Major JAAAAG project ...Update Feb 2018

leonk

Outstanding work so far, love to see projects like this making progress :thumbs:

@Keyser, anyone would think you were rebuilding your house :shrug:

Don't worry, he's on the other end of the 24hr Restoration Crisis Line ;)

I hope that's an 0800 number ;):lol:

Wow what a great project & I really like the the fact that your doing it properly, cutting no corners. Can't wait to see this progress. I've always wanted to restore an Old 240z but with the serious lack of time & other expensive hobbies I doubt I'll ever get around to it.

Keep up the great work :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually managed to get some more done. The problem is the more I do, the more I find to do. Here's a bit of an update for the patient die hard followers......

It's no longer a Flintstones mobile, the new floors are now in but need some more welding.

etype23120001_zps04edb615.jpg

I was hoping to save the sills but unfortunately they had been patched up at some point in the past. Until you start stripping things all this is invisible. Added to this in order to repair the inner sill strengtheners, the outer sills would have to come off, so why not do it properly.

First sign of corrosion having got hold..

Edriversfloor001_zpsc03608ff.jpg

sillgusset001_zps343f0a84.jpg

etypeapostrust_zps90729bb6.jpg

This would mean a bit of Bizz style engineering ( a bit of old cardboard and a roll of sticky tape ),

First, cut off more metal :scare:

Etypesills001_zps89bd2558.jpg

etypesillgussettemplates001_zps9f2e4728.jpg

Then have your local laser cutter make these for you...

etypenewsillgussets_zps1817354a.jpg

And then simply weld them in place..

etype23120004_zpsf7233e98.jpg

etype23120002_zpsb90f47ed.jpg

Aiming to get the other side done over Christmas and finish the floors.

Thanks for watching and Merry Christmas!

Edited by leonk

• 4 months later...

Thanks for remembering me Will! Still finding holes and spending money I hadn't budgeted for. Case in point is the front engine frames. They looked fine but the advice is if they rattle when you shake them they are rusty inside and need replacing. Can this be tested while still bolted to the car? No. Do mine rattle? Have a guess...... New ones ordered, just over £2k lighter in the bank! The next update will be in a couple of weeks when the shell goes for blasting and zinc epoxy primer so will get some pictures up. I am hoping this will mark a turning point.

• Like 1

Great news Leonk, glad your sticking with it, looking forward to the next update.

and yes' restoration is a bottomless pit..! :thumbs:

The daunting part is that I now have a garage full of dismantled car that now owes me R35 GTR money. Despite the set backs and extra costs, I am still enjoying the build .

Ultimately this is what I'm aiming for, the light at the end of the tunnel as it were.....

e-type-roadstergrey_zps78a367b1.jpg

And if I could get the engine bay like this, I'd be a happy man

Etypepolishedrockers2NICE_zpsfd05ffb6.jpg

Great news Leonk, glad your sticking with it, looking forward to the next update.

and yes' restoration is a bottomless pit..! :thumbs:

The daunting part is that I now have a garage full of dismantled car that now owes me R35 GTR money. Despite the set backs and extra costs, I am still enjoying the build .

Ultimately this is what I'm aiming for, the light at the end of the tunnel as it were.....

e-type-roadstergrey_zps78a367b1.jpg

And if I could get the engine bay like this, I'd be a happy man

Etypepolishedrockers2NICE_zpsfd05ffb6.jpg

That's beautiful. You get there. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Well at long last a bit of progress and a mini mid year update for the dedicated few who are still following this :blush:

Following a set back with the engine frames needing replacing, and another bill for £2k, the body went off for blast cleaning and zinc epoxy priming.

I had a few minor issues with the company that did the bonnet, loosing small bits and damaging the centre section so was very nervous about taking the shell to them. Instead I took it to a company in Warrington who I can not speak too highly of. They hand stripped the vast majority of it before blasting and actually worked through the night to get it in primer without leaving the freshly blasted metal to "flash over" with surface rust. Bizz and Keyser will be able to identify with this.

The car should be back with me Monday and i'm going up to the North East on Tuesday to pick up the new engine frames .

In the meantime here are a few pictures courtesy of the blast cleaning guys. Might not seem a big deal but for me marks hopefully a turning point where I can start to see some progress.

Blasting..

DSC_0027_zps2820b7fe.jpg

Priming..

DSC_0031_zpsbcf96263.jpg

10414469_588934984537067_1625406620791830235_n_zpsa65662f5.jpg

Just looking at these again I can't wait to get it back and get stuck in. Hopefully more frequent updates to follow :) and thanks for following !

• Like 1