How to - weight reduction & fix boot pop-up

Kev T

Hey guys, this is a DIY on how to get a bit more useless weight out of your car.

It can also be used to help fix hatch popping issues

There is a weight in the hatch lid to "help close" the hatch for (I'm assuming) petit women in Japan

Tools needed:

Pry tool

10mm Socket wrench

Step one: Remove the screws that hold the cargo hover to the hatch by lifting the cover:

th_DSCF2102.jpg

th_DSCF2103.jpg

Step two: Remove the 10mm screw

Step three: Repeat on other side

Step four: Use panel tool to pry around the hatch cover closest to you:

th_DSCF2101.jpg

There are 8, equally spaced, orange clips holding the closest edge on:

th_DSCF2098.jpg

Step five: Jam your hand in, you'll see some white clips holding the back in.

There are 5 (five) tabs

th_DSCF2099.jpg

Step seven: Remove the 4 (four) 10mm screws holding this box on the hatch:

th_DSCF2100.jpg

Step eight: Admire this stupid weight icon22.gif and put the panel back on the car.

th_DSCF2104.jpg

th_DSCF2105.jpg

I have weighed this ballast and it is 2.5 lbs, assuming you not completely weedy the hatch still closes easily with slightly more effort but pops open every time with one press of button, even with the fabric hatch cover attached to hooks.

• Like 1

Will be doing this soon. Thanks very much

Suggest you put the removed weight in a pocket Mark - I have visions of you hanging on the lid trying to shut it back down as you are hardly a great lump like the rest of us 370 owners :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea! Just done this, took 15 mins and saves 1.2kg. I've also done a rear wiper delete including removing the wiper motor which takes the weight saving to about 3.5kg + the car looks better without the rear wiper imo. Rear hatch opens perfect and doesn't feel any different to close. Every little helps. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Removing the weight does help, also get rid of the wiper! looks far better as menyioned above, and I`ve had no issues even in the rain (I believe its not even on the US version) also Ive used http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0006TLC2U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00 works a treat, I also use it in the shower door, dont ask... :poppy:

• 1 month later...

Having just done it, I can confirm that this fix also works for the Mk1 Nismo despite the extra weight of the spoiler. :thumbs:

Edit. Few days in and when cold the catch is still sticking now and again. Seems that weight removal has helped but not completely solved the issue.

Edited by sipar69

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...