TVR Cerb on wheeler dealers tonight

ewan221

What happened to the TVR factory in the end? Didn't it all end in a legal wrangle or am I getting myself confused? It was always my dream to own one after I'd dated two different men who owned TVRs but I actually preferred the look of the Zed in the end and it was in budget ;)

No, I know it is no more, sadly, but someone told me (last year or maybe the year before?) that the factory still had some TVR bodies (if that's the word :blush: ) hanging around outside and that someone had bought it with the intention of starting production again. I can't remember the full story but I think there were then some legal problems with the former owner(?) which meant that this idea was shelved???

I doubt I will ever own one now but I still have fond memories of going down to London at a rather sprightly pace with an old boyfriend and getting stopped on the way back for speeding and the policeman asking him if, "Sir thinks Sir is driving a bloody rocket"? :lol: I think he was doing double the allowed motorway speed limit so quite a naughty boy. I thought I'd got away with it until someone told my Mum who promptly banned me from seeing him again :blush:

i have never thought about owning one but i do love the sounds they make and the designs, especially the interiors seem to look amazing.

are tvr engines not a bit suspect? a local guy had a Cerb a few years ago and i got speaking to him at a local meet once and he said the engine went twice in about 18 months, one of them being a full rebuild which cost a fortune.

another guy i know had one for a few months during a period when he was buying a car, getting bored after a few months, selling it, and getting something else. it never happened to him but in the history that came with the car there was an engine rebuild in there somewhere. the car had only done about 40k!

The speed 6 engines will all need a rebuild at some point but thats now coming with a 3 year warranty - some I know of have done 100,000 plus since a rebuild. The AJPs not so bad reliability wise but not cheap to rebuild if they do go pop

The servicing and spares on a cerb are expensive and the chassis will need a refurb at some point but this is somewhat offset with lack of depreciation and with the fibreglass body there is no need to worry about rust as you would with most 15 year old cars. Mate of mine has just spent mearly £3k sorting out the sills in his 944 turbo and now has to get front wings done as well !!

If you want a cheaper way into TVR go down the Griffin/Chimaera route, engines pretty reliable cheap to service and look after and deprecation free as well :) The Griffins especially are rising in value every year

Edited by ewan221

I'm in the middle of spending between 2-3k sorting all the rust on the jag

Thats the big advantage of the TVRs - chassis rust can be sorted for £1000 to £3000 depending how bad and really thats it done, no more worries while with metal bodied cars you are continually chasing. Suppose you could have the bodyshell balsted and dipped but no idea how much that costs ?

is your gearbox tunnel ok ? A lot of XK8's go there and can be a pain to sort of not caught early