Pulling out of a planned meet, show or event

Ebized

Firstly, this post should not be necessary, but sadly some bad manners have crept in.

We have all found that despite best intentions there will be occasions, for all sorts of reasons, we have to drop out.

A lot of hard (unpaid) work will go into the organization by members to make these things happen for others. So when entrants don't turn up that might mean:

1) The event/drive is delayed;

2) If the entry list was full, others who could have made it have lost out;

3) There is concern by those who have arrived something untoward might happened to the member on the way to the event.

So if you find yourself in the situation you are not going to get to the event please let the organizers, or someone else who you know is attending, that you can't make it - we all have mobiles these days and it only takes a call/text/pm/thread post.

Yes, there will be occasions when making contact beforehand it is just not possible. But it would be good to hear afterwards that the member is OK and an apology was offered for their absence.

As I said at the start, I'm sorry for the need for this post but if a member is seen to do this all too often then don't be surprised when their name gets deleted from the entry lists.

• Like 5

The Lakez suffered big time last year with those who just didn't turn up or at the least notify why? The LakeZ is of course different because Martin funds the entire weekend, and without attendees he's then left out of pocket. It wouldn't surprise me if Martin chose not to run the event next year because of it.

A shame because the LakeZ is a good meet, bit like a mini Wales.

The Lakez suffered big time last year with those who just didn't turn up or at the least notify why? The LakeZ is of course different because Martin funds the entire weekend, and without attendees he's then left out of pocket. It wouldn't surprise me if Martin chose not to run the event next year because of it.

A shame because the LakeZ is a good meet, bit like a mini Wales.

Thanks Ian, as ever, if people want it and there are enough numbers I will have another punt. The weather has to be good sometime. :wacko: :wacko:

As per the general point of the post. I agree and whilst appreciating that real like can get in the way sometimes it does help the organisers to react to changing numbers if people give as much notice of non attendance as they can. There is usually a mod online and we can usually get a message across. If you may not be able to make it drop the organiser a pm and get a contact number if you can.

On a more general note there is a lot of time and efforet taken in sorting out these events and the more support they get the better they will become. :)

• Like 1

It might be a good idea to lock this as I know for a fact one member had a seroius personal problem and could not get to the phone.

Whilst I agree 100% with what Colin says, there are on a very rare occasion circumstances that prevent the attendee being able to contact anyone.

Could I therefor ask that this is not turned into a war as I think the point has been made!

• Like 1

I'm sure it's a general post, but I know from personal experience that there was no way I could have informed people about my impending absence until after the event had finished. Just saying ;)

Doesnt always have to be before hand, afterwards (ASAP) is always appreciated by the team/organisers to make sure something hasnt happened. As Colin said...

Yes, there will be occasions when making contact beforehand it is just not possible. But it would be good to hear afterwards that the member is OK and an apology was offered for their absence.

As an someone who has been REO for various care clubs since 2004 then I can totally understand what Colin is saying. I had one occasion whilst RX8 REO when a member who had text me on the morning saying he was on his way, but then failed to show up.

I delayed the meet set off whilst we waited for him, spent half hour checking traffic websites for accidents, all the time tryin to call him without success.

Whilst I agree that circumstances can mean that it's not possible to inform before, or even immediately after, surely it isn't too difficult to post up and apologise.

I finally heard from him 3 days later when he came online to tell us all that he made it 10 mins from his house and realised he had promised to take his mother shopping. He just didn't think to let us know that he wasn't coming anymore.

Colin's post is just a polite reminder to members to avoid situations such as that.