remove the lock completely from the 2013+ models...their response "We cannot answer that question"...shambles

• Like 1

update ***********

the Nissan dealer in newry phoned me this morning, i will say the dealer has been very helpful, last week i was at the stage where i was getting nowhere with Nissan,

but now good news, after the dealer pushing my case i have a result, nissan will now help me with the cost.

i do have to wait another week but i've waited this long, so......

anyway it's good news and a result.

i may still go for the nismo, we'll see :)

Edited by MrMartinPGrant

Good to hear that news :thumbs:

You might wish to consider the fuse pull/blown once the new lock has been fitted as it has been reported that replacements have failed and as the 370's post the build date of yours do not have the lock fitted anyway (I wonder why :dry: ) so you do not have all that incoveinence again. ;)

• Like 1

update ***********

the Nissan dealer in newry phoned me this morning, i will say the dealer has been very helpful, last week i was at the stage where i was getting nowhere with Nissan,

but now good news, after the dealer pushing my case i have a result, nissan will now help me with the cost.

Happy for you mate...bit annoying for me as I was in the same boat and had to fork out £1,050 to get it fixed don't really understand how they've come to a different conclusion

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

sorry guys only getting back on now, just been so busy this past few weeks,

so here's another update,

after shaking a few trees, so to speak, and many phone calls to the dealer and nissan uk,

my case had been escalated and a case manager appointed to my case,

i was given a direct line phone number to her, the only problem is the number can only be used if your case has been escalated.

even then i wasn't really getting any where until,

using this website and the internet i gathered as much evidence as i could,

nissan uk did not admit any liability but in good faith have paid for all parts used and a good percent of the labour,

i was told two weeks ago to come pick up my car from the dealer even though the case is still not closed,

i phoned the dealer today to enquire about the bill but they can't bill me until nissan close the case,

ive been told it's looking like i'll not be out of pocket much more than £100.00.

so today i asked the dealer to come back to me with some prices for a 2015 - 2016 nismo.

looks like i'll be staying with nissan for a few more years to come :)

Good to hear that news :thumbs:

You might wish to consider the fuse pull/blown once the new lock has been fitted as it has been reported that replacements have failed and as the 370's post the build date of yours do not have the lock fitted anyway (I wonder why :dry: ) so you do not have all that incoveinence again. ;)

i actually brought that up with the dealer today, about pulling the fuse.

update ***********

Happy for you mate...bit annoying for me as I was in the same boat and had to fork out £1,050 to get it fixed don't really understand how they've come to a different conclusion

i just think me being so pushy and annoying paid of in the end

Edited by MrMartinPGrant
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Morning, 

Got stranded yesterday at my local post office.

Suspect it's the steering lock from reading through the above.

Car has been recovered and left at my local nissan who will be looking at it friday/monday who I expect will say it's the lock.

My car is a 61 plate. Services have been done with nissan and the last one was with cougar store.

If for whatever reason I have no luck in them offering to replace for free, can I look at buying the part myself and fitting?  Or is there any coding etc needed? 

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

See post No.165 above - the latest (partial) success by a member  - you really do need to keep pushing dealer/Nissan. ;)

OK, the older the cars get after warranty has expired then the harder getting a 'goodwill' gesture from Nissan it is going to be.  If your car has continually serviced by Nissan dealers that might help things, but going on previous charges yours seems way over the top.  It is a shame the owner of your car did not repsond to the recall notification at the time.......or maybe it is a second failure, hence the fuse pulling work-around post the fitting of a replacement lock to stop a reoccurence.

Hopefully a member local to you in Coventry may be able to advise as to a dealer who will be more helpful and push on your behalf, if the current one is not.

Good luck. :thumbs:

They really are not interested and keep saying if my steering lock had a recall it would have flagged up.

Once I get it home I'm going to check the part number with that of the recall number.

I've had a much better price from cougar store if all tricks fail.

Cheers

I have heard a lot about this steering lock issue or as they say the £1000 fuse:scare:,so today I decided to remedy this,checked you tube video and pulled the £1000 fuse out, it took me about 30 minutes all in cleaning and putting parts back together.It is actually quite nice to hear the engine firing up without the clonking noise of the steering lock.

