Yokohama A048s vs Toyo R888 vs Avon ZZR vs Federal FZ-201

wizard

Looking for some feedback on the above tyres specifically with the 350z platform.

The R888s or A048s need no introduction, we know they're brilliant... not so much in the wet as with many semi's...

What about the 'new contender' FZ201? Anyone had any experience with this tyre? Some people I've spoken to say it stacks up with the best of them... lasts longer then the 888s but do need warming up.

Edited by wizard

Never heard of it, so just had a look. Very interesting tread pattern, and by looking at it I'd say it would give better dry grip than the other 2 at the expense of wet grip.

*EDIT* Just had a look around and the consensus is that that's correct. Check the PH thread on them.

If they were going on a set of purely track wheels, I'd give them a punt for sure. If for road use as well, I think I'd stick with the more usable 888s.

If they were going on a set of purely track wheels, I'd give them a punt for sure. If for road use as well, I think I'd stick with the more usable 888s.

Yep, pretty much exactly my thoughts and what I've been advised by peeps in the know. Surprised we actually agree on something! :lol:

Would defo be for track exclusively. Currently run the 595-RSR which is awesome for both road and track, but am curious to see what the more hardcore semi's do on track.

Any experience with mixing front and rears? or would that be too much of a compromise?

One of the guys over here is the licenced importer of Federal Tyres and we even had a tech night there on Monday. The particular model you are talking about is more a track or rally tyre, more a dryer circuit. If you're wanting it for a bit more wet weather you'd need to have them grooved. They wear very well, and will really take a pounding on the circuit or rally stages. Number of our people running on them over here, including being the official tyre brand of Targa Rally cars.

In NZ they're not a legal tyre to use on the road, but that maybe different in the UK.

Presuming you're looking for a track tyre given the models you've denoted?

Hi Ray, No experience with this but reviews look favourable and since you had a good experience with the RSR then I would say go for it and give us feedback :)

I want to run semi slicks this year but don't want to lay through the nose! This is the one negative running large 19" tyres/ wheel combo.