Non fault clain incresing insurance

cs2000

Hey all,

Been looking about at quotes for the Zed when my renewal comes. My quotes seem to be around £811 from elephant, not too bad for someone of my age.

I forgot to include my non fault accident half way through last year so i went onto confused.com and added this and the quote went up by £110.

Should Non fault claims really increse my premium. I was injured and received £1300 as a result and the car needed £900 of repairs but the other parties insurance paid for this as she smashed into the rear of my car.

I know i have to declare it (despite my mum telling me not too...) but if i phone them up and do a quote is there any chance i can get them to not charge me for it as it seems unfair that im having to pay for something that wasnt my fault.

I have tried Adrian flux who are in the process of finding me quotes and have also tried Sky insurance but their initial quote was £2300 so i decided not to persue that avenue.

Really just wondered what other peoples experiences are of getting non fault accidents declared on insurance but not chargable.

Statistically if you're had a non-fault claim, you're more likely to claim, hence they're justified in adding to the premium. If you're not happy with that, then there are other insurers to use who don't do that, however they may be more expensive in the first place. Swings and roundabouts really.

Use some of that £1300 to put towards it :wink:

Call them, tell them everything including the claim (you're quite right to tell them, ignore your mum), then haggle the price down. Tell them you've been offered it elsewhere for £800 and see if they'll match it. I bet they do.

• Like 1

You must be fairly 'high risk' to be paying close to a grand so any little thing is gonna push it up :surrender:

I had a no fault claim and my insurance went down :shrug:

I must be high risk as well then :blush:

As Ekona said, its all down to statistics. If you have had one claim (even if its non fault) then your now a higher risk as you are likely to have more claims. Therefore, insurance will be increased. Thats why they always ask if you have had any non fault claims or accidents.

Makes sense i guess, just seems a little unfair but id rather be covered than not for the sake of £100 differnce. I will however take out the policy over the phone to haggle down the price if i can at all.

As i say my standard price was £811, im only 24 so i guess i would come as a higher risk than another more low powered car. The place where i park the car overnight is the lowest risk catagory so im pretty sure its my age.

• Like 1

insurers share records these days, i would recommend declaring any prang as things get flagged up. i forgot to mention the no claims fault my wife had a few years back when renewing a couple of years ago, and towards the end the mentioned it. which was good as it reminded me to put it on. but it goes to show they share the info.

Statistically if you're had a non-fault claim, you're more likely to claim, hence they're justified in adding to the premium.

years ago after being driven into while stationary at a roundabout i was told the very same thing when i came to renew... statistics! they can be made to say anything they want

statistically the next person you see will have more than the average number of arms..... (think about it)

Admiral/ bell/ elephant charge least for parking on street rather than driveway or garage. So park it on the street if you can.

Also, adding experienced named drivers can help lower the cost if you haven't already, that brings mine down a few hundred pounds a year.

I have my mum on as a secondary named driver so this has helped.

Really, thay charge less for parking it on the road! i can do that but i have a private car park thats shared between our flats, i thought asside from a garage that would be the best option. Weird.

Try changing the parking and see how it affects things, I'm not sure about how a car park changes things as I didn't check as I don't have any access to one. That's as long as you are happy to park it on street rather than in the car park of course!

Adding another named driver should help even further, by adding a second driver it decreased the premium by the same amount again that the first did for me.

I'd rather pay another £50 and have the car in a garage than save that and have to park it on the street.

Ah, but statistically its more likely to get nicked in the garage, so depends on how much you want to keep your car!

I added my 80 year old gran to my 350z policy and that reduced it no end. Amazingly insurance companies think an old pensioner is a safer person driving a 309bhp RWD sports car then a 39 year old bloke with a lifetime of fast car / motorbike experience.

Just had a nice chat with Adtrian Flux who (from their 2k quote on the web) managed to get me down to ~800 on the phone, the bloke was very helpful. :thumbs:

Il be going with them when i renew ;)

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 2

Just had a nice chat with Adtrian Flux who (from their 2k quote on the web) managed to get me down to ~800 on the phone, the bloke was very helpful. :thumbs:

Il be going with them when i renew ;)

Good to hear - let's hope that good news continues :snack:

• 5 months later...

Statistically if you're had a non-fault claim, you're more likely to claim, hence they're justified in adding to the premium. If you're not happy with that, then there are other insurers to use who don't do that, however they may be more expensive in the first place. Swings and roundabouts really.

couldn't of said it better myself!

As Ekona said, its all down to statistics. If you have had one claim (even if its non fault) then your now a higher risk as you are likely to have more claims. Therefore, insurance will be increased. Thats why they always ask if you have had any non fault claims or accidents.

As Mark Twain has attributed Benjamin Disraeli to have said, "There are lies, damned lies and statistics". You can generally push an argument in any direction that you want by massaging the way in which statistics are applied. Sigh! I would tend to think that any insurer that uses statistics to justify loading the premium for no fault claims that have been fully recovered is also going to be more problematic to deal with in the event of any claim so best avoided.

I agree it is unfair that non-fault claim increases you insurance premium, but I can understand why insurers do it.

Just becuase an accident isn't your fault doesn't mean you couldn't have done something to avoid it. I've lost count of the amount of times I could have accident, which wouldn't have been my fault, but because I tend to drive quite defensively I have avoided it. If you have an accident, even a non-fault acident, then statistically you are probably more likely to have an accident in future.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's why your premium goes up.

^^

just to be the devils advocate

I had a no fault claim - my car was parked (no-one in it) on the side of the road and a neighbour ran into the front - how then could I have done something to avoid it - it's the other parties fault - they paid, end of

^^

just to be the devils advocate

I had a no fault claim - my car was parked (no-one in it) on the side of the road and a neighbour ran into the front - how then could I have done something to avoid it - it's the other parties fault - they paid, end of

My dad had the same, he had someone chasing him for a whiplash claim and when he did a quote with admiral it was £100 more expensive because of the non-fault claim.