Changed spark plugs but something not right.

RobPhoboS

I reset the ECU earlier with the pedal dance BUT after coming back from a 15 min trip, I noticed that the CEL light has come back on.

The car feels fine but I wonder if it's got anything to do with my car being decatted ? (I only mention this as Jez said it may come on after they did some work for me - although he said that would happen a few mins down the road)

If the CEL came back on it will give you a code via a series of flashes. Find the code and it'll tell what's wrong, as you suggested might be the decats.

Oil on threads isnt anything to worry about imho. The plugs are very worn thou typical 350Z.

Oil on threads as seen on pics is fine. But for reference when I did my plugs, one plug came out dripping with oil. This was due to a broken coil pack head (it was able to twist). It was still driveable like this with no detriment to performance, but knowing it was there made me just pop a new coil pack on (£30 off amazon).

Glad you got your problem solved in the end :teeth:

If the CEL came back on it will give you a code via a series of flashes. Find the code and it'll tell what's wrong, as you suggested might be the decats.

I took a quick video, I'll upload it when I get to work.

I also bought a diagnostic tool from Amazon that should be here tomorrow (although I've no idea where it hooks up to the car yet :lol:).

Can you post the picture that Mark@Abbey sent you, just to help anyone else out in the future if you think it's useful?

It's on post #18 :)

Basically I knew that I had the cables for 4,6 the wrong way around after seeing that photo, as when you look at it, it would seem the end one would go to 6 but it's actually for 4.

Hey guys,

I've uploaded the video here - if you can't download it for some reason, please let me know:

(I promise it's not dodgy :wink: )

http://www.wetransfe...15102854/d63b63

Many thanks again Mark, if the video above doesn't quite work out, I'll hopefully have a code from the diagnostic tool when it arrives.

At least I'm learning, when I first popped the bonnet open I was terrified by what I saw (coming from an MR2) but now after getting a little 'hands on' I'm embracing it, if at a retarded pace :blush:

Which MR2? Ex-mk3 owner here :)

It was a mk2, rev 3. Gone to Belgium to a serious Toyota enthusiast. Being kept up-to-date on it's restoration :)

Anyone else get P1147 and P0139?

I've got to find the post to help read the code from the flashes, and I'll see what I can see as well.

I'm not sure the clip is long enough?

It was a mk2, rev 3. Gone to Belgium to a serious Toyota enthusiast. Being kept up-to-date on it's restoration :)

Could be made into a thread on here that members would find interesting. :wink:

We all love a build thread, even if it is one of Andy and Chris`Is push bike ones. :lol:

Awesome little device http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

Cleared the errors, no problems now :thumbs:

Glad your slowly getting sorted. At that price I'd say we could possibly see a lot of people on here buying one.

If you get time, you might consider doing a little test and write up on it and chuck it in the guides section. :wink:

Could prove to be very help full for our other members. :)

Hmmm does it work with the 70? just in case. :blush:

Awesome little device http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

Cleared the errors, no problems now :thumbs:

Glad your slowly getting sorted. At that price I'd say we could possibly see a lot of people on here buying one.

If you get time, you might consider doing a little test and write up on it and chuck it in the guides section. :wink:

Could prove to be very help full for our other members. :)

Hmmm does it work with the 70? just in case. :blush:

Product info says

Features: Works with all 1996 and newer cars & trucks that are OBD II compliant(including CAN protocol) Reads and clears generic and manufacturer specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and turns off check engine light Supports multiple trouble code requests: generic codes, pending codes and manufacturer's specific codes 1.Retrieves VIN (Vehicle Identification No.) on 2002 and newer vehicles that support Mode 9 2.Highly reliable and accurate 3.Easy-to-read crystal-clear backlit 2-line LCD display 4.Easy to use with one plug-in 5.Stand-alone unit with no need for an additional laptop computer to operate 6.Small in size and conveniently fits in your palm Performs continuous DTC scan 7.Safely communicates with the on-board computer 8.No batteries needed-powered via detachable OBD II cable. Vehicles Listings: This scanner is the one that covers ALL the protocols on OBD2! Including the new CAN standard Legislation was passed in Europe and in the USA so that vehicles had to be supplied conforming to the OBD2/EOBD standard. As follows- Petrol cars in Europe made for sale on or after January 2001 Diesel Cars in Europe made for sale 2004 onwards Petrol cars in the USA made for sale 1996 onwards Please check and confirm your vehicle is OBD2 Compliant, before buying this scanner.

If it works for the 350's then no rerason why it should not work on the 370's?