12V Halfords buffer, Piece of junk?

CrumbMC

I picked up the halfords 12V buffer today, never used one before so i tested it out on my freshly cleaned bonnet before it got dark. It seems to oscilate and bounce up and down more than rotate, it took me quite a while to buff, and I still had to wipe it off by hand. Feels like the foam pad which i put the sock things on isn't centrally mounted. I could hear my bonnet vibrating regardless of how much or little pressure i used. - in fact with not much pressure at all it would stop, but like i said its only 12v so that probably shouldn't be a surprise.

I'm thinking 2 thinks:

maybe the 230V one would be smoother as it should have more torque and hopefully wont feel so cheap.

or as this is my first go, are all buffers like this unless i spend a tonne of money.

I was going to take it back in the morning as it is really does seem crap or am i just being a cheapskate and want too much for 30 quid?

Edited by CrumbMC

yeah i got the receipt still. only bought it today. going to take it back in the morning

just turned it on again. This may sound like an outrageous hyperbole but it actually vibrates my arms more than my 110V sds drill! can't be very good for my car. anyone tried the 240v halfrauds one, is it just as bad?

They are just like you describe and a world away from a flex, two totally different things. I have both and they both have their uses, you should maybe take some time to get used to it. Id say the reason its not buffing off is because you have used too much polish, its a pretty common thing!

hope this helps

Even a silverline rotary will be 1,000,000 time better - but a rotary 'proper' can be tricky to use for a novice and can cause damage.

Go for a DA or porter cable type random orbital polisher IF you've never used a rotary before... especially with soft jap paint.

You'd be a numpty to cause damage with a random orbital ;)

This may sound like an outrageous hyperbole but it actually vibrates my arms more than my 110V sds drill!

Late Valentines present for the missus maybe? ;)

Wouldn't want to offer voluntary redundancy :lol:

Use "elbow grease"....far better results and good exersise, recomend 3M Hand Glaze....!!! :thumbs:

Really?

Patch frum ukmkivs?

• Like 1

This may sound like an outrageous hyperbole but it actually vibrates my arms more than my 110V sds drill!

Late Valentines present for the missus maybe? ;)

Wouldn't want to offer voluntary redundancy :lol:

Use "elbow grease"....far better results and good exersise, recomend 3M Hand Glaze....!!! :thumbs:

Really?

Patch frum ukmkivs?

The one and only.

Edited by Patch

I have just bought the meguairs dual action polisher and bought the stage 1 2 3 kit with polishing and finishing pad, im going to clay bar the car then polish it and wax it, i wil post some pics when complete on wednesday :) keep your eyes peeled in the detailing section of the forum :)