Range Rover Sport - Purchased page 5

marzman

Have you driven one yet? If you want one now, just wait ......... :lol:

:lol: :lol:

No not yet. Im going to the Range Rover garage in Knutsford today on my lunch for a mooch about.

Im getting more and more tempted to buy another P38 down the road from me ........... despite the fact its absolutely identical to mine other than having LPG. Why am I considering doing this to myself?? :lol:

Oh agreed Chris, the prices of the 2010+ cars will be affected (and why anyone would buy a new car the year that a replacement model comes out i will never know!). But for the market im looking at... piddly little 100k+ miles beat up old things at £8k, it will be a loooong time before the release of the new model starts to affect the pool of cars that im buying from.

I still reckon it'll have a knock-on effect. Value of a 2012 car will take a pasting because of the new model being released, and it'll ripple all the way down the years 'til you're right at the bottom of the market where value is purely dictated by condition.

• 2 weeks later...

So i'm going to view this tonight:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304276489623/sort/default/usedcars/price-from/7000/model/range_rover/make/land_rover/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/10/page/1/postcode/sk102hx?logcode=p

It's local to me and i've been emailing the guy... he's had it 5 years and its already had it's gearbox and air suspension replaced amongst other things. Its the 4.4l V8 Petrol though, when i wanted a diesel... so this will cost me about £1200 a year extra in fuel... ho hum. B)

Nice, but the fuel on the V8 is ridiculous, mine uses twice what the Zed does (and literally 4 times what my 207 Diesel does). Having to put 20 bucks of fuel in to drive 40/50 miles quickly becomes a pain in the wallet, I wouldnt look at anything that isnt diesel or LPG converted already.

It's local to me and i've been emailing the guy... he's had it 5 years and its already had it's gearbox and air suspension replaced amongst other things.

You say that like it'll never have to be done again.... :p:lol:

How did you go on Chris?

Well... i feel kind of freaked out. :blush:

Upon driving up i could see the car parked outside the guys house and it looked immense. Totally cool looking. I was kind of blown away when i first saw it.

But then looking round it, it does need some attention. It needs a respray on the front bumper due to a lot of stone chips but worse still some lacquer peel. It has a single large key scratch on the passenger door. Then the window tints on the drivers window are peeling and need to be redone, the wheels need a refurb, and the interior could do with some tidying up as there are a few scratches etc. So overall condition wise i'd say it was a 6/10 and i'd say it needs around £850 spending on it to get it to a 9/10.

However on the positive side the engine sounds immense, there's 8 months tax and 12 months MOT on it, it's had a lot of work done over the last couple of years (allegedly). The guy didnt have any receipts as he said he'd sent them all to his accountant for the end of the financial year, but he's going to ask for them to be posted back by the end of this week.

So... at the moment im kind of in a strange place. My head says i shouldnt get this one but i really like the look of it. Okay it's probably a bit Katie Price with those wheels but i can live with that (and is the look i want to go for!)

Price-wise, it's up at £8k but during the day i'd told him i was only prepared to pay around £7500 which he was okay with. But then whilst i was there and i was pointing out what work needed doing, he voluntarily dropped the price to £7300 which was a bit of a game changer for me. I was ready to walk until he said that.

I left him saying that YES i would buy it - under the condition that i review and accept all of the paper work with it later this week which he said is absolutely fine. So i dont know how to feel really.

It would help if i'd seen more examples... but even that one on Beach Lane which was £5k more needed some bodywork attention so maybe it's not that bad.

3BF3F2C7-FA4B-45D8-9E41-337E13279F29-3134-00000591842AD9AB_zpsb91c2f27.jpg

765F2702-4CE7-461D-BCE3-E9AA01936F58-3134-000005918A29490C_zps32ef0639.jpg

Sounds like it's been run on a shoestring and he wants rid. Dropping the price unprompted would have me running away big time. Anyways, it's a buyers market with big V8 SUVs so don't just look at one or two.

I think the main thing is to make sure you see the receipts. the bodywork I know you can sort. Looking at prices for the petrol ones there seems to be quite a variation. The only other local one I could find was a white wrapped one in Stockport with 138,000 at £6,495, so £7,300 is something like I suppose.

