Handy tools !

RobPhoboS

I thought I'd start this thread as I'm sure there are times when you are trying to work on the car, and you don't quite have the right tool to hand...

Hopefully this thread will help banish those pesky times ! (every time in my case)

:lol:

So, bar the usual spanners, sockets and sledge hammers, I'll get this going.

Crows Foot Spanner - I just ordered a 15 piece set, 8mm-24mm - they look seriously helpful !

250mm long, magnetic spark plug socket (10mm DE, 8mm HR)

Nylon/plastic trim removal kit - save scratching the interior trim

Flexible pick up claw (most seem 600mm long)

The biggest breaker bar you can get your hands on, in 1/2" drive. At least 1m is preferable.

Rubber mallet, for the times you need to give something vaguely breakable a clout.

I know you've mentioned spanners, but decent ratchet spanners are a must have (Halfords Pro range are excellent).

A 'Big Bertha': A long, thick shafted flat blade screwdriver. Often used more as a lever than as an actual screwdriver.

Buster (AKA Bob)

always have a Buster near by very handy ;)

Just to be clear, you're calling Bob a tool? :lol:

:thumbs:

I've always wanted one of these..

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4171e18d2b

Not even Keyser has one in the zed shed......................................................... YET :lol:

But I do have a planning app to rebuild the ZedShed with a higher roof so a ramp will fit :p

• 2 weeks later...

Socket extension thing (I'm not technical if you can't tell), needed one to get the passenger door card out.

I haven't got one but a few guides I read mention torque wrenches.

Edited by SuperStu

The biggest breaker bar you can get your hands on, in 1/2" drive. At least 1m is preferable.

Rubber mallet, for the times you need to give something vaguely breakable a clout.

I know you've mentioned spanners, but decent ratchet spanners are a must have (Halfords Pro range are excellent).

A 'Big Bertha': A long, thick shafted flat blade screwdriver. Often used more as a lever than as an actual screwdriver.

Agree with all of them. Those ratchet spanners are very good, ive a set of those halford ones myself.

The breaker bar is a must, saves you messing up your torque wrench. Speaking of which, a torque wrench is one of the best things ive bought, that and a wire brush. Oh and an Angle Grinder.

Think ive got to the stage now where ive nearly every tool i could possibly need, incl air tools & welders, but I still manage to find excuses to buy more.

Some key things I think are a copper mallet a wire brush, some wd40 and a breaker bar makes them tough bolts a hole lot easier.

And for reference the halfords pro are brilliant and if you look out for the online deals you can get them cheap I got a 150 piece socket set for £80 more than half price and the best money I have ever spent made working on anything a hole lot easier.

And I would have a look on eBay, I picked up a silverline torque wrench for just over 20 pound and even comes with something the halfords ser didn't come with a 1/2 to 3/8 socket adapter and also it has a lifetime guarentee. Not the best quality but does the job