Driveway suggestions

waltzinblack

Hi guys, I'm looking to sort out my 'carport' for the Zed. It's 25 sq m and currently is just that shitty woodchip stuff that you buy in sacks and spread out. Obviously this stuff is a nightmare when its wet because it's just like mud and makes you filthy before getting in and when getting out of the car! It also lets weeds grow through, and is just horrible.

I'm looking for something solid, not only to be hard wearing and cleaner and to stop weeds, but because there's a small 'lip' where the dropped kerb comes up and then goes back down onto the driveway, and this can catch the car's belly sometimes! (It's only 2 inches or so, the driveway isn't sloped it just sits lower).

So yeah, dig a square hole and pour concrete?? What are you suggestions? Don't feel like forking out £££££ for a proper block paved one as I'm not too fussed about how it looks. But at the same time I don't want a pikey tarmac surface that cracks and breaks up after a few months!

If you want to use the car port for getting under your car etc then concrete is the way to go. If not then why not ditch the wood chips, put a breathable membrane down and then cover with gravel... not the pea type, slightly larger stones.

"Crush and Run concrete" its basically the old concrete, walls etc from old buildings put through a crusher very cheap as a filler and if you compact it with a pate or roller after its rained a few times it is hard as nails. You still want a barrier for weeds (a permeable one).

I did my drive with that then went for a covering of a nice looking gravel as it's not the prettiest thing to look at.

But as the Rev says - if you want to jack a car on it - concrete is the way ahead :thumbs:

Printed Concrete is a death trap when icy, not that it don't look nice,

I've just had india stone flags put down, not to expensive for just the flags, cost goes up when u have driveway lights and dry stone walls.

There about a inch thick so would get rid of the lip.

Thanks for the replies!

Concrete seems like a good way forward, ice doesnt matter really, I'll just be careful as I wont be walking on it everyday, and if its that icy probably wont be taking the Zed out anyway! How expensive, roughly per m2 would laying concrete be? And what is involved?

I did like the idea of just plonking some great big flagstones down so thats still an idea, but without making an expensive foundation, how do you make sure that they will stay roughly level and wont sink under the car's weight?

i used a membrane, then laid a plastic grid and filled with gravel

like this

driveway_grass_reinforcement.jpg

ecopic.jpg

means the gravel doesn;t move around much, the car doens;t sink, and its semi permeable so no need for planning permission. we did it as we knew in our area they block applications for hard standing area. so it had to be semi permeable. can;t jack on it, but works great for washing the car on as water just soaks away. no issues in the ice and snow. and it was pretty cheap to buy, and i laid it myself.