Inevitable, going the FI way -= NOW DONE -= update 13/05/2013

Adrian@TORQEN

Nice read this. Would love to take the FI plunge some day.

Keyser have you uploaded any videos anywhere?

Dyno run on here

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/52481-project-zee-business-target-achieved-26th-oct/page__st__1300

post 1320

Some track runs on youtube before the new engine was put in will get some more track day vids this year hopefully :thumbs:

• Like 1

Nice read this. Would love to take the FI plunge some day.

Keyser have you uploaded any videos anywhere?

Dyno run on here

http://www.350z-uk.c.../page__st__1300

post 1320

Some track runs on youtube before the new engine was put in will get some more track day vids this year hopefully :thumbs:

Post link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/52481-project-zee-business-target-achieved-26th-oct/page__st__1300#entry927714

Direct video:

http://s1189.beta.photobucket.com/user/Keyser68/media/SCRebuild3/VIDEO0184.mp4.html

:teeth:

• Like 1

Keyser, what are the advantages of using the Haltech Platinum Pro ECU over the UpRev and OEM ECU?

Did you get the tuning done at AME?

Is AEM water/meth injector a must, would you say?

I run the Haltech for 1 main reason - NOS but I also have an UpRev (downside of a piggyback ECU) the problem on my build and UpRev is multimap that can change on the fly -

Bit more detail -

When my NOS fires the NOS control unit sends a signal to the Haltech to say it's fired the Haltech changes to a different map with more ignition retard and a richer mix.

On UpRev you would run with an always retarded map.

If the water meth fails you can also use the boost safe output from the water/meth controler to signal the Haltech ECU which can then implement a fuel or ignition cut to stop the engine melting :scare: -

I don't use this at the moment as I run water only injection - more HP with meth but if I map for meth I can't run without she will be to hot - I may put a bigger tank in and add meth next year.

For an SC build on stock internals I would say UpRev is the way ahead for a more complicated build then an alternate ECU can be justified.

However if I was starting again now I would not use the Haltech piggyback - I would at least use the Haltech replacement ECU (not available when I started the rebuild) but from my current research and having chatted with both Mark @ Abbey and Jez @ Horsham and having the pleasure of a demo of the awesome traction control in Mark's 350z I would say Syvecs is the way to go, it will do all the bells and whistles will interface to the CAN so you can keep your dash gauges etc has the already mentioned traction control and multimaps from a switch so I for example could have a with meth and without meth map. The S6 wasn't out when I started but I am considering it as a future upgrade!

To answer your question -

Yes my engine was built and mapped by AEM.

Water Meth -

Do "I" consider it essential - yes BUT that's because I have a built engine with hi-comp pistons and a skimmed head alongside the SC when you compress air it gets hot - very hot if you are then stupid enough to put high comp pistons into your engine :blush: and skim the head (again increasing compression) the air gets so hot it can ignite the fuel before the plug sparks - detonation !!!!! Mine dets at 3,500 RPM under heavy load without the water, meth would further reduce the inlet heat.

I went a different route, TT builds mainly and sometimes SC builds will usually reduce the compression ratio when using a built engine, so high boost low compression, as I am using an SC which won't produce the pressure of a turbo without running the jack shaft at destruction speeds! I decided on low boost high compression the trade of is heat solved by water/meth injection.

What this means to you is no you do not need it tou will be fine with an FMIC and I'm not aware of anyone else apart from Tony420 (850+ WHP without the NOS TT 350z :scare: awesome!! where are you Tony? ) who uses it!

I would also give a +1 to what Wizard has said and offer the same words of caution -

I started acquiring parts long before they were needed causing two issues

1. When you get delays something better is out before you need it (ECU for example)

2. If/When plans change you end up with a part you have no use for.

You can also end up upgrading things for the sake of it the 350z Brembo brakes with the addition of some decent pads are very capable, you can upgrade the disks to get even more out of them so you don't "Need" to stick a BBK on - this doesn't mean the BBK is either useless or not worth the money it just means the only time I get any advantage (other than bragging rights :lol: ) is on track - yours I believe is not being built for track.

