DIY transponder key programming...........

rob3fiftyz

I only have 1 manufacturers key so I acquired two keys from ebay and 2 new transponders and had 2 blades cut. I have tried to pair the keys with my Z without success, did the old in, out, in out shake it all about the ignition barrel nothing happened, did maybe a dozen or more, nothing!! The blades are ok, they turn on the ignition but cannot get the pairing procedure to start.

What am I doing wrong? Have I got everything to be able to pair the new keys? Would like full functionality with the DIY key. Have heard of other success with other DIY but am doubting now whether it is possible.

Can someone put me out of my misery is it possible or not, or will I have to bite the bullet?

I only have 1 manufacturers key so I acquired two keys from ebay and 2 new transponders and had 2 blades cut. I have tried to pair the keys with my Z without success, did the old in, out, in out shake it all about the ignition barrel nothing happened, did maybe a dozen or more, nothing!! The blades are ok, they turn on the ignition but cannot get the pairing procedure to start.

What am I doing wrong? Have I got everything to be able to pair the new keys? Would like full functionality with the DIY key. Have heard of other success with other DIY but am doubting now whether it is possible.

Can someone put me out of my misery is it possible or not, or will I have to bite the bullet?

Don't know if this helps but i got all three keys with mine and a 4 digit pin number. i'm sure someone said you need this if you need a replacement key? i do however stand to be corrected.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting a very old thread I know, but has any firm solution been found in terms of getting new keys aside from going through nissan? I bought my zed on Saturday with just the one key.

I know a code is needed, but I seem to have a four digit number on a random piece of paper, five digit code in the back of the owners manual and some 8/9 number code on a card with a nissan logo saying use this if a new key is needed.

All very confusing

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, but not straight forward. You can get refurb keys from Ebay fully refurb with new blade. (Around £50 each). But you'll still need a good auto locksmiths to cut the blade and duplicate code (from current key) for immobiliser on your zed (around £100 ish). Once that's done, you'll need to follow procedure as pointed out by Buster above (http://www.350z-uk.c...showtopic=16896 ) to program the transponder for lock/unlock (Free)

I did all above 2 years ago, however I managed to cut and code my key in Malaysia for £25.00. I go back to Malaysia annually and took a risk of getting it done there with my original key only (No, i did not fly my zed to Malaysia). Not sure it will work at first but for £25.00 it's worth a try.........Fired up first time and no issue hence why i know the method above works, just a bit more expensive in UK.

However, few months ago. Whilst i was packing to move to a new house, I've managed to loose the spare key, doh!! Hence I've purchased another key from a breaker this time (Jon@EmperorTuning, a trader here), for £20, a new blade from Ebay for £3.00. Just need to bring it with me on next trip to Malaysia to get it sorted. I'm assuming this will work too.

Edited by veeg33

• 7 months later...

Just an idea 

As the above instructions only cover keys with central locking buttons and the new transponder key I've bought (blade already cut) doesn't have any then thought the following reprogramming method might work. ...

Swap the transponder from the current working key (with central locking buttons) to the new key (without buttons) and vice versa

Start the programming sequence with the new key (without buttons) assuming the working transponder works with the new key

Reprogram the original key (with buttons) as per above instructions to setup the new transponder

Anybody tried this?

Would have thought just swapping the transponder chips between keys is viable

Edited by KUGT4