New clutch? Advice needed!

TheMacDaddy

Hi all

My 370Z is in with the dealers for a problem with what is most likely the release bearing on the clutch and I just spoke to them for an update.

They said that it's all stripped down and they're waiting on a call-back on a high-tech call to Nissan to confirm the best way to proceed, but the guy said that while it was in bits he was going to quote me for a new clutch. It's done 37k miles and he said that I might want to have the clutch changed while it was stripped down to save on the labour.

Firstly, does this sound right? Secondly, is it worth doing? And if I'm going down that route, and assuming that the clutch isn't covered by the warranty work, is it worth replacing with OEM or an alternative? And while we're at it, what about the flywheel?

Sorry for all the questions - your expertise is needed!

Matt

Well let me put it this way... it seems that this is a common fault with the 370z. I heard a strange knocking noise from my clutch after I drove it for a while, so I stopped and listened to it and why I put my foot on the clutch it went away. So I took it back to nissan and told them about the problem. To cut a long story short, I now have a full new clutch system completely on warranty.

My zed only had 13k on the clock at this time..... but I just kept putting it back on them. My car now drives the way it should. Just be hard with them and dont take any of there typical sales b/s.

Update on this, just spoken to Marshalls. The spigot shaft bearing has disintegrated and damaged the flywheel, so they're going to replace both of those on warranty. Photos going in to Nissan now to authorise the repair.

Just quoted me £903 for a new clutch if I wanted one. Ouch. Perhaps not.

I would say ask for a good will job on the clutch your getting it fitted for free as the spigot bush breaking up is warrantied( sounded like a clutch release bearing to me thou)

We could supply a uprated clutch for half price ( but we don't have stock I am afraid) but ask them to do it free or at least at the clutch @ cost , the mileage you have done is about right for a new clutch thou on a 370Z.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Right, sorted. Car was with Marshalls for three weeks and in the end needed: new spigot bearing, new flywheel, new clutch slave cylinder and pipe.

Luckily all done under warranty, plus the new clutch install for free supplied by Alex.

Just got her back, drives like a dream. Clutch and gear change massively improved. :)

Update on this, just spoken to Marshalls. The spigot shaft bearing has disintegrated and damaged the flywheel, so they're going to replace both of those on warranty. Photos going in to Nissan now to authorise the repair.

Just quoted me £903 for a new clutch if I wanted one. Ouch. Perhaps not.

Clutches are a pain in the butt but glad you got it sorted:)

Edited by 4RE Leather

• 1 year later...

I would say ask for a good will job on the clutch your getting it fitted for free as the spigot bush breaking up is warrantied( sounded like a clutch release bearing to me thou)

We could supply a uprated clutch for half price ( but we don't have stock I am afraid) but ask them to do it free or at least at the clutch @ cost , the mileage you have done is about right for a new clutch thou on a 370Z.

Mark