Low Speed Brake Squeal

Johnny A

I agree - that's shockingly bad service and you shouldn't accept it :boxing:

I haven't - I have contacted Nissan and they have opened a case and promised to get back back to me today.

But strangely it hasn't squeaked at all since picking ti up from the garage. Now that is suspicious - it appears after the service, squeals every day, then after taking it back in and they "do nothing", it stops completely.

Very suspicious..

All that is required to stop any brake squeal on any make and model is Copper slip grease.

Remove pads inspect clean apply copper slip to the metal back plate. Just apply a thin layer.

Refit.

If shims are used that are removable place a thin layer both sides of shim before refitting.

Ensure brake disc's are cleaned with a brake cleaning solvent.

Tip for preventing squeal is when you check you tyre pressures give each calliper a blast of air.

I check my pressures about every 4-6 weeks and blast calipers.

Just remember brake dust is dangerous if you inhale it.

• 2 months later...

Seems I'm not alone with this problem thankfully.

Mine had its 1st service a couple of months back at 4500 miles and alongside I done front and rear brake services coz the fronts had started to squeal at low speed. Done a proper clean up and lube in all the right places and it seemed ok for a while but has since returned. I'm going to have them apart again soon and have another look. My suspiscion is that the anti rattle spring is causing a resonance / squeal. So I'm going to apply lube to all the contact areas of the anti rattle spring and hope that this is the cure otherwise it looks like a pad compound issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Johnny A, or anybody else who has had this problem, did you have any joy with Nissan or the dealers ? I have the same problem my car. It has 2500 miles on the clock and I find it annoying and embarassing when driving in slow traffic in town. Iam wondering whether or not to contact the dealers and ask them to have a look at it :lol:

• 3 months later...

Ok got an update on this. Initially switched the Front pads to EBC Red Ceramics to find that the squeal was still coming from the Rears after all. Then switched them also to Red Ceramics and oh so thankfully the low speed squeals are now a distant memory. Also as a bonus the performance and characteristics of the Ebc's are way better than the standard Akebono pads, and that something I thought I would not be saying BUT I am. Well chuffed and now totally enjoying the 370 trip.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - latest update! My Z went in for its first service (one year old) a few weeks ago. I'd decided to live with the low speed brake squeal until then and get it checked out at the service.

I discussed the problem with the dealer when booking the car in and suggested that what was required was probably for the brakes/calipers to be given a full clean out and the back of the pads done with Cupraslip. Having left the car with them, I later got a call saying that it was just a case of the brakes being gunged up with road crap over the Winter and, yes, all that was needed was a proper clean out. This would be £75 on top of the service cost. I reluctantly told them to go ahead as I really wanted the squeal dealt with. When picking up the car, I spoke to the mechanic who confirmed that he'd done the brake clean and road tested the car and the squeal was gone. Great, I thought!

Drove home with no squeal apparent and was really pleased.............untiI I next drove to work which involves slow town driving with a lot of low speed braking for junctions, lights etc. Yes, the squeal was back and, if anything, I'd say it was even worse than before :rant:! As the HPC dealer I took the car to is 145 miles from where I live and I really can't be ar5ed taking it back there again, and I'm going to either strip down the brakes myself or take it to a local independent I've had recommended on the Forum. The last time I had this squeal problem was with an Evo VI I owned a few years ago and trying to cure it nearly drove me insane. As Mayhew820 has found with his Z, the only way to fix it in the end was to change to a different make/compound of pads which solved the problem completely.

I'd also mention that after losing a valve cap last Autumn I'd replaced it and the 3 other plastic ones with nice, shiny metal jobs.......without first lubing the valve stem threads. Really bad idea as the Winter crud had caused them to seize which only became apparent when the mechanic wanted to check the tyre pressures as part of the service. He managed to get 2 of them off but couldn't shift the other 2 and was reluctant to force them further in case the valve snapped. These valves are apparently pressure sensing and cost £120 a pop to replace! I told him to just leave them and managed to get them off myself later using penetrating oil and mole grips. It wasn't at all easy though, and the threads were filled with white powder from the corrosion. I'm now back to plastic caps!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Glad you got sorted too Johnny A. I noticed you departed the Akebono pads lol. It's such a small but very irritating problem BUT totally satisfying when solved. I'm still in heaven with my quiet brakes. Never looked back. Silly really that a company as respected as Akebono can't get the pad compounds quite right for long low speed / low effort braking.....

Edited by MAYHEW820

Ebc Red ceramic pads has solved the low speed squeal on my 350 and the stopping power is good. As a rule I don't rave about Ebc products but the Red ceramics are the best product they do by far.

I'd say reds are a little soft for the zed and will be easy to overheat.

I use yellow and blue stuff pads and they're great. Yellows are my favourite.

I recommend reds to a lot of my customers who run various high performance sports vehicles and none have ever suffered from overheating. Spirited road use will give no overheating issues and no low speed squeal. Yellow and blue stuff are metallic based pads and will know doubt be better placed on track but will not eliminate the low speed squeal the op is looking to solve.

I recommend reds to a lot of my customers who run various high performance sports vehicles and none have ever suffered from overheating. Spirited road use will give no overheating issues and no low speed squeal. Yellow and blue stuff are metallic based pads and will know doubt be better placed on track but will not eliminate the low speed squeal the op is looking to solve.

Yellows are perfect road pads.

I have zero squeal at all whether using blue or yellows. Reds are oem spec pads. Ebc will tell you this themselves. With the zed being so heavy this is what kills them.

Ebc also recently changed they're materials they use in yellows and blues.

Edited by Neilp

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help?! Hope this is the correct thread!

My rear Brembo's are squeaking!! Pads and discs have been replaced. They have plenty of copper grease.. But still squeak!

One has a shim missing but the squealing is coming from both.. At least that's how it sounds..

I can't find any shims online..

The fronts discs and pads have also been replaced however they don't squeak..

The squeaking also doesn't happen straight away.. Takes about 5 minutes of driving and then it happens at light braking. If I push down hard the squeaking stops..

Looking to sell the car.. Garage can't work it out and say the calipers are fine.. Discs and pads are new and I can't see any uneven wear..

Can anyone help?!!!