Admiral insurance... applying stuff to my policy!

ThriftyFifty

So I got in today from work, and have a lovely letter from Admiral sitting on my desk.

Letter claims I didn't disclose vehicle mods on my car... that's strange, because I don't have any

Apparently I made an online quote (which I did) after I had bought my insurance. This online quote was just to see how much a new exhaust/air filter would be, I decided not to do it right now and wait a few months...

Admiral however decided it would be best to apply those modifications to my policy, without having them on my car - GO ADMIRAL.

Upon phoning them, I'm told I have to take it to a garage to get written proof it's not modified. I stated it's their assumption, so I will happily do it if they pay for Fuel + Labour time as it's a 350Z not a 60MPG car. They also said this was required to validate my policy against a claim... so how can I drive it to a garage if my policy isn't "valid" at present?

They have said they cannot pay for that, I have 1 day left (tomorrow) when I can cancel my policy within 14 days... what would you do?

There is no way they could actually validate I made that quote online... which scares me greatly. Anyone could get my plate and make a quote against it with mods, and push my premiums up!

Wow that is weird :scare:

I often try amending my online quote to see how much different mods affect the premium. Just hope I don't get a letter asking for me to insure my new supercharger :lol:

+1, I must have about 800bhp with the amount of mods I've tried out via gocompare by now! :scare:

I would say I was shocked, but I've also experienced stunning levels of customer service muppetry from Admiral. I would have though this would be well worth reporting to the ombudsman, as they're basically straight up calling you a liar and telling you to do something completely impossible and unreasonable to prove to them that you're not.

Cancel the policy and go with someone who employs humans instead of telephone-trained zombies.

DB

Although admiral were cheap for me on one of the cars, when I rang to change the policy I couldnt get anyone in the call centre with more than a single ameoba rattling around in their skull.

I wanted to change the vehicle to a Kuga with a few of the standard "packs" that Ford have as factory options. They couldnt get their head round the fact that these were factory fitted standard components, and wanted a full list of every change the "packs" I had added contained. This was quite ridiculous, as some added things like tinted windows and a glass roof. They added the tinted windows as a modification but the glass roof they didnt need to make not of - even though the glass repair part of the policy includes the roof if fitted... Wheels, xenons, keyless - all sorts of different bits.

After losing my rag a few times trying to explain these were parts of the standard car you get from Ford I told them it had machine guns behind the headlights, automatic spikes that came out of the tyres, rocket launchers in the roofrack rails and an automatic smokescreen and oil slick deployed from the rear, and hung up. Still dont know whats insured and whats not. Juts made sure it says Kuga Titanium X on the policy and thats enough for me, as the titanium X covers all the bits, as its the words titanium and X that are the packs.

Renewal time comes round in a couple of months on that car, and Admiral can shove it up their ring. Absolutely useless.

Worst of all, I did put on that the car had 2 turbos and a supercharger just for amusement to see how much it would cost... thank christ they didn't use that quote, I would currently be sitting on 20k a year premiums with a raped bank account!

Took my last drive tonight, will most likely fight with them in the morning, threaten legal action and either cancel or make them remove it.

Keep pushing up their heirarchy, get transfered not a seperate number to call. The staff have a set rule by rule wether as the line managers can twist the rule to their discretion as i found out when payin my policy. Was told its either in full or monthly, after going through 2 or 3 (with elephant, their all sister companies), the manager gave me 7 day leeway to get some funds, and pay it over few months with no intrest paid.

Lesson learnt - don't ever play with your actual policy or even quote with your correct details online!

Just use dummy details apart from details that effect the price. Lets you quote without being bombarded with marketing and you can even go back to your current insurer to quote the "new customer" price. Also lets you "tweak" the price without setting off alarm bells...

so I phoned the fos this morning and filed a formal complaint.

then phoned admiral who caved and took it off but not offered any compensation for their screwup.

will be phoning back tonight demanding 10 percent off my years premium and if that isn't given I'll cancel the policy on the spot within my 14 days. I will then begin to pursue further with the fos to hold them to account.

then phoned admiral who caved and took it off but not offered any compensation for their screwup.

will be phoning back tonight demanding 10 percent off my years premium and if that isn't given I'll cancel the policy on the spot within my 14 days. I will then begin to pursue further with the fos to hold them to account.

Good on you, I'll offer this advice when I see others in the same situation.

Phoned back and they offered £17.50 compensation. They are phoning back tonight to "confirm" my refund, if I get someone English I will go further and make it clear and I'm looking at pursuing some sort of action against them, Indian lady didn't seem to grasp the concept.

Naturally I took that, but it's nothing and I want to pursue this until I get a formal statement from the company, as well as find out of this is legally backed or not.

I have a good 8 weeks to wait until I can pursue further with the FOS and start an investigation.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have it declared on an insurance certificate, what more proof do you need?

In fact i'm struggling to see why you need any compensation, they screwed up and sorted it out with what doesn't even sound like much hassle.

Can't say i've ever had this problem with them, but then again I don't know why i'd be entering my reg number each time.

There are some other companies which don't even bother adding modifications you discuss with them in detail over the phone, then find out later on you don't actually have them on your policy.

Admiral are the most straight forward insurer i've dealt with so far.

They certainly don't seem to have any unusual get out clauses in their documentation either, unlike some smaller companies.

Edited by RisingPower

Good job because you can't complain to fos until you have exhausted the companies internal complaints procedure and or they have fail to comply the the statutory time scales.

Utter bollocks trying to shaft you. Not even sure how you managed to requote online with the same registration plate as the system won't allow you ......it tells you to call customer services as you're an existing policy holder.??

You only get put through to the call cantre in Halifax for renewals and adjustments and in my experience they were always very good with the zed - it was when I got the diesel saab they tried to bend me over - I threatened to go elswhere and remove the other car and they suddenly dropped the quote by about £200 :lol:

You only get put through to the call cantre in Halifax for renewals and adjustments and in my experience they were always very good with the zed - it was when I got the diesel saab they tried to bend me over - I threatened to go elswhere and remove the other car and they suddenly dropped the quote by about £200 :lol:

I wasn't aware they had a call centre in Halifax, I thought it was Cardiff and India.

I managed to do an online quote for mine before I renewed with them, I don't remember trying anything else out thankfully this time.

I think whether you get an Indian, Welsh or Canadian person depends on what time of day you call ... in my experience the Canadians look after business well

The Canadian I spoke to from a large internet hosting company (the one with TV adverts on our screens at present), was very pleasant indeed. Utterly useless in resolving the issue, but most pleasant.