European Tour 2013 – The options and preliminary costs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to but that's alot of money for a trip! Would rather spend it on the car itself.

If you've not done a Euro trip in the Zed then I suggest thinking about it at least. They are truly epic and some of my best holidays.

I'm in the process of pricing up hotels, and to be fair we may camp some of the nights as it creates a nice ambiance in the evening as you cook and drink whilst chatting to other travellers.

I've done over 5,000 miles in the Zed through Europe and have to say the experience is nothing like your normal holiday.

I think I've found a wicked place to stay in Stelvio in the mountains views to die for.

I'll spend the next couple of weeks trying to get the prices down.

Nice work planning all this out, good job. Looks expensive and takes quite a few days out of the holiday allocation ut i bet it would be epic. Will have to giveit some serious thought and be in touch, sorely tempted.

Don't let me down now Will :thumbdown:

I have your ticket already booked.

I've already made some hotel saving costs as I've actually over estimated, for instance some hotels are £45 a night, which is fairly good.

I'm thinking the Transfagarassan Highway could be out of reach, but via trip 2 I've got the total trip down to £2,492 - the main juice of the cost is fuel and food. Also don't forget these prices are for 2 people. If it was a single rider the food costs could be halved.

I'll report back and try and get these costs down.

Well I can now get Trip 3 under 2k, with the hotels I've found. This would also reduce the trip down by 1 day.

To also note all trips include 4 nights in Hungary, which can be removed for those who don't want to go that far and to maybe head elsewhere whilst I go and see my dad.

If you can live off Pot Noodles for a week I can reduce the price right down. :lol:

Would love to but that's alot of money for a trip! Would rather spend it on the car itself.

The car is made for driving, not looking at. Driving holidays aren't cheap, but if that's your passion then ultimately there's nothing more rewarding than a really long trip. :)

• 5 months later...

Holly thread revival after a chat with Wasso about routes in Romania.

Transalpina

The Transalpina or DN67C located in the Parâng Mountains group, in the Southern Carpathians of Romania, is one of the roads of the Carpathian Mountains. It connects Novaci, south of Parâng Mountains, to Sebeş in the north.

It is said that the road was built under King Carol II and rebuilt during World War II by German troops and it is called The King's Road by the locals. Also a story has it that Nicolae Ceauşescu had the Transfăgărăşan Road (DN7C) built during the communist regime just to surpass the Transalpina.

The road has its highest point at the Urdele Pass, where the elevation is 2,145m above sea level. Given the high altitude, the road is closed during the cold months of the year. Works began in 2007 in order to transform this spectacular road into a modern highway (148 km), allowing a rapid transit between Oltenia and Transylvania.

Rânca, a newly developed resort, is located towards the south end of the Transalpina road.

2013-06-05_20-29-43.jpeg

2013-06-05_20-30-30.jpeg

2013-06-05_20-31-22.jpeg

2013-06-05_20-32-09.jpeg

2013-06-05_20-35-10.jpeg

2013-06-05_20-37-32.jpeg

2013-06-05_20-38-39.jpeg

2013-06-05_20-41-43.jpeg

2013-06-05_20-42-54.jpeg

Edited by octet

That I would really love to drive. :)

Preferably without traffic, so could have some real fun !!!!

I am always interested in Road Trips of up to a week and not too expensive.

Personally on these types of trips, I have found about 4 hours a day to be about right for driving time, so can still see sights and enjoy where you have driven to and are not just knackered.

1 week...4 hours per day. soooo 14 hours away is your goal. Pick somewhere 14 hours away Wendy! Organise!!

That would get you around 1,200 miles to Hungary as that takes technically 2 days as I've done it a couple of times now.

Cheers for the post Adrian, 2013 is out the question but for sure next year for my 40th.

2. Transfăgărășan

The Transfăgărășan (trans (over, across) + Făgăraș) or DN7C is the second-highest paved road in Romania. Built as a strategic military route, the 90 km of twists and turns run north to south across the tallest sections of the Southern Carpathians, between the highest peak in the country, Moldoveanu, and the second highest, Negoiu. The road connects the historic regions of Transylvania and Wallachia, and the cities of Sibiu and Pitești.

The road was constructed between 1970 and 1974, during the rule of Nicolae Ceaușescu. It came as a response to the 1968 invasion of Czechoslovakia by the Soviet Union. Ceaușescu wanted to ensure quick military access across the mountains in the event the Soviets attempted a similar move into Romania. Consequently, the road was built mainly with military forces, at a high cost both financially and from a human standpoint—roughly 6 million kilograms of dynamite were used on the northern face, and the official records mention that about 40 soldiers lost their lives in building accidents.

2013-06-05_21-00-39.jpeg

2013-06-05_21-01-33.jpeg

2013-06-05_21-02-07.jpeg

2013-06-05_21-03-28.jpeg

2013-06-05_21-04-16.jpeg

2013-06-05_21-05-28.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Nope, afraid not. I therefore made hard plans costings together and a month in which to do this for 2014 over 3 weeks. But since my father has fallen ill and so that's cancelled for 2014, so it's now postponed.