VW Golf GT 2.0 TDI 140 or 170 with DPF

Beavis

I am considering a second hand one for my daily driver, but i am reading lots of meither with the pdf's on these cars if used mainly for local driving and short journeys. Anyone own one or have experience of either of these engines in the Golf or in other cars? For example Audi, Seat?

You mean a dpf? Diesel particle filter

The 170's get clogged up a lot with short journeys/town driving. Not a huge problem, just a design flaw

The revs will then hold out longer to keep the exhaust temp up to burn off the crap in the dpf that's built up

A motorway blast every now and then clears it out. Alternatively, a lot of tuning companies make dpf delete pipes which then requires a remap :thumbs: quite convenient really!

My old 2.0tdi Audi A3 170 kept getting clogged. Just went for 10mile motorway journey once or twice a week to clear it

Edited by smudgedon

DPF's are a nightmare in general, don't think its just VWs, our 307 has had the dpf light flash up for the last 18 months, it'll probably be removed but unfortunately this will make it fail the MOT as decats do. It's the only thing that puts me off getting another diesel as a run around.

All cars with DPF will suffer on short and stop/start journeys. Its because the gas flow and temp isnt held high enough for the carbon to burn off. Usually a light will come up and you need to go for a decent drive at 60-70MPH for it to clear. Be very weary of not doing this when it tells you as blockages will form that cant be cleared and you will kill the DPF.

Saying all that, our Alfa has one and its been fine for the last 18 months, but we do a reasonable amount of higher speed driving. When we got the car the salesman did ask and recommended a small petrol unit if we were doing a lot of town and stop/start driving.

What kind of driving are you doing Dave? If its a lot of stop/start/town driving, you may be better off with a small petrol, especially if petrol prices are like they are down here, its about 10p/litre less for petrol than Diesel!

My Leon PD170 has never had any major DPF problems but then it is a daily driver and gors on dual carriageways etc.

It has only gone into regen twice in 65,000 miles and a quick blast sorted it both times no bother.

Yes there have been problems but unless you only do 5 miles a day and never get over 2k revs then you will be fine, and if you do then why buy a diesel :shrug:

The 170 is VERY powerful, great fun for a derv but not the most economical

The 140 can be tuned up fairly cheaply to 160 and is a fair bit more economical....

The 140 can be tuned up fairly cheaply to 160 and is a fair bit more economical....

What you really want is the 180 (bi-turbo) but you need a van or a Amarok to get that :teeth:

What you really want is the 180 (bi-turbo) but you need a van or a Amarok to get that :teeth:

My 170 remapped is quite enough for me :drive1

until I get the jag

Edited by spursmaddave

What kind of driving are you doing Dave? If its a lot of stop/start/town driving, you may be better off with a small petrol, especially if petrol prices are like they are down here, its about 10p/litre less for petrol than Diesel!

Main daily driver Chris, no stop/start driving for me on my way to work about 5 miles from home at 5.45am on a dual carriageway. Just love the torque and economy you get from a Diesel. :smile:

V6 derv units actually sound very nice indeed.

170 VAG unit in my TT.

Not fast enough but fast

Woeful fuel economy (but ive got 4wd)

unrefined noise out of mine but not sure about others......definitely verging on the 'van' noise side of things.

Would definitely benefit from a remap.

If i get a derv again it will be a v6.

All cars with DPF will suffer on short and stop/start journeys. Its because the gas flow and temp isnt held high enough for the carbon to burn off. Usually a light will come up and you need to go for a decent drive at 60-70MPH for it to clear. Be very weary of not doing this when it tells you as blockages will form that cant be cleared and you will kill the DPF

It's still working but does need replacing, it mainly does shorter journeys (apart from when my boyfriend comes to mine as its a 100 mile round trip) so it doesn't get to burn off much, if you accelerate hard then the light comes on but once you've been going a while it goes off again, but for doing almost 150k miles on the original one she's doing well!

Just been speaking to a friend who has a '06 golf 170tdi he tells me that the majority of mk5 140's did not have dpf's until the mk6 '08 onwards (if true may be the way to go for your short commute)

He's also getting it performance mapped at Xmas for £700 this includes removing the internals of the dpf so from an mot perspective it's still fitted to the car and the map should keep the emissions down and the performance up