Which Clutch?

Hannahbtw

It is of course possible that the original flywheel has already been changed to a single mass fly :shrug: Tend to agree that if you can't make it slip, no horrid clutch smell and transmission is ok then there should be no need to panic, take your time and get a second opinion :)

Thanks for all your input on this folks!

So the general consensus is either "get a second opinion" or just wait until it does start to go wrong...lol! I can live with waiting I think, seeing as its a small fortune to change it all...it can wait til after Crimbo ;)

Still have the sparks to sort, the exhaust is on its last legs (had to have it welded last week but it really does need replacing) and I have the passenger side electric window issue to deal with too....oh the joys of car ownership! :D

At least when all of that's sorted, the car will be cracking :)

Thanks again guys (and girls!) will just keep an eye on this clutch thingy and hope for the best x x

Thanks for all your input on this folks!

So the general consensus is either "get a second opinion" or just wait until it does start to go wrong...lol! I can live with waiting I think, seeing as its a small fortune to change it all...it can wait til after Crimbo ;)

Still have the sparks to sort, the exhaust is on its last legs (had to have it welded last week but it really does need replacing) and I have the passenger side electric window issue to deal with too....oh the joys of car ownership! :D

At least when all of that's sorted, the car will be cracking :)

Thanks again guys (and girls!) will just keep an eye on this clutch thingy and hope for the best x x

We get a lot of queries about the transmission noise here! I've got a 313 with just over 20k miles on it and they nearly all make some rattly noises to varying degrees. Sometimes it can change just depending on what angle the car is at on a hill or driveway etc.

Number 1 would defo get a second opinion of another owner, if your clutch isn't slipping then it's probably fine. Don't go off any garage telling you it needs changing because the biting point is "quite high" on the pedal either - thats also normal.

Clutch life will be down to the previous owners, if its had a sensible owner with lots of motorway miles there's no reason it couldn't do over 100k, loads of town driving and a lack of mechanical sympathy will see it out as quick as you like.

Where abouts are you based?

Hi AK350Z... I'm in Milton Keynes, Bucks..

Didn't really want to take it in to Nissan here, coz when I took it to them to see about getting the passenger electric window issue looked at they wanted to keep it for 2 days and charge me nearly £400 for a motor (just wanted them to try the re-set thingy really). Suffice to say the electric window is still broken...I'm just putting up with it...lol! :)

Hannah x

Hi AK350Z... I'm in Milton Keynes, Bucks..

Didn't really want to take it in to Nissan here, coz when I took it to them to see about getting the passenger electric window issue looked at they wanted to keep it for 2 days and charge me nearly £400 for a motor (just wanted them to try the re-set thingy really). Suffice to say the electric window is still broken...I'm just putting up with it...lol! :)

Hannah x

Well if you need a trustworthy garage, you could have a trip up to see CS (forum trader) in Leicester....

Most rear wheel drive cars can be a bit chattery and as mentioned I'd be inclined to leave it until it slips. My last car, a S14a 200sx has the exact same noise from the clutch all the time I owned it (7 years) and that was tuned a bit. It's a side effect of the front engine/rwd transmission layout.

• 3 weeks later...

My '05 makes the same chattery/grindy noise from the transmission at idle with my foot off the clutch, it does seem to change depending on whether the car is parked on horizontal or sloped ground. Did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that its common and nothing to worry about. A lot of owners with relatively new cars seemed to get it and I even read of people replacing the clutch and flywheel only for the noise to remain or come back after a short period. I'd say don't lose sleep over it and don't waste the money if your clutch doesn't slip.

Hannah as per other posts - you may find that a previous owner has simply fitted a single mass fly and I'm sure Alex will have told you if its not actually slipping or totally gone leave well alone ;) He'll also provide what you do eventually need at a good price.

I'm down your way over xmas if you want me to have a feel of the clutch (cue the lad's tittering :rolleyes:) give me a shout - you've also got Wasso near you too.

In terms of trustworthy and experienced garages near you you've got ME at Silverstone and Sumo are now based in Daventry :thumbs:

Do not let some shitey garage scare you into changing somehting that doesn't need done!

Vicky :)

I bet you theres nothing wrong with it at all. Both my Zeds have done exactly this. First Zed was an early one and that was very loud, but totally fine. No need to replace unless it's starts making really loud horrible sounds as you engage the clutch or it starts to slip.