Flip key - nearly sorted

jamesyj

No problem in having the blade cut? Just used a regular key cutting shop?

David

Yup, regular key cutting shop.

Best just take the blade only, because its difficult to fix the whole thing onto the cutting machine.

Cheers- glad I have one on order!

David

• Like 1

Presumably the circuit board etc fit securely/easily in the other half?

Darn - if only I wasn't so impatient I could wait till mine arrives to find out!

:blush:

Here you go, I disassembelled my other fob to show you, The back half holds the battery on a raised mold, so yes, the circuitry will be secure

585D07C6-5E45-40B7-BD4A-61F457E12371-88066-000009A6BBBEE1DE_zps5ed69f23.jpg

1A564D06-A4C1-40CA-9C7F-AC21F21F1BFD-88066-000009A6C65B7A03_zpscac8e261.jpg

I noticed that they didn't show a picture of the back side in the listing, and I'm still waiting for mine, but that looks suspiciously like a Nissan burger shaped recess. Job lot of Nissan blanks ended up on ebay somehow? Not that I give a stuff either way, it would imply that the quality would be up to acceptable standards, but does it look like your badge has fallen off?

I was intending to just go for the Nismo style badging if the Biscuit comes up with something cool, but if it looks like the badge has dropped off already I may need a little burger so that it doesn't look shabby already. :shrug:

I noticed that they didn't show a picture of the back side in the listing, and I'm still waiting for mine, but that looks suspiciously like a Nissan burger shaped recess. Job lot of Nissan blanks ended up on ebay somehow? Not that I give a stuff either way, it would imply that the quality would be up to acceptable standards, but does it look like your badge has fallen off?

I was intending to just go for the Nismo style badging if the Biscuit comes up with something cool, but if it looks like the badge has dropped off already I may need a little burger so that it doesn't look shabby already. :shrug:

AFAIK no model of the Nissan range has a folding/flip key. I remember seeing CAD designs of this shell last year before it went into production by a third party company. These shells do not come with badges attached or otherwise enclosed. These are deffo not genuine Nissan shells

Oh bloody hell, my burger badges didn't arrive! Dispatched though.

On a positive note, blade was cut, all put together, works in ignition but actually haven't started the car but I'm going out later so I'll test the transponder later.

My blade sits slightly off centre which annoys me a little, it's not absolutely perfect but it's as good as! Could maybe do with another screw near the blade hinge for example but beggars can't be choosers.

I packed it with blu tack so it's got a little weight to it now, much better.

All in all, a job well done!

Am struggling (gasps of shock!) with this!

Firstly I can't get the circuit board seated so that both buttons actually work, I can get the top button to click but the bottom one just doesn't seem to meet the silver button on the circuit board. I assume the rubber "tray" from the original key case is NOT re-used?

Secondly how the blazes does the flip blade/spring/button assembly go back together? It all pinged apart as I under the screws and never had a chance to see which bit was where!

Had success with some other mods today though, so it hasn't been a total disaster - will post those later.

A very frustrated David!

Edited by Tinyflier

Firstly I can't get the circuit board seated so that both buttons actually work, I can get the top button to click but the bottom one just doesn't seem to meet the silver button on the circuit board. I assume the rubber "tray" from the original key case is NOT re-used?

Secondly how the blazes does the flip blade/spring/button assembly go back together? It all pinged apart as I under the screws and never had a chance to see which bit was where!

Had success with some other mods today though, so it hasn't been a total disaster - will post those later.

A very frustrated David!

Make a cuppa and have a biscuit and relax :)

No the rubber tray is NOT re-used, it won't fit properly.

The best way I found to reassemble is to hold the back half and then line up the keyblade, with button and spring inside, into position.

You'll notice a little bit of the spring poking out sideways, which needs to "hook" onto the plastic nib in the seating hole.

Once lined up and while still holding everything in position, turn the keyblade counterclockwise (one rotation is sufficient), this will build up the tension.

Once done, while holding the whole thing together, line up with the other half (best when it's laying on the table).

Whilst landing the back half onto the front half, slip out your finger that has been holding the button down.

then just screw it all back together and voila, job done.

Hope this helps

Edited by BulletMagnet

A very frustrated David!

The best way I found to reassemble is to hold the back half and then line up the keyblade, with button and spring inside, into position.

You'll notice a little bit of the spring poking out sideways, which needs to "hook" onto the plastic nib in the seating hole.

Once lined up and while still holding everything in position, turn the keyblade counterclockwise (one rotation is sufficient), this will build up the tension.

Once done, while holding the whole thing together, line up with the other half (best when it's laying on the table).

Whilst landing the back half onto the front half, slip out your finger that has been holding the button down.

Hope this helps

Ok that has sorted out the flip blade gubbins -cheers!

Now will try and get the circuit board to fit!

David

A very frustrated David!

Hope this helps

David

Just curious, but is your Zed a JDM?

The reason I ask is when rodgeevans came round to pick up the exhaust and we disassembled the flip key for the first time, we did notice that the buttons on the JDM OEM key were smaller than the UKDM OEM.

If its not that, perhaps use some Blu Tack to position and hold?

A very frustrated David!

Hope this helps

David

Just curious, but is your Zed a JDM?

The reason I ask is when rodgeevans came round to pick up the exhaust and we disassembled the flip key for the first time, we did notice that the buttons on the JDM OEM key were smaller than the UKDM OEM.

If its not that, perhaps use some Blu Tack to position and hold?

No it's a UK model... BUT I've done it,,, that was soooo fiddly diddly...

Yes I used some blue tack once I had the circuit board in position to secure it. I found then I had to fit the blade, button and spring to THAT side of the case (face down), then use the other half of the case to rotate the spring ( which is quite possibly what you were patiently trying to tell me to do) and it just sort of worked!

Fiddly but worthwhile - even better was the young girl who cut my blank blade didn't charge me!

Time for a coffee and a post up my other mods of today.

David

Edited by Tinyflier