I actually did not realise it made such a noise till I pulled the fuse:blush:

5 hours ago, lee1988 said:

They really are not interested and keep saying if my steering lock had a recall it would have flagged up.

Once I get it home I'm going to check the part number with that of the recall number.

I've had a much better price from cougar store if all tricks fail.

Cheers

;)All the background material about the recall can be found in this thread - see post No.153 in particular, but also post nos 60, 95 and 127 for the necessary detail.

Your only issue is one of time since the recall was first issued but as  MrMartinPGrant found this year, badgering away at least got him a fair slice of the cost paid.  Wonder if his idea of getting a new Nismo had a helping hand 

Hi all ... new to the forum but just thought I’d drop my recent experience in here, may be of help to somebody. Have a 2011 370z and never heard of the steering lock issue before. Anyway went shopping last Sunday Car was fine on the way down no key light on the dash or any sort of warning. Come out off the shop load shopping into the car try to start it and nothing and the key light is on. After a few minutes of trying different things still nothing so I google the problems and I find this thread. Now I must admit I kind of only read the first page so I thought no problems Nissan recall issue I’ll get the AA to take me home and get on to Nissan UK and my local dealer in the morning get it booked in no problems. So after a 4 hour wait I finally got the car home and had to stuff it in the garage as the windows had scrolled down when the doors where opened and they hadn’t gone back up. Monday morning I give Nissan UK a call. (Figured I’d speak to them first get the recall confirmed before I book it in.) so I get through give them my VIN number and I’m told nope no recall but try the local dealer as they have a different system. So I do and get the same answer no recall so I try to book my car in anyway and I get told I can’t get in until the 28th sept and I’d have to get my car trailered there as they don’t have a recovery service. So I come back on here and read the rest of the thread and see that many others are having the same problem and it’s around a £1000 fix. This isn’t really ideal at the moment just moved house and still have furniture and other crap to buy. So I started having a look around online and see a lot of American videos on YouTube seems the Nissan Altima and some others have the same part, Same problem. So thought I’d give it a go it’s broke anyway. So I find the unit under the steering wheel and see it’s held in by 2 what appear to be studs. (Pictured). After half hour and 2 ruined screwdrivers I decided that they weren’t coming out so I’d have to try and get the back of the unit off. Bit of a pain but i spose it’s part of the security system so shouldn’t be easy to get into. (Also be careful when trying to get the unit apart I damaged the PCB and had to get it repaired). So once the back is off there are 2 small torx screws that hold the pcb in and then it just needs unplugging and pulling out. Then you will see a white gear with the steering lock bolt in the middle and you just have to wind it back in the release the lock. When you do this the rest of the unit becomes loose and you”ll notice that the 2 studs are now loose. This is when i realised they aren’t studs they are headless screws and they are just finger tight and easy to remove and free up the rest of the housing. Now all you have to do is wind the bolt all the way back in and put the PCB back in, you will see the the bolt then depresses the 2 switches on the PCB. Now you can put the module back together and plug the connector back in. Now you should be able to start your car (I suggest you put it into ACC and pull the fuse. I believe there is a detailed description on the fuse pull method further up the thread). Only issue you should have is that you’ll have to put up with the yellow key light being permanently on until you get it properly fixed.

I know not everyone is up for messing around with their cars and Nissan might not be too happy when they see the state of the module that I smashed the back off but this has helped me get my car up and running and saved me a few quid in taxis and getting my car towed to the dealership.

Also... 

On Monday I also tweeted Nissan detailing my complaints and they replied asking that I DM them my details which I did and they said they will get back to me. Still waiting to hear back so I will let you guys know what they say.

Alternatively I have looked on eBay and found a 2013 370z being broken and messaged the seller who will sell me the part for £150, if Nissan still aren’t willing to sort this then I’m going to try this spare part swap as it will work out significantly cheaper than what Nissan are charging to swap these parts out.

F528C928-796D-44E2-9AA0-2B06E63B2F63.jpeg