Help with car

peteman35

HI guys i am looking at buying a 350z but i am really unsure, i have done a load of research but i generally need some peoples opinions

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301285088692/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/7000/model/350_z/make/nissan/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/100/page/2/postcode/gu337ah?logcode=p

Thats the add, i did a hpi check and it didnt say its a import but its says it was registered may 2005, i rang the dealer again and he confirmed it was a import.

i am going to look at it tomorrow how will i know if the mileage is correct?

should i ask for any import documents?

Also when they came into the UK were the clocks changed? as it could have been clocked.

Is a bit over priced for a import?

any help would be appreciated

:welcome:

In answer to most of your questions that's the risk you take with an import although there are plenty of uk cars clocked every year.

You need to have a good look at the car and all relevant paper work then decide for yourself whether everything appears to be in line with the mileage or not.

Can't help on the price i'm afraid

• Like 1

Go and look at it bud, if its an import it will have an aftermarket rocker switch on the dash, and a out of place fog light in the arse.. Fire it up and the three gauge pod will still read in KPH even tho it does read at MPh your doing.. Or as mine has.. A piece of priceless idiot tape over the K on the dash speedo.. :) Haha

As for price, it's like a house it's only worth what a person is prepared to pay for it.. Have a scout round ( pistonheads etc and find an equilivlent Uk spec/jap spec, miles and work out the if its worth the price being asked..

Good luck with it

hi mate and welcome by the way,

Iif it is an import and was first registered in the UK then it has been here a while, and depending on the quality of the importer and there underspray wax coating abilities, you could find some rust about make sure to have a good look about underneath the car for rust and also signs of overspray paint if it has been repaired anywhere!

also if it is an import to add to plummermans post when u lock the car the wing mirrors will fold in automatically this was never an option on UK cars, my knowledge on import models is not that great but im sure all JDM cars had that as standard.

just check it out and then as Plummer man said do some research into the UK equivalent and mileage etc.

Good luck

If it's an import they've changed both the front and rear bumpers as imports normally have square / rectangular number plates

45k seems pretty reasonable for a '53 car - and whatever it did in Japan at the front of it's life is in km anyway - and as they can't turn the clock back you get a benefit (My JDM had 8k on her when I bought her - but it was 8k kilometers, not miles, so the 8k on the clock equates to 5k in real miles)

If it's an import it's not the bottom spec as it's got all the buttons on the steering wheel for cruise and stereo controls (Base spec JDM doesn't have this)

If it's an import they've changed both the front and rear bumpers as imports normally have square / rectangular number plates

If it's an import it's not the bottom spec as it's got all the buttons on the steering wheel for cruise and stereo controls (Base spec JDM doesn't have this)

It also looks like the markings on the steering wheel are in English as is the Owners Roadside assistance and service manual. Looks like a U.K GT to me, if it's an import then it could be from The Republic of Ireland :shrug: .

Pete

ok guys thanks very much for the warm welcome and sound advice. i spoke to the guy alot more and about 6 people have looked at it and walked away t. i did generally want a UK car not for any real reason apart from the insurance is cheaper and being 20 years old its alot cheaper.

In the end i decided not to go look as i didn't want a import trying not to rush into things buying one. In my eyes the longer i wait the cheaper it will be to insure so i am just going to wait for the perfect one that meets my criteria to come up for sale.

Thanks for such a nice welcome and very informative answers look forward to getting my first 350z and joining in with the forum more!

It also looks like the markings on the steering wheel are in English as is the Owners Roadside assistance and service manual. Looks like a U.K GT to me, if it's an import then it could be from The Republic of Ireland :shrug: .

Pete

Actually thats very true, i haven't rang the guy to say ive decided not to look but thinking if its been imported from irelands puts my hopes up a bit.

Not sure how you would find out if it has been

Some more about this car. It was first registered on 20/11/2003 but it didn't go on to the DVLA's database until 24/05/2005. I'm pretty sure this is a UK spec car so there are several possibilities. It could have come from Ireland, The Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey or it could have been that the car was bought here then taken abroad and later returned. It's all a bit of a mystery as another database which I've found to be very accurate states that car was first registered in Manchester in 2003 yet the plates would indicate Essex was the place of registration.

Pete

Looks like a nice car to me. UK Spec. It has the Brembos. Its also a GT spec i think as its got the leather, bose & cruise. Also its got the optional extra Alezan orange interior which would have cost another load of cash on top of the GT pack. Its got the Rays alloys which again were another expensive option and if thats metallic paint, that too would have been another option on top. Mileage looks good, its the right colour, good spec level. Sure, if its a 2003 one, its an early car. But I dont think the price is too bad. Id expect around the £6k mark.

If its not for you, its not for you, its a buyers market, so keep searching.

That looks like a pretty good price to be fair and It doesnt look like a JDM car either, I'm not 100% but they didnt have cruise control I dont think..... it might have been imported from another market...

regarding the mileage on JDM cars, a lot of people dont figure that some of it will be in kilometers and the rest will be in miles if it had a converter fitted at import which most do, hopefully the mileage will be logged when it arrived here so you can calculate it.. although again on a car this age condition should probably be the key and will give a good indication as to how many miles it has done.... its also a gamble that it wasnt clocked when it came to the uk but thats no different to any car already here really, especially before the MOT's went computerised.

Many people shy away from imports which I never really understand, they are usually cheaper (I paid £6000 for a 2004 import with 35000 miles on the clock 2 years ago nearly) the insurance is no more expensive these days if you shop around (I currently pay a little over £450 a year) and they are often in much better condition than uk cars if imported in later years., this is certainly the case between my 2004 JDM and my brothers 2004 UK car.