Soft top wont go down

TameRacingDriver

So, it was a nice morning, and I decided to have some nice winter roof fown motoring. It wasn't particularly cold (I reckon about 7 or 8 degrees), and nice and sunny.

So I try to put the soft top down, and it goes down most of the way, until, it just stops

(sorry about the link it doesn't seem to like my embedded image)

http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77 ... 083041.jpg

I read that they don't like to go down if its too cold but I really don't think it was. Also I'm a little unimpressed by this as when I had my MX5s I used to love winter top down motoring.

I tried closing and opening to see if it would go down, about 10 or 15 times but nothing. It just stops where you see in the picture. It did do it once the other day but it worked the second time. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with the roof.

Others have suggested using silicon spray to lubricate the moving parts. Can anyone give me a pointer as to what I need to spray?

Kind of wished I'd bought a coupe now :(

Kind of wished I'd bought a coupe now

That wouldnt help you mate, my coupe roof doesnt go down either :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I think there's been a few noted issues of this type - sorry i can't help though

The recommended minimum is 5 degrees.

You may get lucky that it will eventually work. People lube all the working parts with silicone spray or similar and this can help. Mine did a similar thing to yours and it turned out to be a switch in the rear compartment that had become misaligned. Abbey Motorport sorted mine out by re-securing the switch in the right position and I have had no issues since. The challenge is working out what the problem is as the sequence it needs to follow runs to many pages of text. Try martinmac who is the expert.

first thing to try is the silicone spray... the places you need to spray are a little outta the way but the best way i can describe them are if you look at the very rear of the hood (the bit that flips up to let the roadster cover lift) in the very left hand and right hand corners you will see what looks like a spring / coil. with the roof down in the position it is currently getting stuck at give these areas a good spray trying to get it in where you cant see then close the roof and try opening it again. they are like worm drives and can stick if not lubed. worth giving all the other moving parts a bit of a spray while your at it :thumbs:

nissan-350z-roadster_12.jpg

something worth noting is that the actual roof on the 350 is quite a thick material, obviously this is good from a sound proofing and strength side of things but it does mean that if its cold the material can be quite stiff. try running the car for a while with the heaters on and then putting the roof down.

When it's cold mine does this sometimes - especially if it's not been down in a while.

It's definitely good to keep the joins lubricated (several people above showing where etc)

I've always managed to overcome it, though, by opening it until it starts to complain a bit - close it halfway, open again, until it complains a bit - close to halfway - open again. After about 3 or 4 goes she'll get over the bit where it goes tight and tuck away.

As I said - it's worse if you've not opened it in a while, so I try and open it every month even in the winter, though I don't do it at sub zero or anything.

I've had my ragtop now for just over 3 years and I'd not go back to a metal roof, it's just soooo much nicer opening the lid on a clear day, and even if it's chilly - well, thats what they made leather jackets for, isn't it?

Good to know it can possibly be overcome. It doesn't seem a great design, but yeah I generally agree about the experience driving open top, it is great, and I love the sound of it when the roof is down.

Actually at the moment my wobbly wing mirrors are more annoying!

I'll have a go with some grease hopefully at the weekend. Most of the time I've had the roof down, its true, it has been warmer than it was today.

It doesn't seem a great design

It was a rush job, the 350Z was designed as a coupe and the roadster was something of an afterthought.

Pete

Just after I bought the car I read the book covering the design history and "story" behind the 350Z and my recollection was that it was always designed with both Roadster and Coupe in mind but no doubt someone will correct me. Nevertheless I agree that the roof may not have been their finest moment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...