Me and My Zed Thread

14N

OK, so after the epic fail of the Plastidipped wheels, I figured I'd cheer myself up and fit my popcharger that I'd successfully 'vultured' from the for sale thread.

When it arrived it looked a bit worse for wear:

Pop3_zps91d111b5.jpg

But I sanded the corrosion off the heat shield, gave it a polish, then cleaned and recharged the filter with a K&N recharge kit. Looks alright now :teeth::thumbs:

PopCharger1_zpsc429cbed.jpg

PopCharger2_zps7613646b.jpg

Next up.... WHEELS :)

OK, so after the epic fail of the Plastidipped wheels, I figured I'd cheer myself up and fit my popcharger that I'd successfully 'vultured' from the for sale thread.

When it arrived it looked a bit worse for wear:

But I sanded the corrosion off the heat shield, gave it a polish, then cleaned and recharged the filter with a K&N recharge kit. Looks alright now :teeth::thumbs:

PopCharger2_zps7613646b.jpg

Next up.... WHEELS :)

Ian, not everyday I comment about a fellow mans nuts, but your nuts are looking old!

:lol: I knew someone would comment on my grubby nuts. :p

Gonna take 'em off and clean or replace them. I debated whther to even put my pics up cos they stick out like a sore thumb don't they!?

Ad, I'll be honest mate, the jury is still out on the noise. Not the difference I was hoping for as I don't drive everywhere above 4000 rpm.

Thanks Wasso! Thanks for posting a pic up to further highlight how incredibly filthy and corroded my nuts and bolts are! And I can definitely see a pair of nuts in that second photo :lol:

I'm just glad you can't see the rest of my engine bay, cos you'd have a field day! :p

Maybe I should've left the heat sheild as it was, and just carried the 'theme' on.....

Edited by 14N

Ad, I'll be honest mate, the jury is still out on the noise. Not the difference I was hoping for as I don't drive everywhere above 4000 rpm.

Sounds similar to my Injen then, it only really comes alive above 4k. Which kind of suits me if i am honest.

Get someone else to drive it as it sounds different outside the car :thumbs:

• Like 1

Cheers :thumbs:

Wasn't too hard, you just need to be patient with the wrap and plan where you're gonna start and finish, especially with the centre console.

If you're gonna do the handles and dash, I'd do the passenger one first, then driver's, then finally tackle the dash last as you'll have a better feel for what you can/can't do with the wrap. :)

With the 'Plastidip episode' now a distant memory, here's a coupla pics taken at today's meet (before the others arrived) wearing my new wheels (Thank you Martinmac) :)

SAM_1620_zps8ea6f9a6.jpg

SAM_1621_zps1511481a.jpg

Next mod: An expensive circular piece of paper for the lower right hand corner of the windscreen :thumbdown:

Edited by 14N

looks good ian and even better on the move just need to sort that gap on the back now with some nice lowering springs :thumbs:

Agreed mate. The tank was virtually empty though, which didn't help. I think the short term fix will be a boot full of paving slabs. Won't do anything for the handling or performance, but at least it'll look cool :)

• Like 1

Thanks Pete :) They are 19's.

Front - 8J ET20. No spacers but thinking of fitting 5 or 10mm just to bring them out a little.

Rear - 9.5J ET40 with 25mm spacers (so effectively ET15). The offset on these is just right.

Here's another pic, just for the sake of it :)

WheelCloseUp_zpsf653e23d.jpg

I've ordered a set of Tein springs to reduce the mahoosive arch gap. Looking forward to seeing how it looks when these are fitted :thumbs:

Edited by 14N

Ian, the most you can fit without having longer wheelstuds is 3mm, otherwise you don't get enough turns on the wheelnuts. 10mms will work as long as you get hubcentrics though.

Looking forward to future developments :) .

Pete

Looking good mate! I saw some videos about the gunmetal plastidip and did think it looked a bit like primer...

They've just brought out a new colour called 'Charcoal Grey' which is apparently more like what people were hoping gunmetal would be.

• Like 1

SPRING HAS FINALLY SPRUNG!! :yahoo:

Tein_zps7ccbc862.jpg

Got my Tein S Tech springs today. Also received a pair of upper spring mounts courtesy of Sir Zedmanalex, who did me a ridiculously good, unspeakable deal on a used pair after I simply sent him a link to a pair for sale on eBay asking if they were the right ones. Cheers Alex :thumbs:

Why the spring mounts you may ask :shrug:

Well, the yanks seem to rave about removing upto half an inch from the rubber mounts to lower and/or even out the rear of their Zeds. I've only found positive feedback from people that have done this (maybe all the guys that 'could' leave negative feedback are in a ditch or 6 feet under).

I currently have a HUGE arch gap of between 50 and 70mm, depending on how much fuel I'm carrying. The Tein springs drop the rear of the car by 15mm, which would still leave me (I think) with a considerable gap. So I plan to carry out, what the American's affectionately call the 'rear spring mount mod' and chop a bit of rubber off :scare:

I didn't want to do this to my existing set, incase I fudge it up, hence the reason I sourced a second pair. I'm not going to hack half an inch off as our friends across the pond all suggest, I'm just gonna trim 5mm (it's originally 30mm) off the top and therefore effectively give me 20mm drop instead of 15mm.

Watch this space....

Edited by 14N
  • Like 1