I think the main thing is to make sure you see the receipts. the bodywork I know you can sort. Looking at prices for the petrol ones there seems to be quite a variation. The only other local one I could find was a white wrapped one in Stockport with 138,000 at £6,495, so £7,300 is something like I suppose.

Yep i've seen that white one on various sites, it looks pretty bad to be honest.

I think i've probably made this silver one sound worse than it really is... like you say if the paperwork stacks up then it could be a good deal. I reckon there might even be some money in it if i tidy it up and return it to stock somewhat, as there are very few locally at this price point. It all depends on the mechanicals being sound... and to me the engine appeared to be spot on.

Okay - i've slept on it and changed my mind. Im not going to get it.

I did my sums on the petrol vs the diesel last night and it's not pretty reading! It will cost me up to £50 out of my own pocket to go and visit some of my customers for work - even after i have received my fuel allowance!

For example if i have to drive up to Glasgow, it will cost me £175 in fuel but i will only be paid £125.

With a Diesel i will just about break even. :evil:

Company fuel allowance these days is pretty crap, esp if you are doing high miles. The money my wife`s company pays her barely covers the actual fuel costs on her car.

Ill say it again, my Rangey costs me 45p a mile in fuel alone. Unless you have an oil well in the back garden the petrol V8's arent practical.

Company fuel allowance these days is pretty crap, esp if you are doing high miles. The money my wife`s company pays her barely covers the actual fuel costs on her car.

Ill say it again, my Rangey costs me 45p a mile in fuel alone. Unless you have an oil well in the back garden the petrol V8's arent practical.

Yup... pretty painful. For the miles i intend to do i cant justify throwing that money away.

I spent the last year looking for a RRS pre 06 for road tax reasons and price but they were all around 80-100k miles. I got to the point were I was sick of looking at them (but still really wanted one lol) in the end I thought I would never be happy with one that was cheap for a reason as I would always be asking my self what's that noise what's that is this broke so I thought fook it and got a 58 plate RRS HST with 36000 mile and warranty for peace of mind and never looked back I absolutely LOVE it!!! The moral to my story is you could get hit by a buss tomorrow so think sod it blow all your money and get the one you want! Lol

I spent the last year looking for a RRS pre 06 for road tax reasons and price but they were all around 80-100k miles. I got to the point were I was sick of looking at them (but still really wanted one lol) in the end I thought I would never be happy with one that was cheap for a reason as I would always be asking my self what's that noise what's that is this broke so I thought fook it and got a 58 plate RRS HST with 36000 mile and warranty for peace of mind and never looked back I absolutely LOVE it!!! The moral to my story is you could get hit by a buss tomorrow so think sod it blow all your money and get the one you want! Lol

:lol: :lol: You're not helping!!

I'd have to sell the zed in order to get a newer/better model though and i dont want to do that, so i've got to stick with the bag of nails option if i want one.

Have you considered going down the LPG conversion route ( please don't hurt me ) my mates last two RR have been LPG conversion and he swears by them .

On another note a friend has just purchased a 2013 autobiography edition now that looks a wee bit special especially the interior trim.

Edited by raduv66

Have you considered going down the LPG conversion route ( please don't hurt me ) my mates last two RR have been LPG conversion and he swears by them .

On another note a friend has just purchased a 2013 autobiography edition now that looks a wee bit special especially the interior trim.

I'd really like an LPG, but at £2k to get fitted that's a big investment on a 100k plus car, and would take me 2 or 3 years to get it to pay for itself.

In terms of buying an already LPG'd car, these seem to be £1500 dearer and i'd always be nervous about it.

I'd really like an LPG, but at £2k to get fitted that's a big investment on a 100k plus car, and would take me 2 or 3 years to get it to pay for itself.

In terms of buying an already LPG'd car, these seem to be £1500 dearer and i'd always be nervous about it.

TBH its not something I've ever looked into but I'll have a word with my workmate as he has never had a motor converted to LPG but knows what to look for when buying a car that has.What I'm saying is one that's done correctly to spec.