Newbie/aspiring Zed owner from Essex

Hi guys, just thought i'd introduce myself as hopefully i'll be a regular visitor to the forum.

My name's Nick and as the title suggests, i'm from Essex (please, no references to TOWIE!) I decided to join the forum as I hope to be a 350z owner in the very near future!? My current toy is an EP3 Civic Type R which has been my pride and joy for many years, as well as my GSXR 750 K4. Being a member of CTRO I know how invaluable forums can be and the help/support of other members is priceless in my opinion and from what i've seen so far by reading many threads on here, it's nice to see that 350z-uk is just as informative and welcoming!

Despite serving me well for many years, i've decided to 'grow up' a wee bit and get something more 'mature'. Now i've reached the ripe old age of 28, i've come to the conclusion that the hot hatch look is no longer my scene. However, I still can't find anything that matches the Jap's for build quality/engineering etc... Having been around the Jap car scene for many years, i've always took a shine to the RWD class, the Nissan's in particular e.g S15’s, Skyline’s, fairladys etc. Although i've decided to grow up (attempt), I still can't quite reside myself to buying a motorway barge or family wagon - speed, looks, sounds and performance are still very much a key factor in my decision making. Plus, somehow in the weird and wonderful world of insurance it will cost half as much to insure a 350 than it does my EP3!?

I plan to out the Civic in the early part of next year and hope to purchase my Zed sometime in March. My mind is pretty much made up on the colour/trim/spec of the Zed I’m after, however I’m struggling to decide whether the differences between the 2004/05/07 models warrants the £200 in tax? I’ve recently had a test drive of a 56 plate manual and was absolutely blown away by every aspect of the car! The misses approves as well so that’s the green light officially given! Anyway, enough of the life story; all being well and going to plan I hope to see you’s guys at some of the meets in 2013!

Good luck with your hunt for a 350z - its certainly an exciting thing to do. I fondly remember when I was looking for mine. I initially was looking at BMW M3`s until I saw a 350z Roadster sitting in the corner of a garage. I immediately changed my mind about the M3 and started looking at 350z`s!

I made my choice harder by deciding I definitely wanted the 313 model and I also wanted a roadster. One look on autotrader came up with just 3 cars within about 80miles or so of my house! One was already sold, one was dark blue in colour and reminded me too much of a grandads fabia in that colour, fortunately the last one was in grey and had every option in the book ticked on it. I drove the 80mile trip to Birmingham the next day and bought it there & then.

The only problem I had was that the dealer knew exactly how rare the 313 Roadsters were (something like 250 of them in the UK) and would not budge a penny on the screen price - no matter how much haggling & walking away I did. So, I bought it there & then for cash and picked it up 5 days later!

I then had the immense hassle of trying to insure the thing. I had mistakenly assumed that with 20 years NCB, clean license and lots of experience of high powered cars & motorbikes it wouldnt be too expensive to insure.... cue quotes of nearly £1200 and some companies refusing to touch me on it. Amazing!!!

Still it was worth it!

Welcome,

Tax for 12 months is £475

I insured my 350 for £1400 with 2 year no cliam 1 at fault accident at the age of 24, now 25 renhewal is about £700

Between the 300 & 313 power diffrence isn't miles diffrent just 313 will cost you couple of grand more

There's pletty of cars out there with low milage, i personally wouldn't but anything that has done over 10,000 miles a year on average.

Proberly pick a ok 350 up for £10500 a good really well looked after 1 £13000.

Good Luck

Cheers for all the welcome messages guys! My ideal 350 would be a standard UK manual Azure Blue with the tan/orange interior in GT spec, ideally with FSH and less than 50k on the clock. Hopefully all within my £10k budget? Possible, hmmm...? The big decider as previously mentioned is whether I save myself £200 a year and get a pre 2006 or swallow the extra and go for the RevUp - after reading a few threads on here regarding the 'three phases' i'm inclined to opt for the 2006> purely for all the refined extras and the additional 20bhp.

At the moment I currently pay £1000ish on insurance for the civic but I put this down to the mods/type of car it is (plus an SP30 I was kindly issued back in 2009!). Thats with 7 years NCB by the way. However, for me and the missus on a Zed (can't remember what year/model I had a quote on) was coming out around the £500 mark! Strange.

Apologies for the small text but I wrote my first post on MS Word then copied it across, possibly why it adjusted the font size? Once again cheers for all the welcome messages peeps, as predicted this forum is already paying off and living up to expectations! :teeth:

That would be great if I could please mate? Wasn't sure how welcome I would be turning up to a Zed meet in the Civic? What's the times/exact location please heff?

Don't worry, you won't be the only one there not in a Zed! :)

Edited by Ekona

:welcome: to the forum

If its an Azure you're after you won't get a 313 - they stopped making Azure then. Not sure if there are any Azure's with Alezan leather - pretty sure we've never seen one on here anyway - but if its really what you want there's nothing to stop you getting one with standard black leather and finding someone with the Alezan that wants to swap seats, gatoe and gear stick :shrug:

I think most folks unless they want to modify would go for a 313 though - you could always go for the Midnight blue ;)

That would be great if I could please mate? Wasn't sure how welcome I would be turning up to a Zed meet in the Civic? What's the times/exact location please heff?

Don't worry, you won't be the only one there not in a Zed! :)

Haha good stuff! I'm not chavvy in anyway so won't be trying to prove anything in the civic, especially now I know what the Zeds are capable of!

:welcome: to the forum

If its an Azure you're after you won't get a 313 - they stopped making Azure then. Not sure if there are any Azure's with Alezan leather - pretty sure we've never seen one on here anyway - but if its really what you want there's nothing to stop you getting one with standard black leather and finding someone with the Alezan that wants to swap seats, gatoe and gear stick :shrug:

I think most folks unless they want to modify would go for a 313 though - you could always go for the Midnight blue ;)

Thanks for the info mate, I could've been chasing my tail looking for something that doesn't exist?! Good idea on the trim change, I'm not totally against the black interior I just think the Alezan and Azure go nice. I do like all the colours that the 350's come in but the two which attract me the most is Azure and Solar Orange, although I know Solar was only available from 2007 onwards. Plus the missus prefers the Azure ;)

Regarding mods, I don't think I'll be fettling with the performance, however I would like to bolt on some Nismo exterior bits - V2 spoiler, skirts, lip and fins. Possibly some Rota GTR's too. Out of interest, is there a market for second hand Rays?