All I'm saying is (like Wizard) be careful, little steps build her up slowly see how each bit goes and add more as required/when funds allow - this is not an invitation for some tool to throw a TT into a JDM and blame me when it won't stop!!!!!

Always take my advice with a pinch of salt it is my opinion and all joking aside I don't know everything about a 350 I have been assisted by the forum and got a lot of help and info from Mark, Jez, Dan, R35Lee, ZmanAlex and many others. This is my understanding of the way it works and I may be misinformed (I hope not though :thumbs:)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some progress

Finalised the shopping list from USA and decided to go for the following mods to support the SC-ing:

1. Vortech Stainless Steel Oil Feed Nozzle and Crush Washer

2. Vortech Filter for Maxflow Mini Race By-pass Valve

3. HKS super fire racing plugs ( heat range 8) set of 6 for 350z DE

4. UpRev GT MAF Sensor

5. Torque Solution Billet Aluminum Transmission Mount 350Z

6. Injector Dynamics 725cc injectors with pigtails - Matched set of 6

7. Aeromotive Stealth 340lph In Tank Fuel Pump with Setup Kit

8. Fuel tank o ring (if not included in fuel return kit)

9. CJM stage 0 fuel return kit

10. AAM Oil pan spacer with ports - 350Z DE

11. Stillen Setrab 19 row oil cooler kit

12. Apexi power intake kit. Universal filter and flange (diameter = 85mm)

13. Z1 motorsports RED silicon couplers replacement for blue Vortech couplers

14. Vortech Original Intercooler

15. Clamps

First lot from 1 to 9 has already arrived this week, yeeey!

Save_for_Web_%28100_%29-20130209-101537.jpg

IMG_3607.JPG_%40_25__%28RGB_8%29-20130209-100913.jpg

Some more bling arrived as well, the Weapon-R Ti torque damper:

959-111-410.jpg_1%2C500%C3%97996_pixels-20130209-101759.jpg

The second part of the list arriving sometime next week! :yahoo:

I take this opportunity to thank GT4Zed member on here for talking to the suppliers in the US, organising deliveries and giving me a gazzilion tones of information about engines, supercharging, etc, etc.

After tens of hours of chatting over the telephone it felt a bit like Neo from Matrix: I KNOW KUNG FU!

:lol:

Thanks again, Bennett!

Edited by octet

Nothing related to Valentine's Day :lol: got the MotorDyne ART pipes as well to replace the Berk HFC which will soon be in the For Sale section, hopefully this weekend, together with the ARC super induction box, Berk Polished Intake tube and other bits :)

So the exhaust setup will be: MotorDyne ART Pipes + MotorDyne XYZ pipe + Amuse R1Titanium Exhaust ==> TUNNEL? WHERE? WHERE? :yahoo::drive1

Is it Wales 2013 yet? :lol:

iPhoto-20130214-183553.jpg

Edited by octet

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/product_info.php?products_id=121

Through countless hours of research and development a new path has been explored in the never ending quest for performance. A method of directly altering exhaust harmonics for enhanced performance and sound, this is Motordyne's debut of the Patent Pending Advanced Resonance TuningTM. 15 to 20 Ftlbs more low end torque than conventional test pipes. ART pipes increase power and torque without the drastic increase in loudness normally associated with test pipes. These provide the quietest, smoothest, deepest sound while greatly reducing or eliminating rasp and drone. The difference in sound is not subtle. They're not conventional test pipes. They're ART pipes!

Nothing related to Valentine's Day :lol: got the MotorDyne ART pipes as well to replace the Berk HFC which will soon be in the For Sale section, hopefully this weekend, together with the ARC super induction box, Berk Polished Intake tube and other bits :)

So the exhaust setup will be: MotorDyne ART Pipes + MotorDyne XYZ pipe + Amuse R1Titanium Exhaust ==> TUNNEL? WHERE? WHERE? :yahoo::drive1

Is it Wales 2013 yet? :lol:

iPhoto-20130214-183553.jpg

Very nice Adrian :)