Major JAAAAG project ...Update Feb 2018

leonk

Sounds GREAT!  I'd probably take it a little slower while you run her in though ;)

Good to know that you have started thinking about the big "First Key Turn" day Hope it comes as soon as possible for ya :thumbs:

Where are you based (I'm sure I know)  wanna drop in and see this :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/10/2017 at 20:24, DoogyRev said:

Blah, blah, blah.. ... Since there is no update for over a month.....blah blah...:teeth:       

This my good friend is why there have been no updates :p       

Several miles of new loom to accommodate modern upgrades and Jaguar's almost complete lack of fused protection and relays to handle high current items. 

For instance, originally if you tried to crank the car with the lights on and say the wipers going you would melt the ignition switch :blush:

Back in 1961 everyone accepted that there was a whole procedure to starting or re starting a car. Now you would just have the guy behind pounding on his horn and gesticulating at you!

Still work in progress but the ignition and starting circuit is now finished.   

More pics of nice stuff soon.  

20171106_150439.jpg

• Like 1

holy mother of god :scare: that looks far too complicated for my simpleton mind to cope with :lol:

I can imagine a melted ingestion switch every time you start her up could get quite tiresome!

keep up the awesome work Leon, I always look forward to your updates B)

• Like 1

Cheers guys. The wiring is slow going but I've found it both confusing and rewarding.:wacko::)

Every spade or terminal crimped, soldered and heat shrieked. All the wires different colours that now mean something... all a bit more organised and logical.:lol:

Anyway moving on.

A few additional pics of more interesting stuff.

Oil cooler plumbed in, pipes routed neatly, modern alternator and circuit breaker hidden in original housing. 

22814329_1948518678697731_5364801843512705111_n.jpg

22728900_1948518642031068_7684076063241335931_n.jpg

DSC_1029.jpg

DSC_1032.jpg

DSC_1031.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just for Chris :). Carbs back on and all throttle linkages now rose jointed.

This means I now have, fuel, oil, water, exhaust and nearly electrics. Engine cranks and oil pressure showing on new wet oil gauge.  I am now tantalisingly close to firing her up but alas working this weekend.

Next post will be video of her running,  promise.

DSC_2720.JPG

DSC_1056.jpg

DSC_1057.jpg

Edited by leonk
Pics
  • Like 3

I'm late to the party, however on the fuel front, modern fuel killed the mocal high pressure fuel lines I had in my truck after a year.  After a bit of research I found that you can buy teflon lined fuel lines which are ok to run even pure ethanol on. Carburetors do not like our modern fuel though and all of the brass parts oxidise and you get a build up of green crusty stuff if the car stands too long. I envy most (ALL) of this build, especially the being able to buy decent fuel to put in it. I love the attention to detail you've put in.

• Like 2

Cheers guys.

@Aliveboy, that's the very reason I decided to go for the ethanol free racing fuel. It's the ethanol that absorbs moisture and destroys everything. 3 year shelf life and smells like petrol used to.:lol:

Edited by leonk
spelling
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Doogy, apologies for lack of an update. The little bit of time I had was spent refurbishing guages and finishing off the dash electrics and engine plumbing.  

The problem is, I'm my own worst enemy as I refit or go to fit something and then decide it's not up to the standard of the other bits. I ordered an expensive ITG air filter only to find it didn't fit properly so I'm having a new base plate made.

I wasn't happy with the exhaust heat shield I bought from a Jaguar supplier so had a custom titanium one made.

dx5S62m.jpg

As a direct result of me faffing around, I still have not had the engine running much to my and notably, your frustration. :lol:

This has been highlighted in my six year appraisal and further training has been recommended.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AliveBoy said:

Absolutely in awe of your dedication and pursuit of perfection. Love this thread.

This ^^

I you are going to do something then you might as well do it right Leon! Thanks for the update!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of an update. While waiting for the parts for the dash and gauges, I've now finished installing the brakes and bleeding them along with the clutch. I now have three pedals that do something! :yahoo:

Four pot calipers, vented discs and braided hoses as fitted to Eagle E types. 

3bJBAgc.jpg

Ry9iC4d.jpg

12gUX59.jpg

also the wiring and dash looking a bit neater than the last picture of it. Still work in progress though. Next job really is to get the engine fired up.

5gTYDte.jpg

Edited by leonk
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, SuperStu said:

Love the gauges and switch gear, you may be building an e-type or it may be a spitfire.

Have you had to make many tough decisions when it comes to purity versus sensible modern upgrades?

Thanks.  There's something strangely satisfying about the mechanical click of an old style toggle switch that has been lost on modern crash test compliant switches. The whole interior is lethal. If you're not impaled on the alloy and wood steering wheel, the rest of the dash will probably kill you at anything over 10mph :lol:

As regards the modifications and upgrades versus originality it has been a bit of a dilemma.

I've kept all the old calipers etc so it could be put back to original if someone wanted to.

The old 4 speed gearbox for instance is the original matching numbers one so I would never sell it even though they are fetching several thousand pounds now. I've upgraded to a five speed but the original is packed away in a crate.

The only exception so far being the wiring loom which now incorporates modern fuses and relays.

If it was a rare early 3.8 car then I would probably have gone more for originality.

Once finished I intend to use the car and would love to do a European trip so want it as reliable and safe as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1