350z rumbling noise at 40-50 mph

370Ad

Hello,

I have a rumbling noise from the left hand side of my car at about 50mph. It's not too loud but seems a bit OTT for just tyre noise.

I have checked the front bearing by moving wheel at the top and bottom. There is a very small amount of movement. Would this cause the noise? No moment on the steering wheel which I thought there would be if it was a front bearing.

Tyres are all the same with level tread of 6mm.

Cheers for any advice.

Adam

Just ordered a front bearing, am I right in thinking if I go round a left hand corner so load the right hand side of the car and the noise stops its definitely the left hand side?

Think that's right, yes. My nearside front got extremely load and rumbling and all wheel wiggling didn't show any movement. It was only when the wheel was turned it rumbled. Was pretty bad in the end as the garage kept saying it was ok for quite a while. Ruined a tyre and the alignment for a while until it ws all fixed.

Even a tiny bit of movement means the bearing is on its way out (or your wheel is loose :teeth: )

Edited by Toon Chris

When you jack the car up (before loosening the nuts/taking the wheel off), turning the wheel should reveal any 'rumbling noise'. Also, hold the wheel top and bottom and see if you can generate any play - you should feel movement and if in any doubt compare with the other front wheel before you start the bearing change.

this post will be no help at all to the OPs problem, but may make some of you laugh at how scary things can be to a non-techy person.

i got a very loud rumbling noise from my rear left wheel when i got to about 50mph. the car was running straight, no change in how it felt, nothing.

i had only had the car a few weeks so was worried i had bought a pup and was in for a big chunk of cash. decided to have a quick look under there after having jacked the car up, and couldn't see anything. no wobble in the wheel, everything seems in line... so what was it?

it was just as i was about to put the car down again i noticed a threaded little bolt hanging down with no nut on it. only then could i see that one of the nuts keeping the the plastic tray in front of the wheel had come off, and the noise was the plastic shaking about.

hence why it only happened at a higher speed.

one wingnut later and it was fixed.

you techy people who know things don't know how much us untechy people worry about things which turn out to be nothing!

Fixed!

The problem was indeed the passengers side front bearing. Very easy to fit if you don't have Eibach spacers which have nuts made of cheese.....

Once these were off its just two 22mm bolts holding on the caliper and four 17mm bolts holding on the hub.

I bought my bearing from Import Car Parts - http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts_info.asp?id=7775&cat=87⊂=120&sec=0&var=0&dc=&gen=&searchKey=

Was only £137 with 24 hour delivery. Genuine NTN Japan Bearing manufacture who make the bearings for Nissan anyway!