If you have a black car you need this kit! (Thanks to Tim @ Envy!)

Greddy-Matt

Hi Guys

Had some amazing results with some new kit Tim @ Envy recommended for me so thought I'd share, I bought an 05 Impreza STI with mica black paint recently which is great, what was not so great was the horrific state of the paintwork one i got it home and cleaned it.

It had the works, heavy swirl marks, holograms, scratches, scrapes, marks from other peoples door protectors and a lovely long key mark down one side, have a look at the pics to say I was upset was an understatement:

20121210_120950.jpg

20121210_120906.jpg

20121210_120846.jpg

20121210_120817.jpg

This close up one shows the condition most of the panels were in:

20121210_120808.jpg

At this point I was seriously thinking about how much a re-spray would set me back, but thought I'd contact Tim @ Envy and see what he thought, after running a sun light over the paint and measuring the paint thickness he recommended me a DoDo DA polisher and the fairly new Meguires Microfibre paint correction kit.

All I can say is, if you have paint defects, you need this kit! It consists of a backing plate, microfibre cutting pad and microfibre finishing pad, the cutting compound and a finishing compound (the pads are colour coded too so you cant mix them up which is handy).

It took two days to do from start to finish, that's cleaning the with car Autoglym shampoo, bug / tar remover, claying, and paint correction.

The kit was a dream to use as I've never even picked up a DA before let alone used one on scabby black metalic paint!

It has removed not only 99% of the swirl marks but around 95% all of the scratches and scrapes too, as a begginer I cannot recommend this product enough! I did the whole car twice (my paint was pretty shocking) as used no pressure at all on the DA I just used the weight of the machine (I wimped out on using any pressure) on the first go, and applied a little more as per the instructions in the kit the second time. You would have to be a complete chump to damage your paint with this kit.....

This is what the paint looked like after correcting but BEFORE I applied any wax or sealer etc I had a pot of supernatural hybrid to go on but wanted to show the results before waxing.

IMG_1201.jpg

STilip-1.jpg

20121213_083146.jpg

20121213_083115.jpg

20121213_083102.jpg

Remember all the hideous scratches down the passenger door: :teeth:

20121213_083029.jpg

Bodywork is like glass, and now I have the supernatural wax on it looks even better!

So if you have a Kuro, or Azure and want rid of any imperfections, I would seriously think about getting one of these kits.

As a side note, massive thanks to Tim @ Envy for advising me on what to use, and for taking time out to check my paint for me out of hours, this is why forum traders are great, you just don't get that sort of service from an ebay shop etc, left to my own devices the products I would have bought would have been fairly pointless.

I know it's not a Z but thought some may find it usefull!

:thumbs:

That microfiber kit is about the one thing that actually works.

A few of us on here bought one last summer and it really does get rid of swirls and scratches.

I would be surprised if it gets rid of the key line but it will certainly flat it down a bit!

You have done a great job.

Did you wipe over with an IPA solution after polishing to remove any oils before inspecting the finish was free of swirls or did you go straight to wax?

Hi

residue was buffed off with a microfibre cloth and cleaned with meguires quick detailer, not sure what IPA is (other than the ale)...

IPA is an alcohol. It is used to remove the oils of a polish that would otherwise hide the swirls and light scratches. You need to do this after buffing off to be certain that you have cut through the swirls. I'm sure it's probably fine and you will know either way when the wax wears off.

Wow what a difference! It's so easy to get marks like that on a black car, most the time not even your fault! - supermarket car parks... so excellent to see someone that has had a go with this setup and posted the results. :D

Top job & nice work! :)

• Like 1