cheap OBD2 reader

JohnUKVetteNut

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for a reader that will communicate through the OBDII with the torque app and show intake temps etc. Will any of the bluetooth readers do that on a JDM z?

This is exactly what I am looking for too.

Edited by fairladyzed

• 5 months later...

That's all I need is a bog standard one. Any ideas for best place to grab one?

Search OM500 on eBay. There are a few vendors now, about £24, comes straight from China, takes a couple of weeks, reads/resets DTCs but not PIDs, plugs into the OBDII port but reads JOBD for JDM, yellow with buttons and LCD display. I think that's all :thumbs:

obd is uk/euro signal the car uses for its ecu

Jobd is japan and somewhere elses cars, uses its signal for its ecu

so one wont work on the other basically, so make sure it says JOBD but get the one Chris B suggested as some on ebay state they work on JOBD but they dont (cruel world eh :wacko: )the suggested above is trial and tested ...

DTC errrrm Diagnostic something :lol:

PID ....no idea :lol:

Edited by jumping350

^^ Yep, that's the one.

DTC is diagnostic trouble codes - ie Pxxxx numbers, check engine codes etc

PIDs are parameters readable from the ECM - ie the live data that is viewed in the torque app for OBD II euro etc. As far as I know, there aren't any readers apart from Consult II (which is expensive) that can read JOBD PIDs or indeed which PIDs are even exposed by a JDM ECM. it's all a bit opaque unfortunately - which is the only thing negative about Jap import in my opinion - crimps the nerdiness.

I bought a WIFI and BT version both work fine with Dashboard on my UK Honda but not on the Zed. I did manage to get the BT one working via the android app that another user managed to get going can't find the thread but would display a fair few pids like rpm and temperatures etc. Understand its a language thing the Zed speaks in Japanese and the wireless readers I have don't