Sound of Compression Arm rattle ?

RobPhoboS

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out what the fook this annoying rattling is.

I recorded some audio, ignore the high ringy sound, I think that's just the battery dying in the mic.

The car was down at Abbey on Saturday, and the guys kindly had a quick listen and a look underneath. Nothing spotted that would cause the noise, so I'm left thinking it's probably one or both of the compression\banana arms. I know it's not the bushing end as there are SuperPro bushes in place.

I also tried quickly fixing the mic to near the compression arm but I couldn't hear the noise from either side. However, it was a bit slapdash, and I should probably just zip-tie it near the joint end properly to listen again.

Note:

Initially I thought the noise was coming from the driver side rear, something in the boot but I removed parts from there and the noise persists. I'll try the mic in different parts of the car as well.

Interiror_Sound.mp3

Edited by RobPhoboS

That's why I recorded the sound in the cabin, as other people have had it plenty of times - thus my thinking that someone may be able to say - yep, that's what it sounds like.

My dash does the annoying squeaky monkey sound, which I'm aiming to fix this weekend - in fact I want to get rid of all of the rattles, driving me mad ! :D

Although I'm not sure if it's the dash rattling, I'll move the mic to various positions and upload results.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll do my best to get some more audio up as it could help others at some point as well.

Something I've noticed in the last couple of days, the rattle sound comes on especially when I lightly touch the brake pedal, barely enough to slow the car down at all but enough obviously to move the pads slightly.

Decided I'm going to replace both, as I've no idea which one is the root of the cause. At least I'll know they are new.

A couple of questions regarding them:

Approximate life/mileage expectancy ?

Time fitting per arm ?

An hour and a half to do both. No idea about timeline but mine failed on 40k.

You can get two genuine Nissan ones delivered from eBay US for 50 quid.

Edited by 350Ad
  • Like 1

They are the same arms but are copies, not genuine Nissan. Some would say there is no great difference, others will say that you should stick to Nissan. Whichever the case make sure you get new cones as they old ones will be seized into the ball joints.

IME the compression arm bushing is quite a nasty 'thunk' noise, unlike drop links and the like which are a higher-pitched rattle.

They are the same arms but are copies, not genuine Nissan. Some would say there is no great difference, others will say that you should stick to Nissan. Whichever the case make sure you get new cones as they old ones will be seized into the ball joints.

IME the compression arm bushing is quite a nasty 'thunk' noise, unlike drop links and the like which are a higher-pitched rattle.

Jons, you're right about the clunk for the arms - I used to own Rob's car and had the compression arm bushes done due to the clunking. Once Horsham had fitted the bushes and I drove off to test them, I was treated to a new noise which was the high pitched rattle - new drop links cured that thankfully.

You enjoying the car still Rob (despite the new noises!)?

You enjoying the car still Rob (despite the new noises!)?

Hey man - absolutely, just slowly getting rid of rattles and squeaks :D

Resprayed the whole front end as well, so she's looking tidier :)

Edited by RobPhoboS

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys - just to confirm - that noise WAS indeed the compression arms.

I had new ones fitted today at Eurospec (been going to them on/off since 2004), highly recommended, all sorted :D

Note - Leeroy had Superpro bushes fitted to the old ones, I've still got the old bars and will have to take them out. But they seem loose in the central part, is that normal ?

Edited by RobPhoboS