Police and Crime Commissioner Elections

ioneabee

For just one year though, so not a great stat really.

True, but if there's to be an election every 4 years and assuming the next election also costs £100 million that's still 750 permanent police jobs :shrug: .

The report in The Telegraph indicates that the £100 million figure is far from the truth, although where they get these figures from is anyone's guess.

Analysis by this newspaper shows that over the four year term of the commissioners, the new regime will cost the public more than half a billion pounds.

That includes the estimated wage bill and allowances for commissioners and designated staff, the cost of the election and general running costs.

That would be the equivalent of £85 for each vote cast if only 18 per cent go to the polls.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this post.

I was in charge of one of the stations. Had 150 people visit in total in a quite nice area. Had 2,200 people on my list.

Lots of people told me that they were going to spoil their post, which is just pointless. If you wish to moan / complain then you need to write in. No-one cares about spoilt posts.

Overall, it was a very easy day, and not much a worse turnout than the last local elections.

spoilt ballots whould have a bigger impact if everyone was made to vote, and all those that didn;t usually vote due to apathy then went and spoilt their ballots. it would send a big message that the voting public have no confidence in the government. i'd rather see someone spoil a ballot than not vote at all.

people lost lives so that we can vote i think its a slap in the face to them all if you sit at home and go meh!

put it this way at the last election i think only 22% of the voting public actually voted. of that % only 35% voted for the ruling party. so theortically we have a party in power voted in by only 8% of the voting public, that too me is not a party that represents the people.

and this is not anti tory as its been this way for years.

the oaustralian vote is compulsory, why the hell isn;t ours?

People need to look into it more. Voters always turn up and ask me who they should vote for! Or they want info from the candidates. I don't have this info and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to tell them.

Yes the info relating to the Police elections was dire (almost none), but there is less of an excuse for local elections. The information is available if people want to search for it. Asking me isn't the answer.

Candidates could and should do more, but it all comes down to money. I don't think that compulsory will help, as people will often vote but they will elect based on who they've always voted for and no other reason. I think that a change in technology is needed to attract people who are used to using the internet. If multi-million pound transactions can take place online, then the elections could. You would hit a much younger audience. Of my 150 people that I saw, I would say 5 were under 30 years old!